Barrel Questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Barrel Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Barrel Questions

I have a stock ruger 10/22 and it's fairly accurate to a decent ranger but i want it pin point accurate at a little bit father out like a 100 yards or more and i am looking to get a bull barrel along with a new stock but some people say that bull barrels don't increase accuracy but a lot of people say it does and i just don't know which one is true i think it would but i don't know for sure so i was wanting to see if a bull barrel does increase accuracy at longer ranges

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm no expert, but I believe the added weight of a bull barrel lends itself to stability when firing, and is slower to be affected by heat when you're firing more than one round.

I don't know if the effects on barrel harmonics increases accuracy or not. I would assume it would.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #3

Default .22 lr for 100 yards

Ammo, better trigger, bi-pod and a lot of practice.
Target ammo which means far more expensive will reduce your groupings
A better trigger, reduced to as low as safe and without take up and such will help.
A bi-pod or steady rest will do wonders at longer range.
Barrels will also help,,,,but,,,,
It's normally a FULL package to reduce group size, not just one item.
5000 rounds down range will do wonders to make a weapon live up to the owners expectations and hopes.
A good shooter with an ok weapon will outshoot a so-so shooter with a weapon with all the bells and such each and every time.
I killed an 8 pound jack rabbit with a $110.00 Gamo .17 from Walmart last evening at about one hundred yards. Single shot to the head, but I was wearing my eyeglasses

You may find me dead in a ditch one day, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass!

Old 05-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #4

i have my trigger down to 3 pound now and with the stock i have i can't put a bio pod on that's another reason i want a new stock and my brother has a thumb hole stock on his 17hmr and i really like it in the future i am looking to get a new trigger and some other internal parts but first i want to get a good barrel the ammo i am shooting is not real expensive ammo but i can hit the back of a nail at over 30 yards with it consistently but like i said i want to stretch it out to about 100 yards

Old 05-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #5

A bull barrel will probably improve accuracy, but an aftermarket barrel from a reputable company will almost certainly be more accurate than the factory barrel. I just bought a new 10/22 because it was on sale. Immediately swapped the barrel for a Kidd bull barrel, which made a huge difference. Then switched to target ammo, which made another big difference. Then switched to a Boyd stock (I have metal pins in my neck which make it very difficult to bring my head down to get a good cheek weld. The Boyd Barracuda has a Monte Carlo cheek, which is high, and allows me to actually get a good cheek weld and even see through the scope.) I reworked the stock trigger with a Power Custom kit, then did some polishing and smoothing, particularly to the bolt. The trigger pull was down to about 3 pounds with no pre-travel, so it was a very specific break. However, I then swapped in a buddy's Kidd trigger (mine is on backorder), and that made an enormous difference. It's a 2-stage and set to break at about 6 ounces. As a result, I jerk the rifle a lot less. I'm a pistol shooter, and this is my first experience with a .22. After about 2,000 rounds I can now put 5 into one lopsided hole at 50 yards. Not everytime, but frequently enough. Has also improved my pistol shooting!

Recommendations: first try some high grade ammo, practice, then a new barrel, practice, a new stock if you need one, practice, then either a trigger job by a pro or a replacement trigger, then some more practice.

YMMV :-)

Rog

Old 05-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Aftermarket bull barrels increase accuracy several ways over the factory barrels. The bull barrels have tighter chambers, shorter throats, more uniform bore & rifling size, and vibrate less than sporter weight barrels-especially when compared to factory barrels. I just got done building a bull barreled 10/22 and it shoots great. You can cover over a 10 shot group at 75 yards with a dime. I used a Hogue stock & a plain blued model of Green Mountain bull barrel. I can TOTALLY recommend this barrel (86$ wholesale from Brownells or Midway). The Hogue stock comes complete with sling swivel studs for about 75$ or so.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 05-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #7

thanks for all the help the only thing that made me hesitate is that it was going to cost about 300$ because the stock i have wont fit a bull barrel so i am going to have to buy the bull barrel and a new stock

Old 05-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #8

It shouldn't cost you more than 200$ if you order the exact same barrel & stock that I used.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #9

well the barrel is a green mountain stain less steal fluted barrel that cost 144$ plus tax and the stock is a Revolution tundra thumb hole stock and it cost 145$ plus tax and then you also have shipping what stock and barrel do you have

Old 05-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #10

I have the plain ol blued barrel (Green Mountain) and plain Hogue stock.