Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Any ideas why the 1st shot is innaccurate? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/any-ideas-why-1st-shot-innaccurate-100442/)

rbwell 11-17-2013 11:35 AM

Any ideas why the 1st shot is innaccurate?

I have a Belgium-made Browning .22 auto, and the first shot shoots 4-6 inches low and to the right. The remainder of the shots are bulls-eye. This has happened multiple times. Is there any chance this could be caused by movement of the scope rings?

hiwall 11-17-2013 12:03 PM

For a hundred years in matches shooters have done a 'fouling shot' before the actual scoring shots.

Vincine 11-17-2013 12:23 PM

Why don't you just skip firing the first shot?

MCarter788 11-17-2013 12:56 PM

If you have cleaning solution in your barrel then it will change the way the projectile travels down the barrel.

Jagermeister 11-17-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCarter788 (Post 1433826)
If you have cleaning solution in your barrel then it will change the way the projectile travels down the barrel.

Also, if you have oil in the barrel, the first bullet will travel further in the direction of the rifling. We call it the oil shot over here. Not sure what is called in the States.

therewolf 11-17-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincine (Post 1433820)
Why don't you just skip firing the first shot?

Save a lot on ammo that way, huh, V?

With all three of my Mosins, the opposite is true.

The first shot is dead-bang center, and all the follow-up shots are crap...

Vincine 11-17-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 1433839)
Save a lot on ammo that way, huh, V?

Not really, but one less 'flyer' does tighten up my groups.

Axxe55 11-17-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbwell (Post 1433793)
I have a Belgium-made Browning .22 auto, and the first shot shoots 4-6 inches low and to the right. The remainder of the shots are bulls-eye. This has happened multiple times. Is there any chance this could be caused by movement of the scope rings?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall (Post 1433811)
For a hundred years in matches shooters have done a 'fouling shot' before the actual scoring shots.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCarter788 (Post 1433826)

from your description, i am thinking these guys have hit the mark. oil residue in the barrel can cause an errant shot on the first one. either take a fouling shot or run a dry patch through the barrel before you start shooting.

i highly doubt it's the scope rings. if it was, all of your shots would be all over the place.

hardluk1 11-17-2013 01:44 PM

That is a lon g way from a flier . Is your barrel clean and dry or dry from the last time to the range. If dry. Reduce cleaning as 22's don't need to be cleaned like some other fireams do. Clean the chamber ,the bolt face , the rest of the receiver and action but at best just wipe the barrel with a dry cloth . Even then the different lube used on 22 do react differently when cold and it tends to take a couple rounds to warm things upp. Change ammo brands and a new lube in introduced to the barrel and those first 10 to 20 shoots may shoot differently than the rest of a box too.

rimefires can be the most convoluted cartridges out there.

therewolf 11-17-2013 02:01 PM

I use a small diameter laundry line cord, soaked in oil,

to clean my 22LRs, feed a string from the chamber side,

and pull the rope through the barrel once, it picks up gunpowder

and leaves oil.

Noo need to show your gratitude, for my pioneering another

way to save heaps of money on barrel cleaning, the satisfaction

of helping is thanks enough.

I'll be here till Thursday...:D