Any suggestions of a good .22 for a lefty?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

Any suggestions of a good .22 for a lefty?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tampa,Florida
Posts: 8
Default Any suggestions of a good .22 for a lefty?

Hey all, I'm looking to buy my first firearm, and at 20, I'm still limited to a rifle. This is not a problem as I would prefer a rifle. I'm looking for a .22 as everyone I talk to says to get a .22. Being a lefty tho, Im not sure if I need aa left handed rifle or not. I was looking at a ruger 10 22. Are they ambidextrous, or am I going to need a left handed model?

Last edited by canebrake; 09-07-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: TTTP
jeeperanthony is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 09-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wabash,Indiana
Posts: 259
Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperanthony View Post
Hey all, I'm looking to buy my first firearm, and at 20, I'm still limited to a rifle. This is not a problem as I would prefer a rifle. I'm looking for a .22 as everyone I talk to says to get a .22. Being a lefty tho, Im not sure if I need aa left handed rifle or not. I was looking at a ruger 10 22. Are they ambidextrous, or am I going to need a left handed model?
Hello,

The 10/22 can be used by either hand.

I personally prefer bolt actions however, especially for new shooters. For that reason I would look at the Savage Mk II action with their Accutriggers.

I am left handed, and went with one of their heavy barrel versions in .22LR for longer distance rimfire shooting.

Best of luck, and if you're anywhere near Wabash IN, you're more than welcome to try my stuff out.

Josh
Joshua M. Smith is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Txhillbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,648
Liked 1310 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 633

Default

Jeeper,You will not have any problems shooting left handed. I have always shot lefty.If you want a bolt action,there are a few companies that make left hand rimfires-Savage,CZ.
The Ruger 10/22 is a great gun,and there are so many aftermarket parts available,you can put together just the style of gun that you want.
Txhillbilly is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:54 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bgeddes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 441
Default

Quote:
Hello,

The 10/22 can be used by either hand.

I personally prefer bolt actions however, especially for new shooters. For that reason I would look at the Savage Mk II action with their Accutriggers.

I am left handed, and went with one of their heavy barrel versions in .22LR for longer distance rimfire shooting.

Best of luck, and if you're anywhere near Wabash IN, you're more than welcome to try my stuff out.
Ditto, except for the Indiana part...

10/22s are nearly as popular as a firearms can be, and their following is somewhat cult like. They are good guns, but to work on your rifleman skills, they typically lack out-of-box accuracy.

The Savages are incredibly accurate for the money. There are certainly more accurate .22LRs, but you will require a lot more money to get one.

That said, you might look on the Appleseed Project web page and see if they are coming to your area. If you plan to go shoot with them, it may influence which rifle you purchase.
bgeddes is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
safedman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Caribou,Maine
Posts: 236
Likes Given: 5

Default For a lefty

I built this one left handed but just buy a Ruger 10/22 and replace the stock..

Any suggestions of a good .22 for a lefty? - .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion


Any suggestions of a good .22 for a lefty? - .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion
safedman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 18,163
Liked 10741 Times on 4648 Posts
Likes Given: 1754

Default

One of my grandsons began shooting with me, and he is a lefty. My autoloaders ping his right arm with brass, so I switched him to a Marln 39A lever gun, and some of my bolts. However, just bought him a Remington 241. Older rifle, but loads thru the butt, and ejects straight down.
__________________
What we have here is... failure- to communicate.
c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PTsouthpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Somewhere in,Vermont
Posts: 123
Default

I shoot lefty because of my left eye dominance. If you are thinking of going with a right handed gun, like a 10/22 or Marlin 70 (both of which i own, and have no problem shooting) i would try to find someone with one you can shoot, to see if it works for you. I personally own 2 left handed rifles, a Savage model 11 in 7mm-08 and a Stag 2TL AR-15. It is nice having a dedicated left handed rifle, but many will work just fine in either hand.

The biggest (really only) problem i have had shooting lefty was when i tried my buddy's new Winchester SX3 autoloader shotgun. The safety on the trigger guard sticks out so far to the left that when i took my first shot, i would bump the safety on, and not get follow-ups. These are the small things to look for when trying to find a good firearm to use lefty (though this particular one is probably fixable by a gunsmith).
PTsouthpaw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 7,140
Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Default

Let's just skip straight to more fun than a barrel of monkeys....
header-smith-wesson-mp22.jpg  
__________________
Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
ScottA is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:43 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tampa,Florida
Posts: 8
Default

Let me put it this way. I'm looking for a good rifle that I can shoot lefty and build a good foundation of skills on. I assumed a bolt action would be the best bet, but it seems like a 10 22, or 15 22 would suit me just fine. Also, what is the difference between a bolt action, and the 10 22?
jeeperanthony is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:06 AM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 7,140
Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperanthony View Post
Let me put it this way. I'm looking for a good rifle that I can shoot lefty and build a good foundation of skills on. I assumed a bolt action would be the best bet, but it seems like a 10 22, or 15 22 would suit me just fine. Also, what is the difference between a bolt action, and the 10 22?
The 10/22 is a semi-auto which has a reputation for being one of the most reliable semi .22's out there. For a bolt action, I'd recommend checking out the Savage. Another good semi is the Marlin 60. But you can tell what my preference is.
__________________
Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
ScottA is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Being A Lefty Squirrel Training & Safety 10 08-27-2010 05:17 PM
Lefty michigan0626 The Club House 3 04-12-2010 06:58 PM
clipdraw for lefty? KBlue Revolver Handguns 1 02-26-2010 06:36 PM
Problems of a Lefty RyanMann General Rifle Discussion 10 02-16-2009 09:17 PM
lefty IWB holsters lasherb1 XD Forum 1 11-29-2008 09:56 PM



Newest Threads