Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > AR7 Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default AR7 Question

I had an AR7 but gave it to my Son a few years ago but was thinking of looking for another. I liked it because It came apart and stored in the stock and was lightweight and so it was good for putting in a pack. Besides I would also carry a .22 handgun and so I could carry a lot of ammo that would work in either. I would do this hiking and backpacking a lot when I didn't feel like carring a magnum.

Just wondering what your opinions were of the AR7 or perhaps something similar that might be better for this purpose.

Thanks,
OC

"magbum"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2009, 04:23 AM   #2

Liked 7549 Times on 3285 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

Well, the AR-7 was made by a least a coupla different firms, and is now being made by Henry. Ther have been some issues with reliability/ durability that I have heard, but not experienced first hand.

Marlin also made a backpackers 22 under the name Papoose. Marlin generally gets high marks for good guns.

Really depends of what you want/need out of a gun. My backpacker's gun is a .357 with a 6 inch barrel. Weighs less than a rifle, will do what I need out to 100 meters, and has a LOT more authority than a 22. But it DOES tear up squirrels pretty badly....

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:33 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for your reply C3Shooter. I will look into the Marlin. Sometimes I don't feel like taking the python and then I like the .22

OC

"magbum"

Old 07-19-2009, 01:58 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have an older Papoose with the hardwood stock I bought back in 1986 for $100. It is an excellent shooter. Unfortunately now I believe the price is double that. A buddy of mine has one he paid $269 for, but it has a composite stock and is stainless..unlike the AR-7, it's the nylon case that floats (styrofoam insert) , not the gun.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 07-19-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #5

Default Papoose vs. AR-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Papoose with the hardwood stock I bought back in 1986 for $100. It is an excellent shooter. Unfortunately now I believe the price is double that. A buddy of mine has one he paid $269 for, but it has a composite stock and is stainless..unlike the AR-7, it's the nylon case that floats (styrofoam insert) , not the gun.
The Marlin Md. 70 Papoose (really a Marlin Md. 60 that breaks down) is, IMHO, superior to the AR-7. You can buy a good Marlin 60 and swap out parts that are worn on the Papoose. I've owned both, and have a Papoose now. Both are getting expensive, unfortunately. It's easier to mount optics on the Papoose (never really checked on the AR-7).

The AR-7 will float in the stowed configuration - barrel and receiver inside the case. They designed it that way, in case you dropped it into water while stowed OR assembled.

I'd be careful about carrying in a pack, as that may be considered a concealed carry, even though it's broken down and stowed. Check your local regs.

If you're considering one for a SHTF survival rifle, then the Springfield M6 Scout would be a good choice. .22LR over .410, folds in half. Single shot, so that's a drawback. Also, this one tends to be the most expensive of the "pack" rifles. If you're still in the SHTF frame of mind, the Savage Md. 24 in your calibers of choice would be my choice. Rifle over shotgun, just about any combo of calibers, though .22LR over .410 seems the most prevalent. It doesn't break down, but having it at the ready may be preferable in a hostile environment.

Between the AR-7 and Papoose, go with the Papoose.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:05 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I have worked with 3 AR7's, two Charter Arms and one Henry. Had bad luck with all of them. The Charter Arms failed to fed on both of them, essentually they were very slow loading single shots. The Henry has a plastic barrel shroud and plastic sights, the sight kept falling off. Since these are survival guns my question is, how much do you cherish your life? I would never trust my life on anything but the very best of anything.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:36 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, so now you guys have me thinking in different directions......this is good. Options I have not thought about. I am starting to like this place now....

OC

"magbum"

Old 07-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #8

Default Options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
I have worked with 3 AR7's, two Charter Arms and one Henry. Had bad luck with all of them. The Charter Arms failed to fed on both of them, essentually they were very slow loading single shots. The Henry has a plastic barrel shroud and plastic sights, the sight kept falling off. Since these are survival guns my question is, how much do you cherish your life? I would never trust my life on anything but the very best of anything.
I've owned the Charter Arms as well, including the CA II pistol. Keep in mind that the CA barrels and the AR barrels are NOT interchangeable, though they look very similar.

FTFs might be remedied with quality ammo and ensuring a smooth feed ramp.

They're good for a weekend outing, but if it's a SHTF scenario, I'd go with the Savage 24.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:39 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

A recent Outdoor Life article on the AR-7 suggests the Savage or the Papoose over the AR-7. If you simply MUST have an AR-7, theys suggest using only CCI mini-Mags with Round Nose bullets as they will not get hung up on the rough feed ramp, and they have enough recoil energy to cycle the action reliably.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I have the Henry version and mine has been very reliable with SV ammo it cycles with no problem and with a 3x9 air gun scope I take ground hogs out to 70 yards no problem. I use mine as my tractor go to when mowing the fields and my youngest son learned to shoot with it. I know the scope takes the break down part out of it but for the money mine has already paid for it's self and as far as filling the stew pot it does very well. With Henry customer service and due to the lack of problems I've had with mine I would buy another if I wanted or needed one.