Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ammo at Walmart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2241 Times on 1122 Posts
Likes Given: 1150

I guess it may just be policy. Kind of like when you are 21 yoa "More than Once" and when you go to a bar with your son and they ask to see his ID and then made me show my ID. I asked the cute little girl "Do I owe you a HUG for asking!
She stated no but I will take the Hug anyway, but it is just policy here. So we ask everyone.
Probably a policy where they advise all their employees that are in the sporting goods section at Wal-Mart? And likely since they do it to everyone no one will slip up and forget to ask someone under 21 who for example would be buying it for a handgun. I guess I can understand it looking at it like that! But I have a good friend "Bob" who is in charge of the sporting goods and weapon sales at my Local Wal-Mart when I see him I will ask him about that issue.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 02-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #12

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I didn't get the question but maybe it's cause I look old. But when I bought a box of .45 they wouldn't give it to me and let me walk around the store. The lady asked if I was going to purchase it now or if I had more shopping to do. I told her I had more shopping to do and she said just let the person at the register know you have a box of ammo and it will be waiting there for you. I asked why and apparently it's some state law which makes a whole lot of sense since I was carrying my 1911 and 3 FREAKING MAGS!! Ha the look on her face was priceless.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #13

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Between Walmart and Fleet Farm you can't beat the price on ammo. I have gotten that question before as well in Minnesota and I am 45. Just have fun with it. I like the sling shot comment.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113
I didn't get the question but maybe it's cause I look old. But when I bought a box of .45 they wouldn't give it to me and let me walk around the store. The lady asked if I was going to purchase it now or if I had more shopping to do. I told her I had more shopping to do and she said just let the person at the register know you have a box of ammo and it will be waiting there for you. I asked why and apparently it's some state law which makes a whole lot of sense since I was carrying my 1911 and 3 FREAKING MAGS!! Ha the look on her face was priceless.
That's what I was thinking also. In my case I didn't have my gun with me so my thought was "what am I going to do, throw them at people?"

Old 02-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Yea, it happened to me also, 50 years old. I told her it was for my slingshot.
Should've told them it was for your machine gun

Old 02-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #16

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I may hit walmart tonight. I've only got 100 rounds of .45, and I'm going to save at least enough for both mags after shooting my new gun, ergo, I need more ammo! Story of my freaking life.

I'll report back with whatever happens. I haven't bought ammo at wally's in years.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
I think they do that so you can't decide that you don't want it, and just leave it somewhere in the store for some kid/criminal/other to pick up and buy, but that's just a guess.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I may hit walmart tonight. I've only got 100 rounds of .45, and I'm going to save at least enough for both mags after shooting my new gun, ergo, I need more ammo! Story of my freaking life.

I'll report back with whatever happens. I haven't bought ammo at wally's in years.
Good luck, be sure to tell them its for a shotgun.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8449 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Y'all have the right track. Federal law says you may not sell handgun ammo to anyone under 21, nor rifle/shotgun ammo to anyone under 18. The computer system that operates their cash registers recognizes the scan of age restricted merchandise (not just ammo) and makes the cashier enter data to clear it. If clerk entered handgun, and put in a DOB for someone age 20, it would decline the sale. They are just trying to comply with Fed law. My grocery has same thing with tobacco and alcohol.

And before anyones asks- same law says IF a round can be used for BOTH rifle and handgun, but it is going to be used in a rifle, you can buy at 18. Say an 18 year old that has a Ruger .44 mag carbine. Or a .22 rifle.

I DID get carded in VA Beach a couple of years ago- ordered a beer with my pizza. Turned out they got busted serving a minor- once more, they lose their license. They were carding EVERYBODY.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #20

I'm 66 years of age and got "carded" in WalMart a while back purchasing a bottle of wine. No B.S.