Any ideas why the 1st shot is innaccurate? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Any ideas why the 1st shot is innaccurate?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
hmh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

Is it the first shot in a string or is it the first shot after you clean it?

Old 11-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1587 Times on 1084 Posts
Likes Given: 548

I just use a dry brush on my 22LR, unless the gun will be stored for a long time. If I know I am going to store the weapon I oil the barrel with a patch. I save my 22 cal mops for pushing out dry powder after brushing.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 232 Times on 148 Posts

The first round isn't seating the same as those seated when the action cycles automatically.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #14

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
That is a lon g way from a flier . Is your barrel clean and dry or dry from the last time to the range. If dry. Reduce cleaning as 22's don't need to be cleaned like some other fireams do. Clean the chamber ,the bolt face , the rest of the receiver and action but at best just wipe the barrel with a dry cloth . Even then the different lube used on 22 do react differently when cold and it tends to take a couple rounds to warm things upp. Change ammo brands and a new lube in introduced to the barrel and those first 10 to 20 shoots may shoot differently than the rest of a box too.

rimefires can be the most convoluted cartridges out there.
I haven't cleaned the barrels on my 22's since the mid-80's.
"Those who know how to build their own homes, grow their own food, hunt and slaughter animals for meat, and have a healthy balance of hope and cynicism for humanity will be the ones left at the end, not some 350 pound fatass with a cache of AR's."
-NRA Life Member

Old 11-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #15

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I just use a dry brush on my 22LR, unless the gun will be stored for a long time. If I know I am going to store the weapon I oil the barrel with a patch. I save my 22 cal mops for pushing out dry powder after brushing.
This is pretty much my method in between deep cleanings. A brush and a mop and very little if any oil. Keeps em shootin straight for me.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:28 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1945 Times on 1349 Posts
Likes Given: 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwell View Post
I have a Belgium-made Browning .22 auto, and the first shot shoots 4-6 inches low and to the right. The remainder of the shots are bulls-eye. This has happened multiple times. Is there any chance this could be caused by movement of the scope rings?
While the oiled bore makes sense, funny thing is that nobody knows for sure. I have not noticed such a problem with my 22s at all. I see it occasionally with the Glocks, first shot from a full magazine. The tough mag spring and the unsupported chamber seating may have something g to do here, but the truth is, I don't know.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #17

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

The best .22 target rifle manufacturers recommend cleaning the bore only after several thousand rounds. That is your problem. Don't clean your bore. Let it stay seasoned with bullet lube.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1587 Times on 1084 Posts
Likes Given: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboylan View Post
The best .22 target rifle manufacturers recommend cleaning the bore only after several thousand rounds. That is your problem. Don't clean your bore. Let it stay seasoned with bullet lube.
Most people primarily shoot bulk ammo. There is very little lubricant on bulk ammo compared to premium rimfire ammo. Not to mention if you store bulk ammo for over a year or so the lubricant dries up. YMMV counting on bullet lube from 22LR.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #19

Liked 2188 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 475

I note this same thing with my Ruger MkII and my Ruger 10/22. First round out of the mag is usually off a bit from the rest of the group. It may have to do with the differences in the way rounds seat in the chamber when manually cycled vs. cycled from firing. As someone else already mentioned, fouling shots are often used when firing for groups. I did this when testing different ammo for the best groups with these auto loaders. I would fire one round at a central point of the target and then fire for record the rest of the shots at the actual intended bullseye.

My bolt action .22 has no such problem evident.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #20
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1976 Times on 1070 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Target shooters when testing 22lr ammo will clean the bore when changing brands and then fire 10 or more shots with the new ammo to coat the bore with the different brands lube. I have seen some shooters weigh each round and segregate them by weight, mic the rim thickness and so on. When they find a good shooter, they try and buy up the whole lot. Way out of my league.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."