Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Any suggestions of a good .22 for a lefty?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 03:11 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5127 Times on 2670 Posts
Likes Given: 311

course you could just buy a 5.56 chambered AR15 and a cmmg 22lr conversion. then you got a centerfire for when your ready and a very functional and acceptably accurate 22lr to learn on.

just my 2 primer worth.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:13 AM   #12

Consider a browning take-down 22 autoloader or a norinco copy. It is a bottom eject autoloader and works perfectly for a lefty !

When ready for a shotgun, an Ithaca 37 ..also a bottom eject or a Browning BPS would be a good choice for the same reasons.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:27 AM   #13
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Another great thing about any AR-15 design, they are by far the easiest to disassemble clean of any rifle design.

The AR 15-22 you can get for less than 500. Now if you have 1000 or more, an AR 15 with a .22 conversion would be pretty darn snazzy.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 09-08-2010, 04:54 AM   #14

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I'm left handed and all my rifles are not. I've ywe3t to have a problem with any of them. I do switch out from time to time but that's just something I like to do. I have a couple Ruger 10-22's An AMT copy of the 10-22 and I shoot the crap out of them. It's all a matter o9f what you want from the rifle. The Marlin's are nice and you are hard pressed top go wrong with a Ruger. The glut of after market stuff is everywhere and reasonable for the most part. So it's not hard to recreate the rifle in just about any way you want. I do have a left handed Raptor stock on one. It does making shooting left handed a breeze.

A 22 is a great weapon to cut ones teeth on as well as the experienced shooter. Ammo is cheap and plentiful and a decent rifle can be had really inexpensive as well. 550 rounds for 15 bucks and you cna get a Marlin 60 or 10-22 really cheap if you look around. I picked up one with a cheap scope at a pawn shop for 90 bucks a short time ago. That rifle as is will hit walnuts at 100 yards all day long with bulk ammo

Look around and keep your options open. You'll run into something you just can't live without many times that way. I trol through gun shows, pawn shops and gun shops all the time with no real goal in mind nad will sometimes fall bass akward into a great deal. That's how I found that AMT and it was just under a hundred bucks. And it's actually a better built rifle than the Ruger. Too bad they copied a little too close and got sued Even had a Ruger mag in it (Insert LOL here). I do like the SS receivers in those as well as the longer barrels. THey are great to build on.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
One of my grandsons began shooting with me, and he is a lefty. My autoloaders ping his right arm with brass, so I switched him to a Marln 39A lever gun, and some of my bolts. However, just bought him a Remington 241. Older rifle, but loads thru the butt, and ejects straight down.
I'm in total agreement with c3. I bought the granddaughter a 39A and it's a shoot'n machine. I also use it on range day with my hunter safety classes and of all the actions used it gets the most attention hands down. For some odd reason the kids just love shooting that little lever gun. By the way, mine is a 1950 vintage and still shoots like new.

If you want a less expensive 22 lever, the Henry Golden Boy lever guns are pretty decent.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

You know, if you're not stuck on a repeater, you might look at either an old Steven's Favorite or a reproduction of same (though I don't believe the repro to have the same balance as the original).

Put a peep sight on it, and you have nice, simple, game getter and plinker. It will force you to learn to make each shot count.

I've often thought of going this route, but the idea of not having a fast followup shot on squirrel, tough critters they are, has shied me away from it thus far.

Still, it's very tempting and will likely happen soon.

Josh

Old 09-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #17
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
I've often thought of going this route, but the idea of not having a fast followup shot on squirrel, tough critters they are, has shied me away from it thus far.

Josh
(Said in my best Australian accent) If you're going to shoot a squirrel, you'd better put it down with the first shot. There's nothing more dangerous than a wounded squirrel. They'll turn on you in a heartbeat.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA