Ammo at Walmart - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ammo at Walmart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 678 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucemanbb View Post
I'm 66 years of age and got "carded" in WalMart a while back purchasing a bottle of wine. No B.S.
Yep. I'm 76 and Walmart cards me when I buy beer. Piggly-Wiggly down the street….? Nah! The owner and the cashiers there work it out somehow. Piggly-Wiggly also has a 'beer-wall' where they have about thirty different brands of beer and you can 'mix and match' your own cold six-pack for $8.95. That's where I go….. But that's another subject!

Old 02-18-2012, 12:10 AM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm ok with them carding everyone every time, for booze or ammo. They should not get to write down the info, but just verify age is legal for purchase.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #23

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Some Walmart employees ask at the stores here in MI. I've always answered 'rifle', but a friend in his 60's made the mistake of saying 'pistol' & was refused the sale.

Based on that, it would seem to be corporate/store policy, but it's definitely not universally applied. I'll have to ask why they need to know, next time I'm in the sg department...

Old 02-18-2012, 12:57 AM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8885 Times on 3847 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

"What's it for? Why, it's for my single shot machine gun."

But try to keep a straight face, OK ?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:04 AM   #25

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36 View Post
Yep. I'm 76 and Walmart cards me when I buy beer. Piggly-Wiggly down the street….? Nah! The owner and the cashiers there work it out somehow. Piggly-Wiggly also has a 'beer-wall' where they have about thirty different brands of beer and you can 'mix and match' your own cold six-pack for $8.95. That's where I go….. But that's another subject!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deucemanbb View Post
I'm 66 years of age and got "carded" in WalMart a while back purchasing a bottle of wine. No B.S.
I think they were looking to give you guys a senior citizen discount.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #26

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Y'all have the right track. Federal law says you may not sell handgun ammo to anyone under 21, nor rifle/shotgun ammo to anyone under 18. The computer system that operates their cash registers recognizes the scan of age restricted merchandise (not just ammo) and makes the cashier enter data to clear it. If clerk entered handgun, and put in a DOB for someone age 20, it would decline the sale. They are just trying to comply with Fed law.
Just an update:
I happened to be in the WM store where I was asked "pistol or rifle" & it turns out the c3 nailed it. The associate I spoke with said almost exactly that^^^.
I asked about the incident in which a guy was turned away after answering "pistol" & was told it must have been another issue. It seems that they have some leeway in deciding whether or not to sell firearms/ammo. For example, he said that if someone smelled of alcohol, couldn't produce ID, or seemed to be buying for somebody else, the employee could reject the sale. Made perfect sense, though I have no idea if any of these applied to the person I was referring to.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:12 AM   #27
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1914 Times on 1105 Posts
Likes Given: 3905

I go to my local Walmart and do the local ammo check. No issues!

Old 03-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I went to Walmart in ct and tried to buy some cci cb shorts and when asked for rifle or pistol I said rifle then she asked for my id and I gave her my military id and she looked at it for a min then said we don't accept this as a form of id, I said then what do you take she says state and federal id's lol ru kidding me its a federal government dod issued id, eventually a manager came over and rung me up. What a hassle

Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 AM   #29

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Yeah, they don't generally hire Mensa members.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmarine3533 View Post
I went to Walmart in ct and tried to buy some cci cb shorts and when asked for rifle or pistol I said rifle then she asked for my id and I gave her my military id and she looked at it for a min then said we don't accept this as a form of id, I said then what do you take she says state and federal id's lol ru kidding me its a federal government dod issued id, eventually a manager came over and rung me up. What a hassle
I buy ammo from Cabelas in CT all the time and have never been asked for an ID..and I’m from Rhode Island. That Wal-Mart employee just didn’t know what she was doing, especially since she didn’t accept your DOD ID..

When I do buy ammo from Wal-Mart in RI I also get asked the Pistol/long gun question. It actually pops up on their register screen when they scan the ammo so it’s not the cashiers fault for Wal-Mart being nosy..