Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Any Recommendations For A First .22 Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 03:21 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default Any Recommendations For A First .22 Rifle?

Any recommendations for a first .22 rifle? I just got into shooting (handguns) this year and it seems to me that learning how to shoot a rifle is an important skill to learn. I would want it for learning/practicing/regular target shooting initially, plus the ability to to use it for small game down the road should food become scarce.

I talked with the people at my local range today and they offer lessons I can take to get started. Several of my family members are also interested in learning, so hopefully it will get a decent amount of use.

I've read through some of the old threads here and have seen that there are bolt actions, levers, and semi automatic rifles and I'm not sure what the advantages/disadvantages are. I'd like to get something that is good quality. I do really like the look of those handsome wood stock rifles, but that is obviously not the most important aspect. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2011, 03:27 AM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Anything from marlin is good. Ruger 10/22, henry, winchester and older remingtons are all great little 22s. If you want accuracy then bolts are usually the way to go. The question i should have asked first is what is your price range? The ones i mentioned are the cheaper end with the most expensive being henry i do believe.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:35 AM   #3

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

I was in the same spot a while back, not sure if I'd even like rifle shooting. I got some advice from one of my bandmates when I was thinking of learning to play and buying a guitar..."Get a brand name, spend about 200 bucks, if you don't stick with it, you're only out 200 and you can always recoup the money, if you do, you've got something to build from". Following that advice, I did a little research (thank you TONS FTF'ers), hit the wally world and walked out with a Ruger 10/22. $120, cheap ammo/accessories and whaddya know, I LOVE IT!!! So now, I own 4 guitars and 3 rifles. Still can't play guitar worth a crap but it's fun to try. Can't shoot much better (rifles anyways) but I never had a bad day with it. Tons of choices when it comes to customizing...be careful, you can spend A LOT really easily, but I just left mine stock. Ruger 10/22 gets my vote, hope that helps!

Also, Ruger has a great service dept...so I'm told, never had a problem with any Ruger but that's comforting...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 11-30-2011 at 03:43 AM.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:47 AM   #4

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Look at a Henry Lever action. Good rifle and still made in the USA. Plus fun to shoot!

Old 11-30-2011, 05:00 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Have a look at the Anschütz 520 (CIL300).

Pretty accurate, good german quality und fun to shoot.
Also it has, like the 10/22 a standard 10 round magazine, instead of the tubed mag (pipe mag) and mags are fairly cheap to get.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
dmp

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My vote goes M&P15-22 Has tons of features - lots of room for growth.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #7

Id reccomend a 10/22, there's soooo much to do with it. There are carbon/fiberglass stocks, different barrels, bolt setups, even 200 rnd mags! So long as you have one it won't get oldbits just plain fun to shoot

Old 11-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2063 Times on 1120 Posts
Likes Given: 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp View Post
My vote goes M&P15-22 Has tons of features - lots of room for growth.
I'll 2nd that motion. It's more fun that a barrel of monkeys, and by far is the easiest design to maintain.

2nd choice would be a Marlin 60.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 11-30-2011, 04:35 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A slow but accurate bolt action is a great way to start and to really hone shooting skills, and there are a lot of great options in the 22LR bolt action category.

Browning T-Bolt Sporter

CZ-USA 452 or 453

Old 12-01-2011, 03:32 AM   #10

i like the 10/22 as well,its only limits is how much can u spend,the aftermarket is huge!