Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Bad .22 ammo or malfunctioning gun? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/bad-22-ammo-malfunctioning-gun-33321/)

GrumpyPine 10-21-2010 12:05 AM

Bad .22 ammo or malfunctioning gun?

I was out with a Marlin 99M1 this past weekend and ran a few different types of ammunition through it- Wolf, Remington, and Federal Bulk. Each type of ammo ended up producing a dud almost once per magazine (8 round tube). Always had a hammer mark, but they just didn't go off.

I know those aren't premium manufacturers, but is that typical of .22 ammunition or am I looking at a problem with the rifle itself? Maybe a hammer spring?

NGIB 10-21-2010 12:16 AM

I've had pretty good luck with Federal bulk but Remington has always been terrible for me. With a dud per mag I'd suspect some type of mechanical problem though. Not knowing squat about rifles, I can't help but in a handgun I'd be looking at a weak mainspring or crud in the firing pin channel...

Bigdog57 10-21-2010 11:01 AM

Could be a kinked recoil spring - my 99M1 has one. Too easy to accidentally kink it when removing/reinstalling for cleaning! Mine will have an occasional misfire too. Mine also won't reliably cycle with the mag tube full - use one less round, works fine.....

GrumpyPine 10-21-2010 04:20 PM

Thanks for the info NG and Bigdog. I noticed the same thing about the mag tube, 7 seems to be the magic number. I had a fair number of stovepipes as well, but I seem to remember reading about that being a common problem with these rifles.

Bigdog, have you done the replacement feedthroat conversion? I'm trying to decide if that might help at all.

Bigdog57 10-21-2010 05:17 PM

No, I haven't done that yet. May think about it though. Fun little rifle - excellent 'bunny buster'!

stalkingbear 10-21-2010 06:12 PM

The 1st thing I would do is clean it real good & oil it. That should take care of most of your problems.

willshoum 10-21-2010 06:20 PM

DuDs!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyPine (Post 371710)
I was out with a Marlin 99M1 this past weekend and ran a few different types of ammunition through it- Wolf, Remington, and Federal Bulk. Each type of ammo ended up producing a dud almost once per magazine (8 round tube). Always had a hammer mark, but they just didn't go off.

I know those aren't premium manufacturers, but is that typical of .22 ammunition or am I looking at a problem with the rifle itself? Maybe a hammer spring?

YES YES YES. Bulk Ammo Esp. Stay away from Hollow point in bulk in semi auto's. Nuttin but burnt powder and residue.:eek: Keep it Klean.:)

mcramer 10-21-2010 06:22 PM

sounds pretty typical for .22 ammo. i have 3 different .22's and they are all extremely well taken care of and cleaned, but i get misfires maybe 15-20/500 or so.

jpattersonnh 10-21-2010 08:39 PM

Your gun is a dressed up model 60. The main cause I have found is dirt. Over lubing will hold dirt. Mine hates bulk ammo. I can shoot Winchester Wildcats, Any kind of Aguila, CCI, but it hates cheap bulk ammo. I would also clean the ammo tube.

GrumpyPine 10-21-2010 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 372230)
Mine hates bulk ammo. I can shoot Winchester Wildcats, Any kind of Aguila, CCI, but it hates cheap bulk ammo. I would also clean the ammo tube.

I have definitely read to stay away from HV ammo, but I'll see what I can find for higher quality without going HV.

Thanks everyone.. I'll be giving it a thorough cleaning. Should be out again with is this weekend, I'll report back if it's still fishy.