Ammo question about Aguila .22 LR Sniper Subsonic 60-gr ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ammo question about Aguila .22 LR Sniper Subsonic 60-gr ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ammo question about Aguila .22 LR Sniper Subsonic 60-gr ammo

I'm considering purchasing some Aguila .22 LR Sniper Subsonic 60-gr ammo. I'm currently engaged in squirrel control around my bird feeders alternating between the use of two rifles, a Ruger 77/22 and Marlin Model 980S- both bolt actions- from an open window. Since I live within the limits of a city which has an ordinance prohibiting discharge firearms, subsonic .22 rounds are a must to keep the noise down. Most shots are within ten yards, but can be out to 25 yards max. I currently use Remington Subsonic 38 gr round nose hollow point ammo with good results- both noise and kills, a little too dirty for my taste but I'll continue to use them as long as I have them and no big issue to clean the rifles at shorter intervals. I've also use CCI Subsonic
(0056) 40 gr round nose lead hollow point- again with good results in noise levels and kills and are readily available at a gun shop that I visit on a monthly basis. However, I've had the best results with CCI Subsonic (0074) 40 gr segmented copper plated hollow point- EVERY squirrel hit has been bagged and sent to the land fill. These rounds are generally purchased on-line at a price which is better that the gun shop that I purchased my first box of 50.
I really want is to get an opinion on whether it's worth the money to buy a brick of the Aguila .22 LR Sniper Subsonic 60-gr ammo or even one box, or should I just take the money and buy more of the CCI Subsonic segmented ammo which I've been pretty satisfied with up to now?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9570 Times on 4118 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

I have had some problems with 60 gr not really stabilizing- the bullet weight/length is just a bit goofy for the rate of twist of a .22 The CCI CB Longs are VERY quiet (hear the firing pin hit) and other than dropping a lot more than LR, are pretty accurate. They will not cycle a semi- except for some of my older Remingtons that have a floating chamber, and are marked S-L-LR.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2416 Times on 1308 Posts
Likes Given: 695

The 60 gr will not be of any benefit. You might try CB longs which are a very light charge Some rifles will not like them either.
You might consider a 22 caliber pellet rifle. The ones with the compressed air chambers are very quiet and powerful. The spring air guns are noisier. There are some spring air guns that have suppressors built in. Good ones are very accurate and will take a rabbit at 50'. Pellet rifles are very pellet sensitive but you are looking at $10-$12 for 500 good grade hunting pellets. Make sure you use a scope rated for air rifles as they will wreck a rifle scope.
Air Rifle Review

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 599

My 10/22 shoots the Aguilla SSS 60gr bullets pretty good.I was really surprised that they would stabilize with the standard twist rate,but they do with that rifle.They do drop off pretty fast,so you will need to re-zero your rifle if you shoot them.
They also grouped around an inch at 50yds out of that rifle.

Buy a box and try them out,if your rifle will shoot them you might like them.If it doesn't,then your only out a few bucks!

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 11-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #5

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

My Marlin 60 holds 3/8-7/16" groups at 50 yards with Remington subsonic.

2" with 60gr Aguila.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #6

Liked 751 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 794

Aguila make a 38gr sub sonic that is quiter then a cap gun, you can hear the pin drop. CCI also makes a VG sub sonic, same thing but more $. Both cycle in my Marlin 60. In my old bolt gun they are very accurate and have no report.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ammo question about Aguila .22 LR Sniper Subsonic 60-gr ammo

Thanks for helping me think. I'm probably going to leave the Ajuila subsonic 60 gr ammo alone and spend the money for more CCI Subsonic 40 gr ammo for which I've had really good results.

JTJ, I started my squirrel control action with pellet rifles- some good ones at that. In my process of squirrel control, one rarely get a chance at a follow up shot before the squirrel can crawl away and die from its' wounds; as a result, the only reason to really sink the money into a "pre charged pneumatic" is for the fast repeating capability. I've got a couple of "nitrogen piston" air rifles (.177 cal. that propels a 7.9 gr pellet at 1200 fps and a .22 cal. that sends a 14.3 gr pellet 800 fps. Both pellets are hollow point) that are capable of dropping a squirrel within 35 feet/ 10.5 yards- which is the range I'm most concerned about in my back yard- and are a little more affordable. An adequate "new" pre charged pneumatic gun starts at $350 and goes up, like the Air Force Condor or Talon that start at $600 or the Crosman Rouge at $1300.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:46 AM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you are talking about the Aguila 60Gr SSS rounds - they are not the quiet rounds you want.
Look at the Colibri or Super Colibri for quiet - but neither are for rifles as you run the risk of the 20Gr bullet getting stuck in the barrel.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Actually, the Super Colibri are okay for rifles. 20gr solid bullet at 500 ft/s. The regular Colibri is only for revolvers. Same sized pill but the speed is only 375 ft/s.

Both rounds have no powder, just a primer.

Good for quiet practice, but not strong enough to cleanly kill a squirrel.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Depends on the rifle - most .22 rifles I have shot the Colibri from worked fine - only the Winchester 75T target rifle had a tight bore that caused a 'stickage'.
I did get a brick of Super Colibri afterwards.
I find the older 'vintage' rifles tend to shoot them better, and the same when using the Aguila 'SSS'rounds - different rifling rateI would guess. They work great from my Romanian M69.
The 'SSS" was also the only ammo that would work in my Whitney Wolverine pistol when I first got it - some TLC on the chamber face fixed that.

The Colibri and Super Colibri (350FPS and 550FPS respectively) are distance limited - about 25 yards is max, and there ain't much whack factor then. I once bounced a Colibri off the skull of a home-invading Possum at point blank range - found him dead later but he shook it off and ran - it wasn't a clean kill.
The "SSS" has excellent "Whompability" (coined by a shooting buddy) on small critters. But the rifle has to like it to get good accuracy. It's not as quiet as you'd think either, but it has no 'CRACK!" like most .22LR ammo.
I need QUIET too. Tried popping a squirrel once with my Red Ryder - ewww..... did he ever curse me out! Haven't heard language like that since my Navy days.