Aguila Super Colibri enough for rabbit?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Aguila Super Colibri enough for rabbit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default Aguila Super Colibri enough for rabbit?

Spring will be here soon & the garden will be back in business. I have neighbors so I don't want their attention when the bunnies come. Anyone have these rounds stuck in the barrel their rifle? I'm using my Wally World 10/22 & I know I'll have to rack the slide after each shot.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Last edited by Scratchammo; 01-28-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9132 Times on 3945 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

Questionable, depending on range, and whether you got dem zombie rabbits. You might get a box of CCI CB Longs, and give them a try. Still very quiet. seem to have a smidge more oomph (that's a technical term there) than the Colibri/ Super Colibri. You will still cycle them by hand thru MOST autoloaders (but not my 550-1's!) but they are length of a LR, and cycle easier.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Questionable, depending on range, and whether you got dem zombie rabbits. You might get a box of CCI CB Longs, and give them a try. Still very quiet. seem to have a smidge more oomph (that's a technical term there) than the Colibri/ Super Colibri. You will still cycle them by hand thru MOST autoloaders (but not my 550-1's!) but they are length of a LR, and cycle easier.
Hmm I might give the CB's a try.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #4

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The CB Longs work great. They will not cycle the bolt though, so you will have to do it manually. As far as noise level, they are quieter than a BB gun. I use them all the time in my bolt actions in the yard.

Jim.........

Old 01-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
The CB Longs work great. They will not cycle the bolt though, so you will have to do it manually. As far as noise level, they are quieter than a BB gun. I use them all the time in my bolt actions in the yard.

Jim.........
Thanks for the info. I think I have a few of those in my drawer.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Super Colibri works fine on small birds and squirrels. It does NOT make a clean kill on the hard-headed possum! I literally popped one of the home-invading buggers right between the eyes at point blank - nearly had the muzzle of my Stevens Model 15 right on his nose! He shook it off and ran.
I did find him later piled up under my house....... kileld him but not quick or clean.

Still, better than the prior possum I whacked with a katana - y'all would not believe how two 'half possums' stink...... ugghh!!

Old 01-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog57 View Post
The Super Colibri works fine on small birds and squirrels. It does NOT make a clean kill on the hard-headed possum! I literally popped one of the home-invading buggers right between the eyes at point blank - nearly had the muzzle of my Stevens Model 15 right on his nose! He shook it off and ran.
I did find him later piled up under my house....... kileld him but not quick or clean.

Still, better than the prior possum I whacked with a katana - y'all would not believe how two 'half possums' stink...... ugghh!!
I guess I'll think of my .22 more on the lines of a pellet rifle, I'll stick with small vermin, maybe a lucky shot on a bunny.

How did you get that close to a possum to divide it?!?!

Old 01-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Picture a 300lb white dude at zero-dark-thirty in his skivvies, chasing the possum through his house waving three feet of razor-sharp steel. (Did not want to freak the neighbors with a gunshot)
The critter finally ran across the tiled kitchen floor - I dove at him swinging - and connected. Yuck..... bagged him and he went out to the garbage.......

Those critters have a wicked set of teeth! - I got a good look while I was stabbing at him under the furniture......

Old 01-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #9

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 755

Hands down the best!! Very accurate, cycles in my Model 60. All you hear w/ my bolt guns is the hammer dropping. Quieter then a cap gun.
CCI .22 LR 40 gr Sub Sonic HP Rimfire Ammunition 100/box - Natchez Shooters Supplies

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #10

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I shoot them at the squirrels invading my bird feeders. I have noticed one thing. No two are the same. I have had some quiet enough to shoot with the muzzle next to your ear and hardly hear them others sounded like std velocity 22lr. I just picked up some of the Colibri rounds which are think are quieter than the super Colibri.

If you keep the range below 15 yards you should kill them. Remember you have to take head shots so spend some time on the range to make sure you are hitting the target. I would not take longer shots nor would I take any other shot other than a head shot. I have shot and hit squirrels at 27' (distance from back door to the end of my back yard) and had good solid boiler room hits and watched squirrels run off.

Now I am shooting mine out of a 24" barrel on my remington 511-x and 513-t.

If you want real quiet I would look into getting a threaded barrel and a suppressor then just shoot subsonic rounds. They will perform better and be more consistently quiet.