Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Any suggestions of a good .22 for a lefty?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Any suggestions of a good .22 for a lefty?

Hey all, I'm looking to buy my first firearm, and at 20, I'm still limited to a rifle. This is not a problem as I would prefer a rifle. I'm looking for a .22 as everyone I talk to says to get a .22. Being a lefty tho, Im not sure if I need aa left handed rifle or not. I was looking at a ruger 10 22. Are they ambidextrous, or am I going to need a left handed model?

Last edited by canebrake; 09-07-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperanthony View Post
Hey all, I'm looking to buy my first firearm, and at 20, I'm still limited to a rifle. This is not a problem as I would prefer a rifle. I'm looking for a .22 as everyone I talk to says to get a .22. Being a lefty tho, Im not sure if I need aa left handed rifle or not. I was looking at a ruger 10 22. Are they ambidextrous, or am I going to need a left handed model?
Hello,

The 10/22 can be used by either hand.

I personally prefer bolt actions however, especially for new shooters. For that reason I would look at the Savage Mk II action with their Accutriggers.

I am left handed, and went with one of their heavy barrel versions in .22LR for longer distance rimfire shooting.

Best of luck, and if you're anywhere near Wabash IN, you're more than welcome to try my stuff out.

Josh

Old 09-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 522

Jeeper,You will not have any problems shooting left handed. I have always shot lefty.If you want a bolt action,there are a few companies that make left hand rimfires-Savage,CZ.
The Ruger 10/22 is a great gun,and there are so many aftermarket parts available,you can put together just the style of gun that you want.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Hello,

The 10/22 can be used by either hand.

I personally prefer bolt actions however, especially for new shooters. For that reason I would look at the Savage Mk II action with their Accutriggers.

I am left handed, and went with one of their heavy barrel versions in .22LR for longer distance rimfire shooting.

Best of luck, and if you're anywhere near Wabash IN, you're more than welcome to try my stuff out.
Ditto, except for the Indiana part...

10/22s are nearly as popular as a firearms can be, and their following is somewhat cult like. They are good guns, but to work on your rifleman skills, they typically lack out-of-box accuracy.

The Savages are incredibly accurate for the money. There are certainly more accurate .22LRs, but you will require a lot more money to get one.

That said, you might look on the Appleseed Project web page and see if they are coming to your area. If you plan to go shoot with them, it may influence which rifle you purchase.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #5

Likes Given: 5

Default For a lefty

I built this one left handed but just buy a Ruger 10/22 and replace the stock..

Old 09-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8406 Times on 3642 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

One of my grandsons began shooting with me, and he is a lefty. My autoloaders ping his right arm with brass, so I switched him to a Marln 39A lever gun, and some of my bolts. However, just bought him a Remington 241. Older rifle, but loads thru the butt, and ejects straight down.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 09-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #7

I shoot lefty because of my left eye dominance. If you are thinking of going with a right handed gun, like a 10/22 or Marlin 70 (both of which i own, and have no problem shooting) i would try to find someone with one you can shoot, to see if it works for you. I personally own 2 left handed rifles, a Savage model 11 in 7mm-08 and a Stag 2TL AR-15. It is nice having a dedicated left handed rifle, but many will work just fine in either hand.

The biggest (really only) problem i have had shooting lefty was when i tried my buddy's new Winchester SX3 autoloader shotgun. The safety on the trigger guard sticks out so far to the left that when i took my first shot, i would bump the safety on, and not get follow-ups. These are the small things to look for when trying to find a good firearm to use lefty (though this particular one is probably fixable by a gunsmith).

Old 09-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 723

Let's just skip straight to more fun than a barrel of monkeys....

header-smith-wesson-mp22.jpg  

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 09-08-2010, 01:43 AM   #9

Let me put it this way. I'm looking for a good rifle that I can shoot lefty and build a good foundation of skills on. I assumed a bolt action would be the best bet, but it seems like a 10 22, or 15 22 would suit me just fine. Also, what is the difference between a bolt action, and the 10 22?

Old 09-08-2010, 03:06 AM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperanthony View Post
Let me put it this way. I'm looking for a good rifle that I can shoot lefty and build a good foundation of skills on. I assumed a bolt action would be the best bet, but it seems like a 10 22, or 15 22 would suit me just fine. Also, what is the difference between a bolt action, and the 10 22?
The 10/22 is a semi-auto which has a reputation for being one of the most reliable semi .22's out there. For a bolt action, I'd recommend checking out the Savage. Another good semi is the Marlin 60. But you can tell what my preference is.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA