Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Advice on a 22 for a new shooter (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/advice-22-new-shooter-6820/)

tallguy130 09-06-2008 01:30 AM

Advice on a 22 for a new shooter

So I've really got the shooting bug and want to get a 22 rifle to add to my slowly growing collection. All I'm after is something for plinking and to learn basic rifle skills on. Nothing to fancy or expensive, just looking for a good time at the range.

I've been doing some research and asking around and I have my list down to four finalists.

Savage Mark II
Marlin Model 925
Ruger 10/22
Henry Lever Action Model H001

Before anyone says it, yes I know I'm all over the map with autoloading, bolt action, and lever action all in the final mix but this is why I'm coming to you for guidance. Any thoughts?

RL357Mag 09-06-2008 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallguy130 (Post 39374)
So I've really got the shooting bug and want to get a 22 rifle to add to my slowly growing collection. All I'm after is something for plinking and to learn basic rifle skills on. Nothing to fancy or expensive, just looking for a good time at the range.

I've been doing some research and asking around and I have my list down to four finalists.

Savage Mark II
Marlin Model 925
Ruger 10/22
Henry Lever Action Model H001

Before anyone says it, yes I know I'm all over the map with autoloading, bolt action, and lever action all in the final mix but this is why I'm coming to you for guidance. Any thoughts?

I have the Marlin and the Henry - I have shot a 10/22 in stock configuration as well as one that was accurized. I never shot the Savage but they are good guns. I love the Marlin, but I can guarantee you that you will never buy a better .22 than the Henry. It is smooth as silk and has the BEST walnut stock that you will even see on a gun - any gun. The action is smoother and tighter than my Winchester and Marlin centerfire lever actions, and for the price of just over $200 it is a steal. The only objection I have is that the barrel band is made of plastic and not metal like the full sized lever guns. It is extremely accurate and never jams. I can hit a quarter at 75 yds all day long, and in fact was shooting the primers on live 12 ga. shotshells at 50 yds. for sh!ts and giggles.

ScottG 09-06-2008 02:58 AM

Get the Henry.

dragunovsks 09-06-2008 02:15 PM

I would go with the bolt gun, they're usaully more accurate than semi-auto rifles. Although I also like the Henry.

RL357Mag 09-06-2008 04:06 PM

WIth a cheap BSA 2-7x scope, my Henry is just as accurate if not MORE accurate than my Marlin, Mossberg, Taurus Mod.63, and Win. Mod512.

flbandit 09-06-2008 11:10 PM

I have an older Marlin that I picked up cheap at a Gunshow. I love it. I don't see how you could go wrong with a Marlin.

dragunovsks 09-07-2008 06:08 AM

My father-in-law has an older Marlin .22 LR rifle that is bolt-action and stores it's rounds in a mag tube like a shotgun.

cpttango30 09-07-2008 04:42 PM

If you are wanting to get one for low cost. I would getan older Mossberg the 151 or 152 or something along that line. You can find them for less that $200 and with $5 in supplys the stocks on 99% of them can be made to look like a finely figured stock you would expect to find on a $15,000 African rifle. Look on gun broker for Mossberg 22lr.

For a nice bolt gun today I would go with the CZ 452 or 453 American or Varmint. with a decent 4-12 or 4-16x scope on top.

Joe M 09-21-2008 06:18 PM

It's not on your list, but I'm going to push the Savage Mark IG single shot bolt action rifle. With a 3-7x20 scope this rifle is a tac driver off the bench.

I've always been fond of single shot rifles. The shooting pace is a bit slower and I enjoy a slower pace. That probably comes from me shooting my old traditional muzzleloading rifles and pistols the past 35 years. When I was younger I did enjoy the semi-auto .22's...:)

headhunter 10-04-2008 07:33 PM

Purchased a Marlin 880 for the eldest daughter, an adult sized tack driver! The younger daughter received a Ruger 77-22. I was so impressed I bought myself one too. It was the grandson's turn and grandpa and grandma found him a Henry youth lever. It's really smooth and the young fella keeps it on a 2" swing target at forty yards as long as he can use a sandbag to help him with the weight. There are many super choices.