Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Anyone familiar with a stevens model 87c? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/anyone-familiar-stevens-model-87c-22344/)

jamnmike 01-19-2010 08:55 AM

Anyone familiar with a stevens model 87c?

1 Attachment(s)
Just wanting to gather some info on my recent acquisition. stevens model 87c previous owner said that it was built in 1952. it shoots .22 lr only in semi auto and the bolt locks up so you can shoot single shots as well. I refinished the wood to a dark bronze finish hammered look (textured)

jamnmike 01-19-2010 08:59 AM

pic #2

1 Attachment(s)
this is the finished wood on it now.

robocop10mm 01-19-2010 03:46 PM

Sweet. Nice job on the stock.

Highpower 01-19-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamnmike (Post 215083)
Just wanting to gather some info on my recent acquisition.

It might help if you let everybody know what kind of info you are looking for. ;)

jamnmike 01-20-2010 03:30 AM

pretty much anything that I could find out on them? If you've had one when you were a kid? I just can't find anything on the web about them. There's a bunch of patent numbers on the barrel, like 6 patents for this gun but research doesnt show any? is it rare? Doesnt matter I bought it to shoot it you know.:D what year? speculative info was that the previous owner said it was built in 1952? not sure can't find the info? I have'nt been around in the 50's so I wouldnt know. maybe some knowledgeable old timers could tell me something.

Highpower 01-20-2010 05:36 AM

You might try asking over at rimfirecentral.com as well for your information.

Here is some general info on some of the Savage models.
RimfireCentral.com Forums - View Single Post - Vintage Savage, Stevens, Springfield

caz4 08-03-2011 03:45 PM

I received one in the late 1950's as a gift from my family. I have fired literally thousands - perhaps as many as 50,000 rounds with it. Only a handful of jams as it is unbelieveably reliable. A little care and cleaning and it shoots forever. Passing on to my oldest son soon. Only problem, after all those rounds the firing pin broke - looking for a new one now but it was more fun than a barrell of monkeys to shoot.

c3shooter 08-03-2011 11:32 PM

CAZ- welcome to the forum- drop by the intro thread when you get a chance, and say howdy. As far as your firing pin, here you go: Firing Pin

My usually fee is adult beverages, precious metals, nubile maidens.

Cornhusker 08-06-2011 06:32 PM

I've got an 87A, probably pretty much the same thing
Seems to work ok, but I only took it out shooting once, then cleaned it up and put it away.
I did quite a bit of looking when I got it.
Kind of an odd thing.
Mine says Stevens\Springfield 87A
From what I've been able to find out, it was made between 1938 and 1948 when they dropped the Springfield name from them.
You can lock the bolt forward and make it a manual repeater, like a bolt action or you can unlock it for semi-auto.
When you pull the trigger, the bolt stays back until you release the trigger, then it goes forward.
Makes kind of a click-clack sound.
They are sometimes called "gill guns".
I might refinish it, but so far, it's just like I got it only cleaner.

Bigdog57 08-06-2011 09:04 PM

Rarity.....? A million or so made, of various model numbers. Numrich will have all parts you need. Generally the different model numbers and brand names mean some differences in stock, sights, trigger guards, etc. None are 'rare'.
Mine is the Springfield 87A. Early rifles had a flat reciever plug (at the very rear) that is unscrewed to remove the bolt/hammer assembly. Does not require puling barreled action from stock. Later rifles had a streamlined plug that does require stock removal. Later rifles (post 1955 or so) have rimfire scope grooves, earlier rifles do not.
When firing it, you will notice the bolt remains all the way back if you keep the trigger pulled. Releasing the trigger allows it to return to battery. This causes a rather disconcerting (initially) 'click...clack' action that is the hallmark of these guns. I find locking the bolt forward results in a bit better accuracy - we don't have the bolt's mass moving.