Best 'defensive' 22lr ammo. For semi auto rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Best 'defensive' 22lr ammo. For semi auto rifle

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pjj342's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 206
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Best 'defensive' 22lr ammo. For semi auto rifle

I am thinkin about picking up a ruger 10/22. They are a great rifle with cheap hi cap mag options, which is a big reason I want one. Since I wont be able to hunt with it (livin in PA), then I figure it needs to be as defensive as possible. Something for my wife to be able to rap off 25 shots at once if needed.

So it basically comes down to ammo. Ive heard about some really fast newish 22lr loads out there, but I dont think I should go with a hollow point. Id think penetration would be most important in an SD scenario with a 22lr. I will have 25rds at the ready, since with something this small you are going to need to make multiple hits, most times.

I just wanted to see what you guys thought about this and what kinds of ammo you would use.

BTW, this is not going to be my go to SD gun, we each have a 9mm for that. This rifle will just be a plinker, but I want it ready for action in that rare case it would be needed.

__________________
Pjj342 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 11-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,932
Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

CCI Stingers
Remmington Yellow Jackets

__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,170
Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

The ones that can be aimed at the proper soft spots; perhaps a lazer or optic of some kind would be beneficial. Do they make a bayonet for the 10-22?

__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pjj342's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 206
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

I swear Ive seen a bayonet for one somewhere.

Any links to test videos or other info would be awesome.

Im hearing about 60gr subsonics, but they only go like 650fps, which is a little slow. A heavier bullet might make a big difference though, or maybe a fast 40gr round nose.

__________________
Pjj342 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,047
Liked 734 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 761

Default

A big dog and use the $ for dog food. Get her a good old fashioned hat pin. A .22lr for self defense?

__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,932
Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
The ones that can be aimed at the proper soft spots; perhaps a lazer or optic of some kind would be beneficial. Do they make a bayonet for the 10-22?
Shud- They make everything else for the 10-22
__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Raleigh,North Carolina
Posts: 57
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjj342 View Post
I am thinkin about picking up a ruger 10/22. They are a great rifle with cheap hi cap mag options, which is a big reason I want one. Since I wont be able to hunt with it (livin in PA), then I figure it needs to be as defensive as possible. Something for my wife to be able to rap off 25 shots at once if needed.

So it basically comes down to ammo. Ive heard about some really fast newish 22lr loads out there, but I dont think I should go with a hollow point. Id think penetration would be most important in an SD scenario with a 22lr. I will have 25rds at the ready, since with something this small you are going to need to make multiple hits, most times.

I just wanted to see what you guys thought about this and what kinds of ammo you would use.

BTW, this is not going to be my go to SD gun, we each have a 9mm for that. This rifle will just be a plinker, but I want it ready for action in that rare case it would be needed.
If you want to keep a 10/22 loaded with a high capacity magazine for "backup" home defense, I'd consider loading the magazines with CCI's 40 gr Segmented Copper Plated Hollow Points if they'll cycle in the 10/22- I've got two of them and the afore mentioned CCI's will cycle on a satisfactory basis in my near-stock 10/22, but not well in my 10/22 target gun. I suggest the CCI segmented .22 ammo because of what it does when I bust pest squirrels- they penetrate well. The effect is multi through-shot exit wounds at 25 feet.

For the stock, Pjj342, check out Cheaper Than Dirt. They sell the Promag Archangel Ruger 10/22 Stock Black Includes Buttstock Picatinny Rail Bayonet
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2PMAA556R-1.html
__________________

Last edited by somawas; 11-21-2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Want to add info.
somawas is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,932
Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somawas View Post
If you want to keep a 10/22 loaded with a high capacity magazine for "backup" home defense, I'd consider loading the magazines with CCI's 40 gr Segmented Copper Plated Hollow Points if they'll cycle in the 10/22- I've got two of them and the afore mentioned CCI's will cycle on a satisfactory basis in my near-stock 10/22, but not well in my 10/22 target gun. I suggest the CCI segmented .22 ammo
Quote:
because of what it does when I bust pest squirrels-
they penetrate well. The effect is multi through-shot exit wounds at 25 feet.

For the stock, Pjj342, check out Cheaper Than Dirt. They sell the Promag Archangel Ruger 10/22 Stock Black Includes Buttstock Picatinny Rail Bayonet
2-PMAA556R - Promag Archangel Ruger 10/22 Stock Black Includes Buttstock Picatinny Rail Bayonet
I have a lot of squirrels on my place- non of them are "pests"

__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET


Last edited by HOSSFLY; 11-21-2011 at 11:10 PM.
HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:09 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 6,329
Liked 2181 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Default

The hollow point will work with a rifle but not a pistol. I have a M&P 15-22 set up for my wife. It has a laser and a 1.5-6x scope with a lit reticle. I tried it out yesterday and at 8 yards with the laser it is deadly. The scope is left on 1.5x and is set at 25 yards. you can keep both eyes open on low power and it is not battery dependent. The 10-22 can be set up the same way. If you have a barrel band, it can be replaced with one that has mounting bases on it to take a laser. Test the rifle with the loads you are going to use. It has to be 100% reliable. The M&P choked on Velocitors and I have not had a chance to check out the other super loads. Hers is loaded with 38 grn hollow points that have been tested for reliability. Test the magazines too. The new Ruger made 25 rnd mags are the best I have seen. Do not use mags with plastic lips.

__________________

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

JTJ is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Snakedriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 848
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

I've got a couple of bricks of the Remington Yellow Jackets laid back for this use.

The .22lr ammo clasification that they fall in is called Hyper-Velocity with a speed around 1550 fps at the muzzle. Despite being very fast, I haven't found one brand in particular that is very accurate in either of my 10/22's though.

On the other hand, Federal 550 Bulk Pack ammo from Walmart has a velocity of around 1,250 fps at the muzzle using a 36gr hollow point and give me very good accuracy. Considering the BIG difference in price between the Bulk Pack and the Hyper-Velocity ammo, I think I'll stick with the Fed. 550.

Here's an interesting ammo test report you may enjoy reading:

.22 Ammunition Trials

ETA: If you want Hyper-Velocity ammo with a 36gr. solid go with the the Remington Viper:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/41059-5.html#Reviews

__________________
Fear is a Reaction..............Courage is a Decision

Last edited by Snakedriver; 11-21-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Snakedriver is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Best holster for full size .22lr semi auto ( s&w m&p .22). 40calcliffy Semi-Auto Handguns 2 10-08-2011 03:39 PM
Holster for a .22lr semi-auto? 40calcliffy Firearm Accessories & Gear 8 08-21-2011 10:16 PM
Colt M16 22lr Semi Auto Rifle Cope's Distributing Sponsor Display 0 06-14-2011 03:27 PM
Walther p-22 semi auto .22lr pistol (sku:qap22003) $347.32 Cope's Distributing Sponsor Display 0 04-21-2011 07:34 PM
CZ 512 semi-auto 22lr, first impressions armoredman .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 3 01-27-2011 08:29 PM