Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (
-   -   Barrel Questions (

oneshotonekill 05-14-2011 05:38 PM

Barrel Questions
I have a stock ruger 10/22 and it's fairly accurate to a decent ranger but i want it pin point accurate at a little bit father out like a 100 yards or more and i am looking to get a bull barrel along with a new stock but some people say that bull barrels don't increase accuracy but a lot of people say it does and i just don't know which one is true i think it would but i don't know for sure so i was wanting to see if a bull barrel does increase accuracy at longer ranges

Jesse17 05-14-2011 05:55 PM

I'm no expert, but I believe the added weight of a bull barrel lends itself to stability when firing, and is slower to be affected by heat when you're firing more than one round.

I don't know if the effects on barrel harmonics increases accuracy or not. I would assume it would.

yellowhand 05-14-2011 06:15 PM

.22 lr for 100 yards
Ammo, better trigger, bi-pod and a lot of practice.
Target ammo which means far more expensive will reduce your groupings
A better trigger, reduced to as low as safe and without take up and such will help.
A bi-pod or steady rest will do wonders at longer range.
Barrels will also help,,,,but,,,,
It's normally a FULL package to reduce group size, not just one item.
5000 rounds down range will do wonders to make a weapon live up to the owners expectations and hopes.
A good shooter with an ok weapon will outshoot a so-so shooter with a weapon with all the bells and such each and every time.
I killed an 8 pound jack rabbit with a $110.00 Gamo .17 from Walmart last evening at about one hundred yards. Single shot to the head, but I was wearing my eyeglasses:):D:);)

oneshotonekill 05-14-2011 06:55 PM

i have my trigger down to 3 pound now and with the stock i have i can't put a bio pod on that's another reason i want a new stock and my brother has a thumb hole stock on his 17hmr and i really like it in the future i am looking to get a new trigger and some other internal parts but first i want to get a good barrel the ammo i am shooting is not real expensive ammo but i can hit the back of a nail at over 30 yards with it consistently but like i said i want to stretch it out to about 100 yards

rmloeb 05-14-2011 07:48 PM

A bull barrel will probably improve accuracy, but an aftermarket barrel from a reputable company will almost certainly be more accurate than the factory barrel. I just bought a new 10/22 because it was on sale. Immediately swapped the barrel for a Kidd bull barrel, which made a huge difference. Then switched to target ammo, which made another big difference. Then switched to a Boyd stock (I have metal pins in my neck which make it very difficult to bring my head down to get a good cheek weld. The Boyd Barracuda has a Monte Carlo cheek, which is high, and allows me to actually get a good cheek weld and even see through the scope.) I reworked the stock trigger with a Power Custom kit, then did some polishing and smoothing, particularly to the bolt. The trigger pull was down to about 3 pounds with no pre-travel, so it was a very specific break. However, I then swapped in a buddy's Kidd trigger (mine is on backorder), and that made an enormous difference. It's a 2-stage and set to break at about 6 ounces. As a result, I jerk the rifle a lot less. I'm a pistol shooter, and this is my first experience with a .22. After about 2,000 rounds I can now put 5 into one lopsided hole at 50 yards. Not everytime, but frequently enough. Has also improved my pistol shooting!

Recommendations: first try some high grade ammo, practice, then a new barrel, practice, a new stock if you need one, practice, then either a trigger job by a pro or a replacement trigger, then some more practice.

YMMV :-)

stalkingbear 05-14-2011 08:36 PM

Aftermarket bull barrels increase accuracy several ways over the factory barrels. The bull barrels have tighter chambers, shorter throats, more uniform bore & rifling size, and vibrate less than sporter weight barrels-especially when compared to factory barrels. I just got done building a bull barreled 10/22 and it shoots great. You can cover over a 10 shot group at 75 yards with a dime. I used a Hogue stock & a plain blued model of Green Mountain bull barrel. I can TOTALLY recommend this barrel (86$ wholesale from Brownells or Midway). The Hogue stock comes complete with sling swivel studs for about 75$ or so.

oneshotonekill 05-14-2011 08:46 PM

thanks for all the help the only thing that made me hesitate is that it was going to cost about 300$ because the stock i have wont fit a bull barrel so i am going to have to buy the bull barrel and a new stock

stalkingbear 05-14-2011 08:48 PM

It shouldn't cost you more than 200$ if you order the exact same barrel & stock that I used.

oneshotonekill 05-14-2011 09:46 PM

well the barrel is a green mountain stain less steal fluted barrel that cost 144$ plus tax and the stock is a Revolution tundra thumb hole stock and it cost 145$ plus tax and then you also have shipping what stock and barrel do you have

stalkingbear 05-14-2011 09:48 PM

I have the plain ol blued barrel (Green Mountain) and plain Hogue stock.