Advice on a 22 for a new shooter - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Advice on a 22 for a new shooter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The Ruger 10/22 is the quintessential .22 LR rifle.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There's NO way you could go wrong with a ruger 10/22. They are reasonably priced,VERY reliable,american made,accurate enough to please any new shooter,extremely fun to shoot,have a dazzling array of aftermarket magazines,and are THE most modified/converted/blinged out/upgraded .22 rifles on the market by far for when you get ready to upgrade or are ready to step up to ultimate accuracy in a semiauto. The ONLY limit for upgrading these little rifles are your imagination and budget. I don't like henry due to the zinc reciever. If I was going to get a lever action it would be a marlin 39a or browning bl22-they are top of their class. As far as bolt action on a budget,it's hard to beat a marlin or savage.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:47 AM   #13

Well I got my new gun over the weekend. I was all set to go in for a 10/22 but ended up getting a deal on a Savage 64 semi-auto that came with a scope. It was darn near 100 buck less after you factor in the cost of the scope so I went with the savage. What can I say, in times like these I thought it best to save some money!

But truth be told I think I'm suffering a little buyers remorse. Hopefully that will go away when I take it to the range this weekend. Any thoughts on the Savage 64?

Thanks!

Old 10-16-2008, 11:36 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've done a lot of DIY gunsmithing on both of my Ruger 10/22 target models. I don't know much about the Savage 64. I would also imagine parts and accessories are cheaper and easier to find for the 10/22, and flush fit of the factory ten round magazines is also a plus for me as opposed to a clip that sticks down. It is what it is, and glad you found a good deal on the combo. Savage is know for good rifles at reasonable prices. I would buy any Savage bolt action without a doubt. I'm sure the rimfires follow along with the rest. Good luck with it. BTW...Brownell's would probably have reasonably priced magazines for it. I found 6 and 10 round magazines for my Remington model 511 through Brownell's for $7 and some change each.

Last edited by Ram Rod; 10-16-2008 at 11:38 AM.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I ran across this article in another forum here. It's about the model 64. Good reference for you since you have one.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7574

Old 10-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #16
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Tallguy130,Congrats on your new gun. Savage makes a vey good gun,and I have a Model 93GL 22WMR that I shoot all the time. I have never had any problems from it,but keep an eye on the magazine,and buy a couple extra ones in case you experience a problem with feeding,they aren't the best mags in the world. Have fun shooting,and let us know how you do with it. THB

Old 10-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #17

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
There's NO way you could go wrong with a ruger 10/22. They are reasonably priced,VERY reliable,american made,accurate enough to please any new shooter,extremely fun to shoot,have a dazzling array of aftermarket magazines,and are THE most modified/converted/blinged out/upgraded .22 rifles on the market by far for when you get ready to upgrade or are ready to step up to ultimate accuracy in a semiauto. The ONLY limit for upgrading these little rifles are your imagination and budget. I don't like henry due to the zinc reciever. If I was going to get a lever action it would be a marlin 39a or browning bl22-they are top of their class. As far as bolt action on a budget,it's hard to beat a marlin or savage.
Agree with everything but the candidate bolt gun. Consider the CZ 452.

Auto: 10/22 for all the above reasons.

Lever: Marlin 39A, preferably one made before the 39AS with rebounding hammer.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #18

Well at long last I was able to get out and shoot the new Savage. For the sake of this report let me say this is the first rifle I have ever owned and I've only been out shooting a rifle a hand full of times.

That said, I had a great time and was pleased with the gun overall. I made targets using paper plates with 1 inch pink highlighter dot on them. The land I was on has a sharp rise to it at one end with some thick bushes and I used that as the back stop for this makeshift range. I poped a hole in the top of the plate and hung them on the bushes about 5 to 6 feet high.

I got about 60 to 70 feet back and started shooting. After the first ten rounds the plate looked like it got hit with buckshot but my aim got steadily better as the morning went on. By the end I was able to get all ten rounds into a 5 inch group pretty consistently. May not sound like much but I was darn proud of myself!

As for the rifle, I don't know if I'm totally over my remorse at not getting a bolt gun but it preformed well, I guess, and eat all the cheap remington 22 ammo I fed it. For some reason the magazine release drove me nuts. They couldn't have made it any more difficult to work. A minor gripe I know, but its not like that on the rest of the Savage line so whats the deal with the 64?

Overall I had a great time and I want to thank everyone for their help in my search for a rifle. I definitely got the bug now!

Old 10-21-2008, 09:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy130 View Post
So I've really got the shooting bug and want to get a 22 rifle to add to my slowly growing collection. All I'm after is something for plinking and to learn basic rifle skills on. Nothing to fancy or expensive, just looking for a good time at the range.

I've been doing some research and asking around and I have my list down to four finalists.

Savage Mark II
Marlin Model 925
Ruger 10/22
Henry Lever Action Model H001

Before anyone says it, yes I know I'm all over the map with autoloading, bolt action, and lever action all in the final mix but this is why I'm coming to you for guidance. Any thoughts?
Don't worry about which one to buy. In time you will have them all.

Trust me on this.

Enjoy.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:54 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
I have the Marlin and the Henry - I have shot a 10/22 in stock configuration as well as one that was accurized. I never shot the Savage but they are good guns. I love the Marlin, but I can guarantee you that you will never buy a better .22 than the Henry. It is smooth as silk and has the BEST walnut stock that you will even see on a gun - any gun. The action is smoother and tighter than my Winchester and Marlin centerfire lever actions, and for the price of just over $200 it is a steal. The only objection I have is that the barrel band is made of plastic and not metal like the full sized lever guns. It is extremely accurate and never jams. I can hit a quarter at 75 yds all day long, and in fact was shooting the primers on live 12 ga. shotshells at 50 yds. for sh!ts and giggles.
If your taking about a factory stock I agree with you that tha Henry is very nice but as far as the the best walnut stock I would have to disagree. For a rimfire (specifically the Ruger 10/22) I think that S&K Stocks makes some that will blow away any other rimfire stock but they don't come cheap. My stock cost more then any one of the four rifles mentioned.