Ammo for CZ 452 .22 LR - Practice Shooting in the range
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ammo for CZ 452 .22 LR - Practice Shooting in the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ammo for CZ 452 .22 LR - Practice Shooting in the range

Hi, I just bought my 1st rifle - a CZ 452 Lux .22 lr with iron sights. Now I need recommendations on ammo for practice/target shooting in the range.

Coulld you share your experience in the ammo you use with bolt action .22 rimfire? I'd like to start with economical but reliable ammo that will NOT do damage to the barrel of my CZ.

Please list a few brand names & online retailers/stores where I can purchase.

Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #2

Default Me too

I just got my Lux in August. I've been to the range 5 or 6 times and have used 4 different ammos: CCI-SV, Fed 714(711B), Fed 510 and Aguila SE. I have not yet used any copper clad/washed bullets, just lubed lead. The gun seems to like all of them! They all shoot extremely well, or at least, better than I can. If I had to choose a winner so far, I would give it to the Aguila SE. For the $, it's hard to beat the Fed 510

Old 10-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #3

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 756

I don't believe any .22lr ammo will hurt your rifle. My .22 rifles do very well w/ Winchester wildcats. Aguila Eley primed is outstanding as are CCI mini mags. For plinking Aguila Centurian is VG.
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?tabId=3&categoryId=10017&categ oryString=653***7547***

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 10-17-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #4

Default Federal and Winchester Value Pack

Hi, thanks for your postings. I saw Federal 550 rounds and Winchester Hollow Point Plated 555 rounds value packs at local Walmart for under $20 per pack. Any experience with these ammo? They're the least expensive ammo I've seen so far.

Meanwhile, Walmart has small pack (50 round) CCI but not the 100 or 500 rounds CCI. Is CCI better than Federal or Winchester hollow point? For practice /target shooting, does it make any difference?

Thanks.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

For plinking (informal target shooting) just about any .22 LR- and none of them will hurt your rifle. Just about every .22 rifle has ammo that IT likes. When you start getting to the point that you are trying to put 5 into one hole, THEN it starts getting interesting- and you are moving into the somewhat pricy realm of MATCH .22 rf ammo.

You might try some Federal Champion Target- pretty impressive ammo, reasonable price. If I am getting serious, then Wolf MATCH, or Nobel R-50, Lapua Master, Fiocchi Match, etc. There is always Green Tag, Eley Tenex, CCI Match, etc. However, some of my match .22 is running about $20 per box of 50. But with the right rifle and me doing my part, WILL shoot one hole groups.

You have some good gun shops around you, and you might check out Dick Clark in Roanoke area-an indoor range called On Target- and do hit the shows.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #6

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
For plinking (informal target shooting) just about any .22 LR- and none of them will hurt your rifle. Just about every .22 rifle has ammo that IT likes. When you start getting to the point that you are trying to put 5 into one hole, THEN it starts getting interesting- and you are moving into the somewhat pricy realm of MATCH .22 rf ammo.
Yeah. What HE said^^^

Old 10-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2950 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 323

just my experiece, but I've had good luck with CCI Mini Mags & Blazers. They ain't match grade but they do well in all my .22s. I haven't had the patience yet, to do the Mega Multi-Brand test to find out what each individual gun "likes" best.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 10-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #8

CCI- Mini -Mags, Target Match, Standard, Green Tag. Remington- Eley Club Extra Target Rifle, or EPS. {The Club and EPS being the better of the three!} Aquila- anything but the subsonic stuff. The 60 grain sniper subsonic stuff looks interesting but I wouldn't use it in a semi-auto rifle.

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 11-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #9

Default Federal Bulk Pack

Just buy the Federal bulk pack at Walmart. It will be a while before you shoot better than the ammo. After a few thousand rounds try some of the more expensive ammo and see it if improves your groups.

Fourbits

Last edited by Fourbits; 11-06-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: spelling error

Old 11-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Along with the bulk fed, buy a box of the Fed Auto Match bulk box at WalMart. It is about $15 for 325 rounds. And as already mentioned, the fed 510b at $1.47 a box will probably shoot as good as anything under the fancy 10.00 plus a box. Actually, my MKII, Rem Mdl Five, Browning SA/ATD and CZ 452 all shoot the Fed Auto Match better, or just as good as I can shoot any of the rifles. My pistols all like the AM, so I generally keep a good stock of it in supply with the 510b when I am just messing around. For my Henry and 1906, I shoot a lot of the Fed or Win bulk. They don't know the difference and do just fine. I do not shoot any of the Remington trash. VH man:

Hunters & Anglers: The first environmentalists are still the best!

Last edited by tigerbeetle; 11-06-2010 at 06:51 PM.