Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > After Research I'm also decided on this rifle...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default After Research I'm also decided on this rifle...

I've been shopping and searching and researching info on a rimfire rifle to purchase, and yes I actually searched many forums instead of just asking, so now I'm here 'tellin' of my searches for others to search in the future and feel free to comment because I'm not 100% yet but close. I'm still not sold on a autoloader; or do I get a bolt or lever action???... I have a bolt and a semi in other calibers but no lever.

My main priorities are:

1. Purchase Price (under $200)
2. Ammo Price
3. Accurate (out of the box)
3.1 Good Trigger
4. Reliable
5. Semi-Auto

I need a gun that I can actually afford to shoot and that my wife can learn on, as far as shooting accurate with and without scope, and isn't afraid of. And mostly for me and friends to sit on the acreage and shoot CHEAP accurate rounds, ie. good cheap fun.

2. I do really like the .17HMR but cost of ammo at .30 cents a round for plinking, and I would probably get the magnum anyway?

1. Purchase Price - this excluded the famous 10/22 since it needs upgraded. Sounds fun but I have other guns I need to upgrade if any of them get upgraded, and I'm just not the upgrading type, and I really don't want to be tooling on guns and blow myself up.

I looked at the Savage 64fxp and the Remington 597, both of which had several reports of having problems with jamming or extracting or such. I do own a Savage bolt action in .243, but not sold on their auto loader .22 yet. But could be?

I basically have it down to the Marlin 795 that sells here Rimfire Rifles; which is down the road and good prices.

I am open to all suggestions and not just in semi-auto or at just this store - as I will probably not be purchasing for 2-weeks or so and there are plenty of gunshops around with more choices.

but I am pretty sold on a .22 lr, and I have a revolver in .22 lr

I hear that the Marlin 60 has a heavy trigger, is this so with the 795 also?

'Thanks for reading and 'what do ya think?

Last edited by BorisTheBulletDodger; 09-12-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1908 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Marlin 60.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 09-13-2010, 03:13 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

"1. Purchase Price - this excluded the famous 10/22 since it needs upgraded. Sounds fun but I have other guns I need to upgrade if any of them get upgraded, and I'm just not the upgrading type, and I really don't want to be tooling on guns and blow myself up."

"Needs upgraded"? Why?

In any case, the 10/22 can be upgraded, if you really want to, a dime at a time . The others...not so much, to coin a phrase.

Regards,

Walt

Author, NEW! The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide, The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M14
and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and Owner's Guides
Certified Glock Armorer

Old 09-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #4

Sounds like you are well on your way to making a decision. The marlin 795 is a great gun, and IMO, the best deal going (i got mine for $108 after taxes and rebate). Yes, the trigger is rather heavy, but there are some easy, cheap (free) fixes available if you look around on here.

I own both a Marlin 795 and Ruger 10/22, and usually this is the advice I give about which one someone else should get:

Both guns are great out of the box. If you plan on leaving your gun as is, without buying much in the way of aftermarket parts, the 795 is an excellent deal. If you think in the future you might want the option of larger magazines, an array of stocks, or match grade barrels, you should consider the 10/22. Like I said, both are great out of the box, but you can't beat $100 for a great shooting autoloader!

Also: if you go with iron sights, on either of these guns, I would consider Tech-Sights to replace the factory sights. Both factory irons are pretty basic. (i have tech-sights on my 795, shoots <1 inch 5 shot groups at ~35 yards.)

Old 09-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I originally bought my 10/22 with the idea that I would rebuild it. By the time I got done, the only original Ruger part was the receiver, but it does shoot very nicely and the whole process was fun for me.

Ruger receiver
CDC bolt
Kidd trigger
Hogue stock
Weaver 2x7 rimfire scope

I took all the original parts, purchased a Ruger receiver, and rebuilt a factory stock gun.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Ruger 10/22 anyway. You don't have to upgrade it, but the chance will always be there.

Marlin 60 - No upgrades needed. Great little rifle, but you have to tube feed it alot.

Remington 597- Jamming is because of the older mags. There are no problems with the new ones. I dote on this .22 rifle more than the others. Mine it a tackdriver.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:39 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4510 Times on 2372 Posts
Likes Given: 258

i would go 10/22 the very base model in no way "needs" upgrading. its prolly the hands down most reliable fun and decently accurate rifle out of the box. i have a fully customized target 10/22 and a bare bones one. the base model hangs in there just fine with anyone i meet at the range shooting 22's. 10/22 is the best basic rifle for the 22lr.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i would go 10/22 the very base model in no way "needs" upgrading. its prolly the hands down most reliable fun and decently accurate rifle out of the box. i have a fully customized target 10/22 and a bare bones one. the base model hangs in there just fine with anyone i meet at the range shooting 22's. 10/22 is the best basic rifle for the 22lr.
What I said ...

Best regards,

Walt

Author, NEW! The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide, The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M14
and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and Owner's Guides
Certified Glock Armorer

Old 12-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default .22's

I own/owned numerous 10/22's plain carbines and mod 60's. both are right price at acade--. Less than $200, well 60 was $189 with tax and 10/22 was $207 with tax. I enjoy them for years. Shoot clean ammo and they'll be alot more enjoyable. Dirty ammo, you'll get tired of messing with it, or I did. Rather shoot cci or something burns good. Powder burn is more relevant than bullet jacket or no jacket is when it comes to fouling. Scope? Get a rimfire scope, get one for less than $20.00. You'll be happy and can be very accurate. 100yd-150yd bullseye shots will be nothing. Have fun.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #10

Liked 80 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Boris,
The choices are limitless. The only way to decide is to find someone who has the rifles you are looking at and shoot them, or go to a range that rents firearms and try them that way. Then buy the one that you feel comfortable with. If you just take someone's advise on which one is best, you may not end up with something you are happy with.

Jim........