Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ammo question about Aguila .22 LR Sniper Subsonic 60-gr ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good info for later use. I have a couple of older .22 rimfire rifles ( Remington Sport Master Model 512X and a Glenfield-Marlin Model 25) that are chambered for short, long, and long rifle ammo. Probably will try some of the suggested/ listed .22 ammo a little later on when I have more time to fit-out/ repair and shoot the rifles.

glenfield-marlin-model-25.jpg   remington-sportmaster-model-512-x.jpg  

Old 11-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog57 View Post
Depends on the rifle - most .22 rifles I have shot the Colibri from worked fine - only the Winchester 75T target rifle had a tight bore that caused a 'stickage'.
I did get a brick of Super Colibri afterwards.
I find the older 'vintage' rifles tend to shoot them better, and the same when using the Aguila 'SSS'rounds - different rifling rateI would guess. They work great from my Romanian M69.
The 'SSS" was also the only ammo that would work in my Whitney Wolverine pistol when I first got it - some TLC on the chamber face fixed that.

The Colibri and Super Colibri (350FPS and 550FPS respectively) are distance limited - about 25 yards is max, and there ain't much whack factor then. I once bounced a Colibri off the skull of a home-invading Possum at point blank range - found him dead later but he shook it off and ran - it wasn't a clean kill.
The "SSS" has excellent "Whompability" (coined by a shooting buddy) on small critters. But the rifle has to like it to get good accuracy. It's not as quiet as you'd think either, but it has no 'CRACK!" like most .22LR ammo.
I need QUIET too. Tried popping a squirrel once with my Red Ryder - ewww..... did he ever curse me out! Haven't heard language like that since my Navy days.
I like the word "Whompability", exactly what I need in "bustin" squirrels within 25 yards of my bird feeders. EQUALLY important is QUIET. With the prohibition of the discharge of firearms within the city limits, I absolutely need quiet. Now, I'm using one of three scoped bolt action rifles for squirrel bustin- Ruger 77/22, Marlin Model 980SS, and Remington Model 580. Even though the Remington is a single shot, absolutely love it for what I'm doing. The ammo I'm that I've most satisfied with currently to do what I want to do is the CCI Subsonic Segmented Copper Plated Hollow Point, quiet and real effective for the kill. Is there any subsonic ammo that is quieter than the CCI Subsonic Segmented ammo (CCI-0074)?

Old 11-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OP,
A few of my personal observations......
The Aguila sniper round is noisier than you might think.
The Colibri rounds are really underpowered for a clean, humane kill on a squirrel.
I've had very good results using the Remington .22 LR CBs. They feed better than .22 longs from my Mossberg 40 and will neatly kill a squirrel. They may be a bit hard to find so you may have to order online.
FWIW
YMMV

Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickySantoro View Post
OP,
A few of my personal observations......
The Aguila sniper round is noisier than you might think.
The Colibri rounds are really underpowered for a clean, humane kill on a squirrel.
I've had very good results using the Remington .22 LR CBs. They feed better than .22 longs from my Mossberg 40 and will neatly kill a squirrel. They may be a bit hard to find so you may have to order online.
FWIW
YMMV
I'm curious, The Remington .22 ammo that you suggesting, is it the Subsonic 38 gr lead round nose hollow point ammo (Remington #21140)? If so, I've got a few rounds short of a brick in my inventory of ammo. I normally don't shoot thees rounds out of my auto-loaders (10/22) because there rather dirty. I'll shoot the Remington's out of my older bolt actions that are chambered for .22 short/long/long rifle when I want to do a little plinking. I normally use CCI's Segmented Subsonic 40 gr copper plated ammo in all of my bolt action rifles to take down pest squirrels. I like the "whompability"- as another poster coined- of the CCI Segmented ammo. They're both relatively quiet with the CCI Subsonic segmented ammo being a tad quieter.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's a different item and fairly new. Stock # is 21119

Old 11-23-2011, 01:22 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickySantoro View Post
It's a different item and fairly new. Stock # is 21119
Did a quick online search and what comes up is Remington CBee Long Rifle Hollow Point 33 gr. A few of questions:
I see the CBee round has considerable less velocity than the Remington and CCI sub sonic ammo. How does this ammo compare to Remington's Subsonic 40 gr hollow point ammo in sound? How about the CCI?
It appears the bullet weight is much lighter- by 7 gr- when compared to other subsonic .22 ammo, how good is the kill for squirrels? At first thought, I can't see where it would be as effective as a 40 gr bullet, any experience?
I can see the effectiveness of a heavier bullet- >40gr- and slower velocity- 740 fps at muzzle- but not with lighter bullet and slower velocity.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #17

The 60 grainers keyholed at 10 yards from my 10-22. In my 30 year old marlin bolt action they group 3/4 inch at 50 yards, then open up to 1.5 at 75 yards, and 4 in at 100. The bullet is starting to keyhole real good at 100, but retains the thump. I shot a raccoon midsection at 60 yards , it dropped faster than I'd ever seen from a 22l.r. This ammo is definitely gun sensitive but has a high thumpability.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:22 AM   #18

Most .22lr have a 1 in 16" twist barrel. The 60gr SSS being a much longer bullet requires a faster twist to stabilize it.
1 in 9" seems to work for many. You can get a barrel for the 10-22 in the faster twist for that round made by E.R. Shaw.

If you look at the SSS it looks like a 22 short with the rest bullet to make it as long as a 22lr.

Reports I have seen is that it seems to be dirtier (either the lube and/or the powder).

Old 12-20-2011, 03:19 AM   #19
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1665 Times on 907 Posts
Likes Given: 532

I sometimes use the CCI CB shorts in a tube fed rifle in my garage. My rifle likes them and they appear to be accurate. Another rifle I have hates them. I am shooting at 25-45 feet. Noise level is on a par with a spring air pellet rifle. The CB longs or long rifle should be about the same noise level. Lighter bullet at lower velocity equals less noise. It would take more power/powder to drive the heavier bullet.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:27 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The 60 gr will not be of any benefit. You might try CB longs which are a very light charge Some rifles will not like them either.
You might consider a 22 caliber pellet rifle. The ones with the compressed air chambers are very quiet and powerful. The spring air guns are noisier. There are some spring air guns that have suppressors built in. Good ones are very accurate and will take a rabbit at 50'. Pellet rifles are very pellet sensitive but you are looking at $10-$12 for 500 good grade hunting pellets. Make sure you use a scope rated for air rifles as they will wreck a rifle scope.
Air Rifle Review
In the past, Ive used a number of pellet rifles exclusively to drop squirrels around my bird feeders, with a preference for a .22 cal nitro piston and hollow point hunting pellet. However, the weight of the pellet, 14.3 gr max is a little light to the point that good shot placement is an absolute must. I've had to hunt down a number of squirrels to finish them off- a few have managed crawl of to die. So I prefer the .22 rimfire, more effective. Hence, looking for a quiet and "efficient" .22 rimfire round.

Also, tried a Tactical Innovations barrel with 1:9 twist with CCI subsonic 40 gr ammo with really poor results. Will look at buying some Aguila 60 gr subsonic ammo to shoot out of this barrel while trying some other "options".

Last edited by somawas; 12-23-2011 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Wanted to add.