AR-7 Survival Rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > AR-7 Survival Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default AR-7 Survival Rifle

I have decided to add a .22 to my list of guns to buy when I get back from Afghanistan and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the AR-7 Survival Rifle?? It looks like a good design but I was wondering if anyone has shot one before or would recomend another .22 instead.

OIF Veteran
OEF Veteran
Lifetime VFW Member
NRA Member

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper61 View Post
I have decided to add a .22 to my list of guns to buy when I get back from Afghanistan and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the AR-7 Survival Rifle?? It looks like a good design but I was wondering if anyone has shot one before or would recomend another .22 instead.
I believe for survival situations a .22 revolver is generally more suggested than a rifle. Something small, light weight, that you can easily operate with one hand. You can probably pick up one from any Military Surplus store. I know that a lot of pilots have one.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Last edited by Ploofy; 07-26-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

They are great little rifles for what they are. Henry is the current producer of the AR-7 survival rifle. That means the likelihood of getting a good 1 is better. They used to be very picky on ammo, perhaps Henry has fixed that. Having said that, they are meant to be a last ditch survival/plinker gun. Don't expect gilt edged accuracy.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #4

Likes Given: 2

I like my Armalite AR-7, It is a tad picky on ammo, It doesn't like hollow point's, But still fun.
I have heard good things about the Marlin Papoose But I really have no first hand info.
Best of luck

Old 07-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the Henry US Survival AR-7 and I think it's a great little gun for what it is. The design is very simple and I've never had any issues with it. It is fun to shoot too.

Expect to field a few "what is that?" questions as it catches everyone's attention at the range.

Last edited by Rmason2008; 07-26-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Left out rifle type

Old 07-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #6

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I have one of the Charter arms ones. I just got it to have under the seat in my truck. Perfect for that. Used ones here sell for $100 to $150. If I was to have only one 22 it would be something else.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #7

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Thanks for all the replies and info. I assumed it wasnt the most accurate 22 out there but like the idea of something i can stick in a BOB.

OIF Veteran
OEF Veteran
Lifetime VFW Member
NRA Member

Old 07-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

if you got a ar15 non-piston gun already cant beat the cmmg 22lr conversion as a survival tool. swap bcg and mag and you got a functional 22lr capable of taking small game. saves a ton of space/weight in your ohsht bag.

if i was gonna get a dedicated survival rifle i would prolly hunt one of these down and spring for the aow license. or get the non nfa springfield version of the M6 in 22lr/45lc

M6 Aircrew Survival Weapon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-26-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper61 View Post
Thanks for all the replies and info. I assumed it wasnt the most accurate 22 out there but like the idea of something i can stick in a BOB.
if your really serious then a ruger 22/45 with silencerco supressor is a no brainer. that setup doesnt require subsonic ammo. the short barrel of the 22/45 threaded version knocks regular 22lr ammo to subsonic. super quiet for hunting without letting people know your there. sound signature is compairable to some air rifles.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-26-2011, 11:23 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

As to the questions about the AR-7, I've owned one for a couple of decades and for what it's supposed to be, it's more than adequate. I recommend them for hiking and bugout preparation.