Ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Ammo

What diffrent types of 22lr ammo is there and can you make you own load of 22 like I know you can re-load but can you load your own?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 680

there are as many brands of .22 as there are cars. and no you cant reload them. they are what we call rimfire. the firing pin hits the rim of the cartridge ingniting the powder. where as center fire (which are reloadable) the firing pin strikes the center of the cartridge where the primer is. all rimfire are non reloadable. .. so go buy a box of each brand and have fun

Old 09-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I ment cant re-load em but can you make you own loads

Old 09-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2570 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I am not sure we are following your question! The only choice you have regarding the 22 Rimfire Ammunition is to buy the brand you want and you can find some variations in bullet weight! But that is it!
However they can be very accurate when matched to the weapon you are shooting. I competed years ago with the Federal H-Power 22 Cal. Rounds and shot a perfect Silhouette Score from 25 to 100 yards with my 10" Thompson Contender Pistol. Saying that it is good ammunition regarding accuracy.
There is other precision 22 Cal match ammunition available to choose from. BUT NO RELOADING on the 22 Cal.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 680

nope. the average weight is 36 gr to 40gr. there are a few others but not many. the .22 is pretty much the simplest round not loadable or reloadable or however you are asking. just buy and shoot

Old 09-01-2011, 12:43 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8960 Times on 3879 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

With enuff time and money it is possible to do anything except ski thru a revolving door, but there in no reloading equipment sold that would allow you to custom load rimfire ammo. It uses a "heel seated" bullet- case grabs the edge of the bullet, unlike center fire ammo that the bullet slides into the case.

There is BB cap, CB Cap, short, long, long rifle. Low velocity, high velocity, ultra high velocity. Solids, hollow point, spire point, wadcutter, tracer, teargas, blank and shot loads. There is CHEEP bulk .22, and $$$$$ match ammo that is unbelievably accurate.

You also will not find reloading data for rimfire, nor is the proprietary powder used in rimfire ammo available on the market. If you plan to just experiment, and see what will blow the bolt out of your rifle, we will ask that you move over to the far side of the firing range- the firing point that has the fresh layer of sand to soak up body fluids.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:34 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
With enuff time and money it is possible to do anything except ski thru a revolving door.
If you could build a big enough revolving door you might be able to ski through it. The door would need to be massive and traveling at a high speed. With enough time and money I bet I could pull it off.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:14 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8960 Times on 3879 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Quote:
I bet I could pull it off
Yes- but if your timing is off just a little, they would have to pull YOU off- the door! ( Dang! I hate it when that happens! Somebody hand me the sqeegee.....)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:19 AM   #9

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
With enuff time and money it is possible to do anything except ski thru a revolving door, but there in no reloading equipment sold that would allow you to custom load rimfire ammo. It uses a "heel seated" bullet- case grabs the edge of the bullet, unlike center fire ammo that the bullet slides into the case.

There is BB cap, CB Cap, short, long, long rifle. Low velocity, high velocity, ultra high velocity. Solids, hollow point, spire point, wadcutter, tracer, teargas, blank and shot loads. There is CHEEP bulk .22, and $$$$$ match ammo that is unbelievably accurate.

You also will not find reloading data for rimfire, nor is the proprietary powder used in rimfire ammo available on the market. If you plan to just experiment, and see what will blow the bolt out of your rifle, we will ask that you move over to the far side of the firing range- the firing point that has the fresh layer of sand to soak up body fluids.
Wasn't there a guy on the board a year or so ago that swore up and down that he knew how to load .22lr rimfire?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-01-2011, 04:50 AM   #10

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

to answer your question theirs hundred of brands everything from solid lead to subsonic to copper plated hallow points. Me personally I use CCI Mini Mags and Remington Golden Bullets 36 grain plated hallow points aprox. 1280 FPS (feet per second), I usually buy it in bricks about 550 rounds costs about $25.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED