Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Best 'defensive' 22lr ammo. For semi auto rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/best-defensive-22lr-ammo-semi-auto-rifle-52208/)

Pjj342 11-21-2011 09:59 PM

Best 'defensive' 22lr ammo. For semi auto rifle

I am thinkin about picking up a ruger 10/22. They are a great rifle with cheap hi cap mag options, which is a big reason I want one. Since I wont be able to hunt with it (livin in PA), then I figure it needs to be as defensive as possible. Something for my wife to be able to rap off 25 shots at once if needed.

So it basically comes down to ammo. Ive heard about some really fast newish 22lr loads out there, but I dont think I should go with a hollow point. Id think penetration would be most important in an SD scenario with a 22lr. I will have 25rds at the ready, since with something this small you are going to need to make multiple hits, most times.

I just wanted to see what you guys thought about this and what kinds of ammo you would use.

BTW, this is not going to be my go to SD gun, we each have a 9mm for that. This rifle will just be a plinker, but I want it ready for action in that rare case it would be needed.

HOSSFLY 11-21-2011 10:13 PM

CCI Stingers
Remmington Yellow Jackets

orangello 11-21-2011 10:15 PM

The ones that can be aimed at the proper soft spots; perhaps a lazer or optic of some kind would be beneficial. Do they make a bayonet for the 10-22?

Pjj342 11-21-2011 10:19 PM

I swear Ive seen a bayonet for one somewhere.

Any links to test videos or other info would be awesome.

Im hearing about 60gr subsonics, but they only go like 650fps, which is a little slow. A heavier bullet might make a big difference though, or maybe a fast 40gr round nose.

jpattersonnh 11-21-2011 10:54 PM

A big dog and use the $ for dog food. Get her a good old fashioned hat pin. A .22lr for self defense?

HOSSFLY 11-21-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 633055)
The ones that can be aimed at the proper soft spots; perhaps a lazer or optic of some kind would be beneficial. Do they make a bayonet for the 10-22?

Shud- They make everything else for the 10-22 :D

somawas 11-21-2011 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pjj342 (Post 633040)
I am thinkin about picking up a ruger 10/22. They are a great rifle with cheap hi cap mag options, which is a big reason I want one. Since I wont be able to hunt with it (livin in PA), then I figure it needs to be as defensive as possible. Something for my wife to be able to rap off 25 shots at once if needed.

So it basically comes down to ammo. Ive heard about some really fast newish 22lr loads out there, but I dont think I should go with a hollow point. Id think penetration would be most important in an SD scenario with a 22lr. I will have 25rds at the ready, since with something this small you are going to need to make multiple hits, most times.

I just wanted to see what you guys thought about this and what kinds of ammo you would use.

BTW, this is not going to be my go to SD gun, we each have a 9mm for that. This rifle will just be a plinker, but I want it ready for action in that rare case it would be needed.

If you want to keep a 10/22 loaded with a high capacity magazine for "backup" home defense, I'd consider loading the magazines with CCI's 40 gr Segmented Copper Plated Hollow Points if they'll cycle in the 10/22- I've got two of them and the afore mentioned CCI's will cycle on a satisfactory basis in my near-stock 10/22, but not well in my 10/22 target gun. I suggest the CCI segmented .22 ammo because of what it does when I bust pest squirrels- they penetrate well. The effect is multi through-shot exit wounds at 25 feet.

For the stock, Pjj342, check out Cheaper Than Dirt. They sell the Promag Archangel Ruger 10/22 Stock Black Includes Buttstock Picatinny Rail Bayonet
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2PMAA556R-1.html

HOSSFLY 11-22-2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somawas (Post 633148)
If you want to keep a 10/22 loaded with a high capacity magazine for "backup" home defense, I'd consider loading the magazines with CCI's 40 gr Segmented Copper Plated Hollow Points if they'll cycle in the 10/22- I've got two of them and the afore mentioned CCI's will cycle on a satisfactory basis in my near-stock 10/22, but not well in my 10/22 target gun. I suggest the CCI segmented .22 ammo
Quote:

because of what it does when I bust pest squirrels-
they penetrate well. The effect is multi through-shot exit wounds at 25 feet.

For the stock, Pjj342, check out Cheaper Than Dirt. They sell the Promag Archangel Ruger 10/22 Stock Black Includes Buttstock Picatinny Rail Bayonet
2-PMAA556R - Promag Archangel Ruger 10/22 Stock Black Includes Buttstock Picatinny Rail Bayonet

I have a lot of squirrels on my place- non of them are "pests" :confused:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ameraCc004.jpg

JTJ 11-22-2011 12:09 AM

The hollow point will work with a rifle but not a pistol. I have a M&P 15-22 set up for my wife. It has a laser and a 1.5-6x scope with a lit reticle. I tried it out yesterday and at 8 yards with the laser it is deadly. The scope is left on 1.5x and is set at 25 yards. you can keep both eyes open on low power and it is not battery dependent. The 10-22 can be set up the same way. If you have a barrel band, it can be replaced with one that has mounting bases on it to take a laser. Test the rifle with the loads you are going to use. It has to be 100% reliable. The M&P choked on Velocitors and I have not had a chance to check out the other super loads. Hers is loaded with 38 grn hollow points that have been tested for reliability. Test the magazines too. The new Ruger made 25 rnd mags are the best I have seen. Do not use mags with plastic lips.

Snakedriver 11-22-2011 12:46 AM

I've got a couple of bricks of the Remington Yellow Jackets laid back for this use.

The .22lr ammo clasification that they fall in is called Hyper-Velocity with a speed around 1550 fps at the muzzle. Despite being very fast, I haven't found one brand in particular that is very accurate in either of my 10/22's though.

On the other hand, Federal 550 Bulk Pack ammo from Walmart has a velocity of around 1,250 fps at the muzzle using a 36gr hollow point and give me very good accuracy. Considering the BIG difference in price between the Bulk Pack and the Hyper-Velocity ammo, I think I'll stick with the Fed. 550. :cool:

Here's an interesting ammo test report you may enjoy reading:

.22 Ammunition Trials

ETA: If you want Hyper-Velocity ammo with a 36gr. solid go with the the Remington Viper:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/41059-5.html#Reviews