anyone used a sig522
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > anyone used a sig522

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default anyone used a sig522

I was looking at the S&W15-22 and saw on a local gunshop website the sig522. I was unaware of this product.

I had purchased a s&W m&p 9mm vs. a sig 9mm based on price. I later got a sig 22 mosquito. I am very impressed with the sig, and sort of wish i spent the $ getting the sig 9mm (but it was several hundred more).

I don't want have buyers remorse, local ranges do not have these rifles so I am hoping that someone has direct experience with both of these.

I have only heard good things about the s&w 15-22, so I know it isn't a bad choice. Neither was my sw m&p 9mm, but wondering if the sig522 is even better.

Looking at this just for target shooting/plinking etc. Want very high reliablility , no jamming, can shoot any amno etc as most important features. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-09-2011, 01:21 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Boatman!

Look at my Post #24 on the following thread link. Hopefully that'll answer some of your questions. If you need more info, just let me know.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/your-opinion-best-tactical-22-a-46197/index3.html

Cheers!

BB

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Old 08-09-2011, 02:37 AM   #3

Doh! Right by my original post;-)

So nothing to choose 1 over the other. Accuracy, feel, wt, reliability?

The sig is newer, don't know if any long term issues. Will have to go to local shops and put them to my shoulder.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

FWIW, I have one of the early SIG522's - pre-green furniture availability, pre-standard iron-sights, regardless; one of the finest .22 semi-auto "EBRs" you can buy.

We're talking Remmy 552 Speedmaster reliable. Remmy 5-teen reliable. Win 94/22, Henry 22, Marlin 39 reliable. A semi-auto mag-fed .22 shouldn't legally be this reliable, like it came from another planet reliable.

This is the new gold-standard of semi .22 reliability. You could carry this into combat reliable.

Mine has been absolutely flawless with any/all ammo I've ever tried from RNLs to HPs including the much maligned Remmy ammo and iffy Fed red-box bulk-pack. Even cycled .22Shorts and Aguila 60gr.

Plus - they are now cheaper than what I paid for mine.

The weakest links;

1.) These early SIG522s have NO ironsights. They were being shilled way back when as coming out with SIG-branded red-dots included, and those of us early adopters were back-slapped when many months later, SIG decided at the time to ship without ANY sights so as to get them out the door.

2.) The BlackDog Machine hi-cap mags get "gummed up dirty" from .22 ammo fast and are no fun to load when compared to more modern .22 mags with EBRs like the S&W M&P15/22, GSG5, Umarex EBRs.

3.) Some folks find the folding tele-stock to be cheap-plasticky rattly, and I know that mine will not stay "locked" in a folded position.
The missing sights and cheesy stock are the only dissapointing points of an otherwise fine rifle.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #5

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have a buddy who has one. He's had a lot of fun and no trouble with it.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #6

Boatman!

Nfafan brings up some good points above, specifically Weak Links #1 and #2.

I knew when I bought my Sig 522, that it didn't come with sights. Weird. I've never bought a gun without sights, however, my intention was to add my Vortex StrikeFire Green/Red Dot anyway, so the lack of sights wasn't a Deal-Breaker for me. Matter of fact, I had removable Sights on my 15-22, and I did just that... removed them. I added my Simmons Whitetail 6.5-20x50 Scope, which is a big mother, and didn't leave any room for the Stock Sights. They're in my gun cabinet.

With regards to the Black Dog 26-Round Mags, yes, they are a pain to load, compared to the 15-22's. Why? The Black Dog Mags have to be manually loaded by pushing each Round into the Follower, just like you would any other Pistol/Rifle Mag. I think it's the fact that the .22 Rounds are so small, and that there are so many, that cause your fingers to hurt after a bit, especially on the Plastic Mag Lips. I ordered a Black Dog Loader, similar to what comes with some of the Glocks and Springfield Pistols. It's a plastic piece that fits over the Mag, and has a pin that pushes down the Rounds for you, as you manually load them. Makes it easier on the fingers, especially during the hardest part of loading... the last 4-5 Rounds. Some ingenious folks, on the other hand, have taken the Mags apart, added a string to the Follower, and drilled a hole into the bottom of the Mag with the string hanging out. When pulled down, the string relieves the tension on the Rounds being loaded by pulling the Follower down, and allows for smoother loading. In the meantime... my Mag Loader will work just fine for me.

Now, the 15-22 Mags have a Load Assist Button on both sides of their Mags, and you can drop in a Round with one hand, while gradually pulling down the Load Assist Button to give you sufficient slack to easily load a Round. No .22 Mag Loading system is perfect, and the 15-22 has its flaw as well. With the 15-22 Mags, you have to make sure you Stagger the Rounds as you load them, otherwise, you'll end up with an FTL or not be able to get the full capacity 25 Rounds into the Mag. I've seen pics on YouTube, where a Jammed Round will stick straight up, with the Base of the Round jammed tight between the Mag Lips. Ya gotta Stagger them!

Every new product has its growing pains, and the Sig 522 and M&P 15-22 are no exception. Gradually, newer models will be improved, and older models will be upgraded... either by the parent companies or by the Gun Owner/Shooter.

What I'de like to see, are some of the Mags I've seen on the web... I believe they're currently on the market for 5.56 Rounds... where the side of the Mag slides open, and the Rounds are just dropped in, and the sliding door is closed, and you're ready to shoot. This... I believe... would be ideal for .22 Shooters. Just my opinion.

Not sure what you intend to do with your Rifle, but if you're looking for a Stock Setup, either the 15-22 or 522 would fit the fill. If you're looking to heavily Mod it, there are many more accessories available for the 15-22 that I've found, made by many aftermarket companies. At the moment, there aren't very many aftermarket vendors selling accessories for the 522. I'm still looking though.....

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

Old 08-10-2011, 01:53 AM   #7

great info. not worried about mags so much, live in MA, 10 rd mag only. So you get a break because you have to reload so often;-)

Also, no telescoping stocks in MA.

Still not getting a feel on sig vs. s&w that there is appreciable diff, will have to just go to store and feel them out a bit.

I am pretty sure the new sigs come with sights, right.

Any diff in accuracy of one vs. the other?

Old 08-10-2011, 03:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman View Post

Any diff in accuracy of one vs. the other?
Not on my end. I use a Crosshair Scope on my 15-22 and a Green/Red Dot Scope on my 522, and the Rounds go where I want them. Both are very accurate rifles.

Take into consideration, that when I go to the Range, I start off with my Handguns... shoot about 100-150 Rounds of 380 & 9mm, then go to my Rifles, and shoot another 200-250 Rounds of .22 and 9mm. I'm usually at the Range about 2 hrs, and in this Texas Sun, it's getting pretty hot by then, and I'm getting tired.

If I can hit the Target with my Rifles every time during the last hour of my Range Trip, imagine what I could do if I started out that first hour with the Rifles, instead of the Handguns.

Accurate? Yes they are!

Cheers!

BB

Newest Threads