The Best 22 Rifle? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > The Best 22 Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 04:16 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have had enough problems with Ruger guns I do not even own one anymore. When Bill Ruger was alive they made some good guns now the bean counters run the company and the bottom line. Ruger has sent out some guns that should have never left the factory. I know all gun companies can make a lemon once in a while but you get burnt enough like two SA pistols in one year that shot patterns in stead of groups you get a little jaded on that particular brand.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:17 AM   #22

Likes Given: 1

I bought a Ruger 10-22 at Walmart some years back. It's a great rifle, don't think I'd ever part with it.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:03 AM   #23
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh45gun View Post
I have had enough problems with Ruger guns I do not even own one anymore. When Bill Ruger was alive they made some good guns now the bean counters run the company and the bottom line. Ruger has sent out some guns that should have never left the factory. I know all gun companies can make a lemon once in a while but you get burnt enough like two SA pistols in one year that shot patterns in stead of groups you get a little jaded on that particular brand.
Sorry to hear that. I have 3 Rugers right now and haven't had one problem with any of them.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 03-21-2013, 05:42 AM   #24

I have had 5 10/22s two Single Sixes 4 Mark 1 or II pistols and a Model 77 243. So it is not like I have not given Ruger a fair chance. Out of them guns all 10/22s worked flawlessly but the 4 standard ones were plinker grade accuracy at best. [yes I am well aware of using different brands of 22 ammo to see what shoots best] One Single six was a keeper but I got rid of it for a trade on an other gun. Same with one 44 but the other Single Six I had in later years as with the 44 shot patterns instead of groups. Probably why both were on the used gun rack and they went back there too and I told them why. The one Mark I I had did not shoot worth beans no matter who shot it. It was just off. The three other Mark IIs I had were ok no complaints but I did not keep them. The S&W 22 A I have now shoots to me better and I like the feel of it better than the Rugers. Only Ruger I regret getting rid of was the 77 and that was because I felt since I am left handed I wanted a semi auto. Poor trade I traded for a Remington 742 not knowing of the receiver issues. I truly regret getting rid of the 77 now I just use RH bolt guns and consider the fact I am a bit slower with them having to move the gun down to move the bolt but seldom do I need a second shot anyway. Bottom line is for me I have had a couple of Rugers that were great guns and I am sorry I was dumb enough to get rid of them. I have also learned that not all guns are equal you have a good one keep it. I found that getting a replacement model for one you may have lost or sold or traded does not always mean you will get as good a gun the second or third time around. Some of the later Rugers were disappointments enough so that I would never buy an other one unless I could shoot it and since most guns are bought in gun shops or shows that is not possible.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:48 AM   #25
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh45gun View Post
I have had 5 10/22s two Single Sixes 4 Mark 1 or II pistols and a Model 77 243. So it is not like I have not given Ruger a fair chance. Out of them guns all 10/22s worked flawlessly but the 4 standard ones were plinker grade accuracy at best. [yes I am well aware of using different brands of 22 ammo to see what shoots best] One Single six was a keeper but I got rid of it for a trade on an other gun. Same with one 44 but the other Single Six I had in later years as with the 44 shot patterns instead of groups. Probably why both were on the used gun rack and they went back there too and I told them why. The one Mark I I had did not shoot worth beans no matter who shot it. It was just off. The three other Mark IIs I had were ok no complaints but I did not keep them. The S&W 22 A I have now shoots to me better and I like the feel of it better than the Rugers. Only Ruger I regret getting rid of was the 77 and that was because I felt since I am left handed I wanted a semi auto. Poor trade I traded for a Remington 742 not knowing of the receiver issues. I truly regret getting rid of the 77 now I just use RH bolt guns and consider the fact I am a bit slower with them having to move the gun down to move the bolt but seldom do I need a second shot anyway. Bottom line is for me I have had a couple of Rugers that were great guns and I am sorry I was dumb enough to get rid of them. I have also learned that not all guns are equal you have a good one keep it. I found that getting a replacement model for one you may have lost or sold or traded does not always mean you will get as good a gun the second or third time around. Some of the later Rugers were disappointments enough so that I would never buy an other one unless I could shoot it and since most guns are bought in gun shops or shows that is not possible.
Ugh. That would have to be frustrating. You're one of the very few reports I've heard of people having bad experiences with Ruger. That many bad experiences would definitely sour me.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 03-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #26

I've the Marlin 60 ss in stainless steel, perfect 14 shot no frills semi auto, got mine for $150 and added a .22 scope. Shoot Lincoln pennies in half all the time at 50 feet!

Last edited by jeanp1948; 03-21-2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Old 03-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #27

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 22

My 1st rifle was a 10/22 and Ive owned SEVERAL since = stock or modified they are shoters right out of the box and there is probably a million ways to custumize them. Marlin 60's are rock solid perfomers and just like the 10, you cant buy enough ammo to wear 1 out. NOW as far as accuracy = CZ bolt actions will out perform either of the ones I mentioned. About a year ago I bought a CZ 455 American, it has interchangable barrels 22lr-22mag-17hmr. It only takes 5 minutes to change a barrel out (only downer about this is your gonna need 3 scopes) I LOVE THIS LITTLE RIFLE! If your serious about hunting or shooting competition,this is the way to go. You can buy it in any caliber for same price (about $350ish and keep as is or buy the different barrels from CZ America afterwards,about $125 a piece. I have 3 rimfire rifles that are cold forged and fully floated for the price of a Smith "AR" .22 and it will out shoot any of the above mentioned rifles because it a bolt action and they ALWAYS out perform semi autos. I own several 10/22's a Marlin 60 and have shot 66's ect. = they are all GREAT = just thought id give you something to think about. Unless your into serious competitive/extreme rimfire shooting you dont need an Anshutz/Winchester 52 ect. Im a woring man who has collected guns for 40 yr.s and I can hang with those guys pretty well. My brother has a Henry and its SWEET also. Hell,they're all realy good rifles,just thought Id put in my 2 cents.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #28

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh45gun
I have had 5 Ruger 10/22s in my life time so far. Any Marlin 6o and their cousins will out shoot the Ruger guns hands down every time. Yea they do not have the after market accessories the Ruger can get. But I would rather have a accurate gun out of the box over accessories. Now I have two 22 rifles both are Marlin Model 80 Bolt actions and both are tack drivers. I gave up on the mediocre 10/22 accuracy. Sure they are accurate enough for plinking and some show good groups with the ammo they like but my experience with them is there are more accurate guns out there that will out shine them. The only Ruger 10/22 I ever had that was really accurate was the target model and it just was too heavy to be considered a field gun.
My 10/22 is the most accurate open sight rifle I have ever owned.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #29

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockBurg View Post
am now considering my first semi-auto rifle... Primarily for range and fun.
It is really hard to beat a Marlin 60 for price & results. Plenty of used ones or you can have a brand new one.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #30

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

of semi auto brands? like all who have posted you should see a trend, Ruger & Marlin and most any modern semi auto ranges from good and above. It will all come down to what you prefer. go to a gun shop or gun show and decide what TYPE you like first. classic or tactical. then see what ones fit your build and such. I've seen guys at a range where the stock was too big or too small for them and it border lined on the hilarious to see them try to shoot.

the comments on adding changing and tweeking are valid and do consider those in your decision.

good luck