Best 'defensive' 22lr ammo. For semi auto rifle - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Best 'defensive' 22lr ammo. For semi auto rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjj342 View Post
I swear Ive seen a bayonet for one somewhere.

Any links to test videos or other info would be awesome.

Im hearing about 60gr subsonics, but they only go like 650fps, which is a little slow. A heavier bullet might make a big difference though, or maybe a fast 40gr round nose.
You're going to have a tough time getting the subsonics to cycle the action in the 10/22, speaking from experience...

Old 11-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OP,
A solid is likely to be better in a .22 as an HP is likely to have insufficient penetration for defensive purposes. Take a look at the 40 gr Aguila Interceptor solid. It is rated at 192 lbs/ft of ME and most definitely feels and sounds hotter out of my Mossberg 40. Feels hotter than Stingers to me.
FWIW
YMMV

Old 11-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #23

Liked 764 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I agree. The .22lr is not optimal, but you can put more rounds on target faster with a .22 than anything else.
You should learn how to shoot then! I'm not saying the .22 does not have its' place, but SD usually happens inside 7 yards. Be realistic. 21 feet is not enough room to depend on a .22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjj342 View Post
I have two 9mms(ruger p95[124+Pgold dot] and sr9c[124+p ranger t]) at the ready, a 20 guage[21in bbl#2buckshot] and a fully converted saiga ak47[sapson 8m3 124grhp].

In short, the 10/22 WILL NOT be the primary weapon of choice. Just a maybe in a long list of 'I hope nots'.
Just wanted to clear that up.
So if you have an appropriate firearm, why ask a loaded question? I'm curious about the +P and +P+ rage. Why? Is 100fps going to save you? Is it the magic bullet?

I'll ask 1 question. How many of you have fired a handgun in a confined space such as a house? The pain is quite intense if you don't know. A shotgun is worse. Your ears and Eyes will hurt. Your ears may bleed. The ringing will be so bad afterwards you may not hear for days, if at all. I fired my .357 in a house once. The sound/ shock brought me to my knees. 1 shot. It is not so easy. My 9 shot .22 revolver is not much better w/ hyper velocity ammo. I actually settled for my 10mm 1911 Gov't w/ Standard 180gr gold dots. If I'm going deaf, and I miss, it is hard to miss a guy w/ bleeding ears and that is shaking all over.
BTW, I have a big territorial dog, so I cover my bases.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:36 PM   #24

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
You should learn how to shoot then! I'm not saying the .22 does not have its' place, but SD usually happens inside 7 yards. Be realistic. 21 feet is not enough room to depend on a .22.

So if you have an appropriate firearm, why ask a loaded question? I'm curious about the +P and +P+ rage. Why? Is 100fps going to save you? Is it the magic bullet?

I'll ask 1 question. How many of you have fired a handgun in a confined space such as a house? The pain is quite intense if you don't know. A shotgun is worse. Y
Quote:
our ears and Eyes will hurt. Your ears may bleed. The ringing will be so bad afterwards you may not hear for days, if at all. I fired my .357 in a house once. The sound/ shock brought me to my knees. 1 shot. I
t is not so easy. My 9 shot .22 revolver is not much better w/ hyper velocity ammo. I actually settled for my 10mm 1911 Gov't w/ Standard 180gr gold dots. If I'm going deaf, and I miss, it is hard to miss a guy w/ bleeding ears and that is shaking all over.
BTW, I have a big territorial dog, so I cover my bases.
O please! Unless you were in a closet at the time thats just nonsense
I've fired a few (biggest 45acp) in small rooms ( say 12x12 ) and NONE of that came close to happening save some ear ringing

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1119 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 239

And least we not forget the actual number of people actually killed with the lowly .22 ranks up there near the top of the list. Ask brady and/or reagan what they think of the lowly .22. Anybody that doesn't believe the .22 is dangerous can volunteer to stand in front of one.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
And least we not forget the actual number of people actually killed with the lowly .22 ranks up there near the top of the list. Ask brady and/or reagan what they think of the lowly .22. Anybody that doesn't believe the .22 is dangerous can volunteer to stand in front of one.
PLEASE dont bring up Brady
I'm still pissed at him for getting shot

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
O please! Unless you were in a closet at the time thats just nonsense
I've fired a few (biggest 45acp) in small rooms ( say 12x12 ) and NONE of that came close to happening save some ear ringing
Oh please? No, not really!
FreeHearingTest.com - Gunfire Noise Levels

Old 11-23-2011, 12:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Yes, I really belive everything i read on the internet
Well, except for this----
Quote:
The pain is quite intense if you don't know. A shotgun is worse. Your ears and Eyes will hurt. Your ears may bleed. The ringing will be so bad afterwards you may not hear for days, if at all. I fired my .357 in a house once. The sound/ shock brought me to my knees.

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-23-2011, 12:45 AM   #29

Seriously? You are correct though. Opinions mean nothing, Not even From A Doc at an institute for the deaf. Oh wait, he had solid data. Never mind, you have personnal experience that trumps all.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2011/08/notes-hearing-loss

Screw it, anyone can do research. My left ear is "not" what it was from that 1 shot. Your just special I guess. I'm starting to dislike Texans!

Old 11-23-2011, 01:23 AM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
I have a lot of squirrels on my place- non of them are "pests"

I HAD a lot of squirrels on my property. And they were "PESTS". Gnawed on my deck and out-buildings and destroyed MANY bird feeders. They're as destructive as rats. As a result, any squirrel I see within thirty feet of my bird feeders WILL GO TO THE LANDFILL. The last time I checked, I didn't see the squirrel on the endangered species list.