Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > another "my first gun" thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 342 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
Your groups are pretty consistent at 1 - 2 o'clock. I wish mine were that tight. Do you have adjustable sights? I bet if you came down & left a 'click' or two, you'd be dead center.
I would adjust the scope to dead center, but it's my girlfriends rifle and she said that it's hitting dead on for her, so I'll lost her decide when/if she wants to adjust it.

But I'm sure if you shout off sand bags you could get tighter groups. I've only been shooting since the 26th of December.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #12

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

OK from what you have detailed out, IMHO is to get a tube fed lever action maybe with a 4x scope.

either a tube or a magazine fed rifle would work for your area. but to me it just seems right to have a lever action with a tube in a "gallery" atmosphere. kind of a combination of the carnival and hunting squirrels & chipmunks with my air rifle as a kid. ok even bigger smiles... thanks for that memory lane trip

Curlyjoe

Old 06-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Marlin model 60 is a tube fed semiauto. And its cool looking with the wooden stock.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyjoe_99 View Post
OK from what you have detailed out, IMHO is to get a tube fed lever action maybe with a 4x scope.

either a tube or a magazine fed rifle would work for your area. but to me it just seems right to have a lever action with a tube in a "gallery" atmosphere. kind of a combination of the carnival and hunting squirrels & chipmunks with my air rifle as a kid. ok even bigger smiles... thanks for that memory lane trip

Curlyjoe
exactly what i was thinking. i wanted the opinion of people who have actually shot in a similar area and could tell me what they found most enjoyable. although, i wouldn't scope the lever, just doesn't look right to me to have a scope on an octagonal barrel.
the reason i was thinking of the xt22tr was because i could load shorts in it. they wouldnt be terribly accurate but close enough at 10 yards and the gun can hold 26 of them!(25+1)

1 of the many reasons i dont particularly want a semi-auto is because i like manipulating an action. BANG-BANG-BANG has its appeal but i just think it would get boring quicker.

we'll be going down to Indiana sometime soon i'm sure so i can ask to borrow the Marlin and what-i-assume-is-a-Henry then. the marlin is an older box mag bolt but i dont know which one. i have reason to believe it's older than me because he said he bought it to replace the one he lost in a divorce and he's been married to my grandma since before i was born. i was born in '93. makes you feel old, doent it? a kid younger than some of your socks is old enough to buy firearms!

Last edited by moron88; 06-07-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by moron88

(cut)

the reason i was thinking of the xt22tr was because i could load shorts in it. they wouldnt be terribly accurate but close enough at 10 yards and the gun can hold 26 of them!(25+1)

1 of the many reasons i dont particularly want a semi-auto is because i like manipulating an action. BANG-BANG-BANG has its appeal but i just think it would get boring quicker.

(cut)

i was born in '93. makes you feel old, doent it? a kid younger than some of your socks is old enough to buy firearms!
I'm not to sure how the TR would load shorts, but I've tried to run a box through the R and they didn't seem to want to cycle all to well. But a box is cheap so feel free to try, you might hav better results.

I hear you on the semi-auto thing. I've got a 702 plinkster and after 2-3 magazines I find myself itching to use my girl friends rifle.

Man, am I happy to hear I'm not the only young guy on here who's nuts about shooting. I was also born in '93 only difference between me and you.....I've already bought 4 long guns. Lmao
(1 shut gun, 1 .243 and 2 .22LRs)

Old 06-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

marlin's website says it'll load shorts, it's tube feed after all. only issue i have with them is you have to scrub the chamber after shooting them. easy to do on my gun, the chamber is wide open when you load it and can be removed in 15 seconds, but it wont be as easy with a more enclosed chamber.

the only reason it's taken me this long to get a second gun is that i dont have my drivers license yet. i may get it this month (hopefully). it's a pain to get ammo, having to get my mom to go to the gun shop with me when she doesnt exactly approve.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #17

Quote:
marlin's website says it'll load shorts, it's tube feed after all. only issue i have with them is you have to scrub the chamber after shooting them. easy to do on my gun, the chamber is wide open when you load it and can be removed in 15 seconds, but it wont be as easy with a more enclosed chamber.

the only reason it's taken me this long to get a second gun is that i dont have my drivers license yet. i may get it this month (hopefully). it's a pain to get ammo, having to get my mom to go to the gun shop with me when she doesnt exactly approve.
Ooh, well the tube fed version might be better designed for shorties then the magazine fed one.

I feel your pain there, I had to get a friend to drive me to the gun shop when I picked up three of my guns. But that was only because I didn't have a vehicle. My step mom only half approves, she doesn't care if I go out shooting, but tends to give the whole "you could spend your money better" and "what do you need a gun for?" lectures at points. Also can't keep them in my house.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:

Get a henry...they shoot short/long/lr and out of all the firearms I've ever shot I have had more fun with that thing then any thing. For real. I'm hitting golf balls consistantly at 40+ yards. And it is a HOOT to shoot. Bolt actions are cool I guess...I'm not a fan. Alot of people want .00002 inch groups with bolts and shoot at paper all day...I've taken my henry through the woods and its super light and remarkably quick to acquire targets. I wouldn't sell it for anything (unless I had enough to buy a new one) if u don't want to scope it (like I didn't) this is the gun for u. I'm extremely surprised cuz everyone on thia forum suggested a genry and on this thread there's not too many henry supporters!! Where y'all at!! Nobody I've talked to that has one has ever said they regretted the purchase. For the record I had a mk2 in left handed...I sold it a month later...got a henry. Bolts in the woods and on trails and small game hunting don't seem right to me....in my head it seems like u have to sit and post with one. Call me nuts w/e. Go Henry...made in America or not at all

Old 06-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #19
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5492 Times on 2713 Posts
Likes Given: 5824

My first was an Ithaca 22 single shot lever action saddle gun. I was 9 years old and it was the greatest thing ever! I carried on my bike, mini bike, fishing and whenever I felt like it. Killed a thousand pigeons and squirrels with it and still have it today. It still has the occasion to whack a muskrat or two out of my pond!

ith-22-sddle-gun-2.jpg  

Old 06-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

thanks for all the help. i'll have to wait til next month at the earliest to get anything as i'm not getting as much money as i thought this month and i've got other things to get first. plus i should be getting some form of photo id soon so i can get the gun myself, i wont have to convince my mom to "buy" the gun.