AR-7 Survival Rifle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > AR-7 Survival Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 01:51 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default AR-7, No thanks Been there done that

Helo all, RON L

AR-7, Hmm,Been there, Done that, I have owned everyhing from a AR-7 Armilight, Charter arms, Henry, Survival arms! The majority of them needed a lot of work and ammo selction to function well! Most Charters I had to be smoothed in ramp and de-bured inside, the Heny was a Joke the Slieve where the barrle sits ripped out? Yes it was that cheap and that thin? Many 22's are ammo selective and AR-7 are right there with it? Use only Plated ammo, as Lead types of bullets were jam o matic time! I found the AR-7 design not to my Likeing and after Trying a Marlin papoose and a Browning and Norenco Cone of the Browning take down 22 a Lot better option! Sorry Guys, cant go with ya on this one and that's why! You might have your own oopinion and experiences but I have 35 years of messing with AR-7, NO THANKS!

Old 07-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #12

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Thankyou once again for all the advice. After doing more research the AR-7 is off the list, common thread throughout is that it jams a lot. Not ideal for a survival situation if you have to be picky about ammo. So I have now narrowed it down to either the Marlin Papoose or the Ruger 22/45. Both have solid reviews and depending on what model of the Ruger you get similarly priced.

OIF Veteran
OEF Veteran
Lifetime VFW Member
NRA Member

Old 07-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Reaper

Reaper

RON L here

I hope I didn't detrer your desire to buy one? It's Just that I have owned 12 over the decaded and out of that 2 were functional out of the box with out a lot of extra work? Onthe other hand, Have had 3 Parpoose as well as a Number of Ruber Rifles and Pistols and while I have my own Problems with some of Rugers parts and repair policies I see them as a Safer and better buy! Good Luck and I hope you find what ya like, need and use?

Old 07-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #14

RON L,
Your advice was spot on with the majority of what my research turned up, so thankyou for your advice. Everyone needs a good 22 in their collection, plus I need something to teach household 6 what to shoot on. Use camping/range/BOB definatly are the top three. Thanks again for the advice

OIF Veteran
OEF Veteran
Lifetime VFW Member
NRA Member

Old 07-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think that the Marlin Papoose is a better gun than the AR-7. The AR-7 accuracy is...well...hit or miss. mostly miss.

Enemies of the United States:hunt them down, kill them all.War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:34 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default I see a few Better Options!

Reaver

RON L here

Your very welcome on my comments and I hope what I said helped, I have tried the AR-7, as well as the Marlin Papoose, and the Browning Take down Rifle as well as the China Copy, as I see it, thier are far better options than the AR-7, I love the Concept of the AR-7 and applaude Armilight for the design, but, after them, the execution of that design is well, WANTING? The Papose now can Only be had new in stainless, no longer Blue, but thats not really a Down side as I see it? I like the Case it comes in and yes if it's zipped up and secure it will float, please don't ask me how I know that? LOL Silly things happen when your canoe partner is not as experienced as one would like?

Old 07-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #17

YIKES!!! Good to know that their product works though.

OIF Veteran
OEF Veteran
Lifetime VFW Member
NRA Member

Old 07-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I've had an Armalite AR-7 and it was ok for plinking, but would never use it for any type of survival situation. I've seen the Marlin Papoose, but have never bought one although I'd like to one day. My choice for a bug out survival gun is a Ruger 10/22 with a Choate full length pistol grip stock. It's the same length as my M-4 with the stock in the #4 position (which happens to be where I generally keep it in when carrying/shooting it). They make a folding stock, but it adds weight to it and only shortens it by around 8".

I can consistently make head shots on squirrels with a rest at 50 yards but have to be a lot closer with a .22 pistol, so for me a .22 pistol isn't a contender as a bug out survival (putting meat on the table) gun.