Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Any ideas for a new .22 rimfire? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/any-ideas-new-22-rimfire-65726/)

longunner 06-03-2012 06:51 PM

Any ideas for a new .22 rimfire?

Hi everyone I am new to this site and I have been browsing around in the forums and it seems like a great place to be a part of. I have recently been thinking about my second firearm purchase. I have a shotgun and at the range I go to they only let you shoot slugs at the paper targets, and it is getting to be a pain in my ass to take out my friends and pay for ammo all the time!!:mad: I want to get something a little more affordable when it comes to ammo, so i think a .22 is m best bet. I would prefer to have something that is tube fed and bolt action, but most important of all it has to be affordable. I am not looking to drop hundreds of dollars on some fancy little piece, i just need something that shoots accurately!! Magazine capacity does not concern me. I have been looking around on the web for a good choice but I would like to know what other people have bought and the experiences they have had with their own.

Thanks in advance for taking time to read/respond!!

Ranger-6 06-03-2012 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up a Mossberg 702 Plinkster at Walmart for $107.00 the other day. I put a 4x32 scope on it and the UGT tactical bipod. I am thinking about changing the scope to 3-9x32 for increased clarity. This is a fine shooter with Federal: 22lr, 36 grain, copper plated HP, 1260/125 #1GT749. Could not ask for anything more reliable.

Axxe55 06-03-2012 07:19 PM

Marlin, Savage and Ruger all make very affordable 22 rifles that would suit your needs perfectly. i think you are on the right track with the option of a 22 for range target practice, as you can buy a bulk box of 500 or more for usually less than $20. you a few friends could shoot for quit a while on that.

my 22 rifle is an older Marlin M60 semi auto with a tube magazine. i bought mine used for about $70 and refinished it and put a 3-9x40 Simmons scope on it i already had. the only thing i bought for it were some scope rings, sandpaper, and swivel studs. i still have less than $100 in the rifle and it shoots great. it's hard to wear out a rimfire, so another alternative is to look for a good used one at the gun stores or pawnshops. sometimes they can be bought for real cheap.

historydoc 06-03-2012 07:24 PM

Marlin and Savage are more accurate out of the box. Marlin makes a tube fed gun that would be perfect for you, from the sounds of it.

historydoc 06-03-2012 07:27 PM

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36_323/Marlin/
This will give you an idea of what is out there and some real world prices.

canebrake 06-03-2012 07:27 PM

I know you said bolt gun but this Marlin is tough to beat!

Marlin 22LR AUTO TUBE $160 delivered

Vincine 06-03-2012 07:30 PM

I know you stated you want a tube fed bolt action 22, but I do believe the auto Ruger 10/22 magazines fit flush with the bottom of the rifle. They are VERY popular, come in half a dozen flavors, and are very modifiable.

What do you mean by ‘accurate’? Do you want to hit a bouncing tin can over and over or do you want to put ten rounds through one hole? I don’t think you’re going to find ‘accurate’ and inexpensive in the same firearm, I know, I looked.

I ended up with a bolt action Savage Mk II as the best straight out of the box bang for the buck accuracy, but it has a magazine that interferes with my support hand. I haven’t figured out the best way to hold it yet. I think more money gets you better rifles, but with diminishing returns.

What kind of shooting do you want to do? How far is your range?

Vincine 06-03-2012 07:44 PM

This is a link to the Marlin rifle below: http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xt/XT22.asp

"This is the new line of 22 caliber rimfire rifles from Marlin. Perfect for target practice and small game, these bolt-action 22s are reliable, accurate and fun to shoot. They come in several different models, with 4 or 7-shot clip magazines or 12-shot tube magazines; synthetic, hardwood or laminated stocks; ramp sights, hood sights or fiber-optic sights. All of them have Marlin innovations such as the Pro-FireŽ Adjustable Trigger and Micro-GrooveŽ rifling. The XT-22 series comes chambered in 22 Short, 22 Long, 22 Long Rifle or 22 Winchester Magnum Rifle (WMR)."

longunner 06-03-2012 08:02 PM

Thanks for all the quick responses everyone!! Marlin is definitely an attractive option for me. I have heard many good things about them in terms of both reliability and affordability. The model 60 might be my best bet because I am not married to the idea of having a bolt action gun....does anyone know if semi auto has any significant difference in accuracy because i have heard that with larger bore rifles it makes a pretty noticeable difference.

Axxe55 06-03-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNARG (Post 823848)
Thanks for all the quick responses everyone!! Marlin is definitely an attractive option for me. I have heard many good things about them in terms of both reliability and affordability. The model 60 might be my best bet because I am not married to the idea of having a bolt action gun....does anyone know if semi auto has any significant difference in accuracy because i have heard that with larger bore rifles it makes a pretty noticeable difference.

the M60 because of the Marlin Micro Grooved barrel is pretty dang accurate. normaly i would say a bolt action rifle is a little more accurate than a semi auto, but in most 22 rifles, unless you want to step up to match grade ammo, i don't think you will see that big a difference. accuracy has a price. if you had an unlimited budget and wanted to put all the shots into one hole at 100 yards, then you buy an expensive target rifle and match grade ammo and go practicing. price wise for what you want, the Marlin, the Savage or even the Ruger should fit your needs.