Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   AR-7 Survival Rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/ar-7-survival-rifle-45819/)

Reaper61 07-26-2011 07:11 PM

AR-7 Survival Rifle

I have decided to add a .22 to my list of guns to buy when I get back from Afghanistan and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the AR-7 Survival Rifle?? It looks like a good design but I was wondering if anyone has shot one before or would recomend another .22 instead.

Ploofy 07-26-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper61 (Post 550282)
I have decided to add a .22 to my list of guns to buy when I get back from Afghanistan and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the AR-7 Survival Rifle?? It looks like a good design but I was wondering if anyone has shot one before or would recomend another .22 instead.

I believe for survival situations a .22 revolver is generally more suggested than a rifle. Something small, light weight, that you can easily operate with one hand. You can probably pick up one from any Military Surplus store. I know that a lot of pilots have one.

stalkingbear 07-26-2011 07:33 PM

They are great little rifles for what they are. Henry is the current producer of the AR-7 survival rifle. That means the likelihood of getting a good 1 is better. They used to be very picky on ammo, perhaps Henry has fixed that. Having said that, they are meant to be a last ditch survival/plinker gun. Don't expect gilt edged accuracy.

VitSports6 07-26-2011 07:37 PM

I like my Armalite AR-7, It is a tad picky on ammo, It doesn't like hollow point's, But still fun.
I have heard good things about the Marlin Papoose But I really have no first hand info.
Best of luck

Rmason2008 07-26-2011 07:41 PM

I have the Henry US Survival AR-7 and I think it's a great little gun for what it is. The design is very simple and I've never had any issues with it. It is fun to shoot too.

Expect to field a few "what is that?" questions as it catches everyone's attention at the range.

hiwall 07-26-2011 08:21 PM

I have one of the Charter arms ones. I just got it to have under the seat in my truck. Perfect for that. Used ones here sell for $100 to $150. If I was to have only one 22 it would be something else.

Reaper61 07-26-2011 09:22 PM

Thanks for all the replies and info. I assumed it wasnt the most accurate 22 out there but like the idea of something i can stick in a BOB.

JonM 07-26-2011 11:13 PM

if you got a ar15 non-piston gun already cant beat the cmmg 22lr conversion as a survival tool. swap bcg and mag and you got a functional 22lr capable of taking small game. saves a ton of space/weight in your ohsht bag.

if i was gonna get a dedicated survival rifle i would prolly hunt one of these down and spring for the aow license. or get the non nfa springfield version of the M6 in 22lr/45lc

M6 Aircrew Survival Weapon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

JonM 07-26-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper61 (Post 550367)
Thanks for all the replies and info. I assumed it wasnt the most accurate 22 out there but like the idea of something i can stick in a BOB.

if your really serious then a ruger 22/45 with silencerco supressor is a no brainer. that setup doesnt require subsonic ammo. the short barrel of the 22/45 threaded version knocks regular 22lr ammo to subsonic. super quiet for hunting without letting people know your there. sound signature is compairable to some air rifles.

1919A4 07-27-2011 12:23 AM

As to the questions about the AR-7, I've owned one for a couple of decades and for what it's supposed to be, it's more than adequate. I recommend them for hiking and bugout preparation.