Bad .22 ammo or malfunctioning gun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Bad .22 ammo or malfunctioning gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bad .22 ammo or malfunctioning gun?

I was out with a Marlin 99M1 this past weekend and ran a few different types of ammunition through it- Wolf, Remington, and Federal Bulk. Each type of ammo ended up producing a dud almost once per magazine (8 round tube). Always had a hammer mark, but they just didn't go off.

I know those aren't premium manufacturers, but is that typical of .22 ammunition or am I looking at a problem with the rifle itself? Maybe a hammer spring?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2010, 12:16 AM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

I've had pretty good luck with Federal bulk but Remington has always been terrible for me. With a dud per mag I'd suspect some type of mechanical problem though. Not knowing squat about rifles, I can't help but in a handgun I'd be looking at a weak mainspring or crud in the firing pin channel...

Old 10-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Could be a kinked recoil spring - my 99M1 has one. Too easy to accidentally kink it when removing/reinstalling for cleaning! Mine will have an occasional misfire too. Mine also won't reliably cycle with the mag tube full - use one less round, works fine.....

Old 10-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #4

Thanks for the info NG and Bigdog. I noticed the same thing about the mag tube, 7 seems to be the magic number. I had a fair number of stovepipes as well, but I seem to remember reading about that being a common problem with these rifles.

Bigdog, have you done the replacement feedthroat conversion? I'm trying to decide if that might help at all.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No, I haven't done that yet. May think about it though. Fun little rifle - excellent 'bunny buster'!

Old 10-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The 1st thing I would do is clean it real good & oil it. That should take care of most of your problems.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default DuDs!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyPine View Post
I was out with a Marlin 99M1 this past weekend and ran a few different types of ammunition through it- Wolf, Remington, and Federal Bulk. Each type of ammo ended up producing a dud almost once per magazine (8 round tube). Always had a hammer mark, but they just didn't go off.

I know those aren't premium manufacturers, but is that typical of .22 ammunition or am I looking at a problem with the rifle itself? Maybe a hammer spring?
YES YES YES. Bulk Ammo Esp. Stay away from Hollow point in bulk in semi auto's. Nuttin but burnt powder and residue. Keep it Klean.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

sounds pretty typical for .22 ammo. i have 3 different .22's and they are all extremely well taken care of and cleaned, but i get misfires maybe 15-20/500 or so.

Speak softly and carry a big stick...just know how to use it.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #9

Liked 741 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Your gun is a dressed up model 60. The main cause I have found is dirt. Over lubing will hold dirt. Mine hates bulk ammo. I can shoot Winchester Wildcats, Any kind of Aguila, CCI, but it hates cheap bulk ammo. I would also clean the ammo tube.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Mine hates bulk ammo. I can shoot Winchester Wildcats, Any kind of Aguila, CCI, but it hates cheap bulk ammo. I would also clean the ammo tube.
I have definitely read to stay away from HV ammo, but I'll see what I can find for higher quality without going HV.

Thanks everyone.. I'll be giving it a thorough cleaning. Should be out again with is this weekend, I'll report back if it's still fishy.