Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   best .22lr bolt action rimfire for adult beginner? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/best-22lr-bolt-action-rimfire-adult-beginner-67605/)

mike2021 07-04-2012 03:25 PM

best .22lr bolt action rimfire for adult beginner?

I am 22 years old and I am new to shooting. I have been shooting with my brothers ruger 10/22 and my other brother's Henry golden boy lever action and decided it would be nice to get a bolt action rim fire in the family, problem is I don't know which one is best for my budget of 300$ max. Less expensive is always better. I'm really into accuracy and getting a solid foundation of shooting skills, and one day in the future go small game hunting.
I know savage mark 2 series is always mentioned but I'm interested in knowing if there is any difference besides price between all models that fall under the "mark 2 series" I need it to be .22lr because of cheap ammo.

Thanks in advance guys!!

ktmboyz 07-04-2012 04:45 PM

I have a Savage bolt in 17hmr and love it .. I would like to get one in 22lr also, so I guess my vote would be the Savage. You can pick up the scoped combos pretty cheap from time to time.

Axxe55 07-04-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike2021 (Post 858726)
I am 22 years old and I am new to shooting. I have been shooting with my brothers ruger 10/22 and my other brother's Henry golden boy lever action and decided it would be nice to get a bolt action rim fire in the family, problem is I don't know which one is best for my budget of 300$ max. Less expensive is always better. I'm really into accuracy and getting a solid foundation of shooting skills, and one day in the future go small game hunting.
I know savage mark 2 series is always mentioned but I'm interested in knowing if there is any difference besides price between all models that fall under the "mark 2 series" I need it to be .22lr because of cheap ammo.

Thanks in advance guys!!

Mike, check out the Marlins and the Savages. both make some very accurate and would fall well within your budget. Marlin and Savage both have bolt actions in either a box magazine or tube type magazine versions. different stock options and barrel options. optins of either open sights or using a scope. i have a Savage M93r17, which i bought about eight years ago and really like it. my next rimfire is going to be the new Marlin XT22 in 22 Magnum. check out the Marlin and the Savage websites to see what suits your fancy. good luck and enjoy.

mike2021 07-04-2012 06:02 PM

Thank you guys for the quick response! I think I remember carrying the marlin xt22 and felt that it was very barrel heavy. I also carried the savage mark 2 f and it's weight seemed much more evenly distributed. I don't know what's best for accuracy. Does marlin have an edge on savage? Or are they basically the same?

Axxe55 07-04-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike2021 (Post 858867)
Thank you guys for the quick response! I think I remember carrying the marlin xt22 and felt that it was very barrel heavy. I also carried the savage mark 2 f and it's weight seemed much more evenly distributed. I don't know what's best for accuracy. Does marlin have an edge on savage? Or are they basically the same?

even though i own the Savage and am very happy with it, my Marlin rimfire is just as accurate at shorter ranges. the Savage is a M93r17, in 17HMR and the Marlin is a M60 in 22lr. the Marlins have better rifling in the barrels, but truth be known, they are pretty close in accuracy. Marlin or Savage, you won't be disappointed with either one.

mike2021 07-04-2012 06:36 PM

What's the difference in ammo being 17hmr or 22lr? Is one more expensive than the other?

I knew savage was a definite option but I'm just curious to know if all models under the "mark 2 series" are as accurate. Cause they have like 15-20 models labeled "mark II" the one I picked up was the "mark II F"

Axxe55 07-04-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike2021 (Post 858902)
What's the difference in ammo being 17hmr or 22lr? Is one more expensive than the other?

I knew savage was a definite option but I'm just curious to know if all models under the "mark 2 series" are as accurate. Cause they have like 15-20 models labeled "mark II" the one I picked up was the "mark II F"

17HMR is a 22WMR necked down to a 17 caliber bullet. bore is much smaller that a 22. yes 17HMR ammo is somewhat more expensive than 22lr ammo. i pay about $13-15 per 50 rounds.

pretty much as far as accuracy. the different letter codes are just different options on the series. some have wood stocks, some synthetic, different barrel contours, ect...

JTJ 07-04-2012 08:21 PM

My wife has a Savage MKII FV in17HM2 and I have a MKII FV-SR in 22lr. Very good rifles. The FV-SR has a 16" barrel that is threaded for a suppressor or other accessories.

mike2021 07-04-2012 08:39 PM

The problem with the fv-sr for me is the fact that it has no iron sights. The gun looks beautiful through. though I do eventually want to put a scope on it, at the moment I want to practice fundamentals on plain sights.

jpattersonnh 07-04-2012 10:40 PM

If it were me, I'd look for a Mossberg U.S. '44 or Winchester Targetmaster. Both are fairly old, but are incredible shooters. I like my dads old 1952 JC Higgins (Marlin 100) .22s l lr. Very accurate out past 100 yards w/ iron sights.