antique rimfire ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > antique rimfire ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default antique rimfire ammo

Approx. 7 years ago I purchased an antique single-shot rifle at auction. It is an early 1900's Stevens "Favorite" chambered for .25 rimfire ammo. The rifle is in good condition except for the butt plate, which is missing a small section.
The bore looks real good and it has a flip-up sight. It is a lever action also.
I was able to find a full box of .25 ammo at a gun show, but I have never fired the rifle. Does anyone know more about these rifles? When did the .25 cartridge stop being produced? What were the ballistics like? Is this rifle worth keeping? The only number I can find is behind the trigger underneath the cocking lever. ( T 647)

I also have a .22 single shot bolt action Winchester Model 68. It looks to be in excellent condition. It has a military-style leather sling. The rear sight is an ajustable peep sight, and the front sight is hooded. I have not been able to find a serial number. Does anyone know more about this rifle?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2008, 10:43 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I give ya 10 bucks for both and I aint even seen them yet

Old 01-30-2008, 02:17 AM   #3

You don't even rate a decent reply.

S.F.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:11 AM   #4

Default im humble...LOL..sometimes

..well the stevens vavorite is before my time,,but could it be a 25-20
cal???i have never seen one other than a 22cal,and as far as the winchester
it could very well not have a serial no. and the reason you were offered
$10.00 bucks because both guns are very valuble,the winchester could very
well be a U.S. training rifle,by what you have said and it having a peep
sight,that would realy put kindle in the fire,,any-hoot they are two sought
after little rifles,but dig some info on that caliber of the VAVORITE...

Old 02-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #5

Default Thank you

I just wanted to say that I appreciate the input. I have found that the Winchester was made between 1933-1946.....something like 100K were made and they had no serial number.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:06 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2995 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Try rimfirecentral.com. Old Western Srounger has some oddball ammo sometimes. Not to say you are an oddball.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 218 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The Stevens Favorite was chambered in a bunch of different calibers.
25 rimfire was fairly common. Unfortunately, as far as I know 25 rimfire
hasn't been produced since before WWII.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The old Stevens is just a wall hanger. No doubt it is still in shootable condition, the problem is that a box of ammo for it will cost you several time what you paid for the gun. As for the Win. it should still be a good shooter and pretty accurate.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 02-14-2008, 01:49 AM   #9

The only place you might find 25 rimfire is gunshows, online auctions, or estate auctions. In any case it will be expensive as it is very hard to find. OWS had plans about 8 years ago to make 1 million rounds but that never came to fruition. My father in law has a Steven's favorite in 25 rimfire with an aperture sight. He has 2 boxes of Canuck brand .25 left that were made after WW2 so they were made past that point. Everytime I go back to visit I'll take the Steven's out and shoot a few rounds for the experience. Even took it out for chuck's once. It is a great round, too bad it will never be produced again.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:28 PM   #10

Default Stevens

I have a Stevens .25 rimfire gun also. Its probobly worth (depending on condition) about $3200.00. I found an EMPTY 25 rimfire box for sale on ebay for $60. They stopped making the ammo commercially in the early 1940's. I had a 50round intact box and fired off all but 8rnds before I realised I wouldnt get anymore. In either case I blew through a $150+ box of ammo and didnt know it... DOH! Anyhow there are online custom ammo makers that will produce .25cal RF at like $3.00 a round. The gun I have shoots great. Accurate as hell with the peep sights and the ballistics arnt bad. At least none of the woodchucks I shot with it complained. Hope this helps.