bargin bin finds
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

bargin bin finds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default bargin bin finds

didnt see any thread like this in the first 3 pages so i wanted to start one. i want to see what you found at your local pawn or gun shop that you would kick yourself for not getting. it could be something that's real rough on the outside but shoots better than new or something that simply has a ridiculously low price.

my "find" is my glenfield model 60, which i got for $100 plus tax and the stupid $6 state law-required lock (which isnt even usable on my gun; its one that goes through the magazine port and chamber ). the barrel and tube have lots of small rust spots and has an odd quark, the last round doesnt like feeding. i always have to use a knife to get it to feed correctly. i gave it a cleaning so i'll see if that fixes the issue. if it helps, i'll give it a more through cleaning; if it doesnt help, i'll take it back to have the gunsmith take a look. i'll take pics tomorrow, including the weird feeding issue if it persists. shoots well though, damn accurate.

i plan to go back next month to get a couple more i didnt even intend to get one today, err, yesterday. talk about an impulse buy!
big shrek Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22308 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by moron88 View Post
didnt see any thread like this in the first 3 pages so i wanted to start one. i want to see what you found at your local pawn or gun shop that you would kick yourself for not getting. it could be something that's real rough on the outside but shoots better than new or something that simply has a ridiculously low price.

my "find" is my glenfield model 60, which i got for $100 plus tax and the stupid $6 state law-required lock (which isnt even usable on my gun; its one that goes through the magazine port and chamber ). the barrel and tube have lots of small rust spots and has an odd quark, the last round doesnt like feeding. i always have to use a knife to get it to feed correctly. i gave it a cleaning so i'll see if that fixes the issue. if it helps, i'll give it a more through cleaning; if it doesnt help, i'll take it back to have the gunsmith take a look. i'll take pics tomorrow, including the weird feeding issue if it persists. shoots well though, damn accurate.

i plan to go back next month to get a couple more i didnt even intend to get one today, err, yesterday. talk about an impulse buy!
i am always on the prowl for bargin bin finds! the last one was an older, (1971 vintage) Remington M700 in 30-06 in rough condition. shot very well though. i only paid $250 for it at a local pawn shop. i have recently refinished it's aftermarket walnut stock, cleaned it up, adjusted the trigger, glassbedded the stock, and mounted a new scop on it to replace the very old Bushnell that was on it. i think i have about $400 tied up in it so far.

there are some good deals to be had if you just go looking and some are definate diamonds in the rough.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i've been wondering, what exactly is glass bedding and what are the benefits? i assume it's lining the inside with fiber glass but i dont see the point. i might try refinishing my barrel if i find a good enough tutorial on bluing. my grandpa said all you do is take some sandpaper to it to remove the existing bluing/paint then apply a few thin coats of blue but i tend to mess things up easily.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22308 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by moron88 View Post
i've been wondering, what exactly is glass bedding and what are the benefits? i assume it's lining the inside with fiber glass but i dont see the point. i might try refinishing my barrel if i find a good enough tutorial on bluing. my grandpa said all you do is take some sandpaper to it to remove the existing bluing/paint then apply a few thin coats of blue but i tend to mess things up easily.
glassbedding mates the reciever to the stock with a layer of fiberglass like material. it makes them fit as if they were made for each other and enhances accuracy quit a bit if done correctly. just google glassbedding a rifle stock and read up on it. i understand it but would be hard for me to put all of into words and explain it.