Accurizing my Rem 597 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

Accurizing my Rem 597


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tomgodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VineGrove,Kentucky
Posts: 1,241
Liked 380 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Great thread! I have a 597 and would love to hear about your results.
tomgodd is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:19 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 6,262
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I read on rimfire central that a guy needs to polish the guide rods. Along with all the directions on how to do so, it was a pretty easy 30 minute job. Those springs were tricky to get back in at first, but this is supposed to help to make the action smoother.

Re-installing the 597 Guide Rods for new/future 597 owners. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Hopefully, my volquartsen hammer will be here soon and I'll do the install with pics.

I'm pretty satisfied with the remington extractor right now, so I didn't get a vq one yet. It hasn't had any problems extracting the casings, but if it does it will not be replaced with a factory one.
Gojubrian is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 6,262
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Here's the 597

Accurizing my Rem 597 - .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion

Accurizing my Rem 597 - .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion

Taken down.

Accurizing my Rem 597 - .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion
Gojubrian is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 6,262
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

out with the old, in with the new

Accurizing my Rem 597 - .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion

The new VQ is in. That was pretty easy.

Accurizing my Rem 597 - .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion

I can't believe how much lighter the trigger is!! I hope I can get to the range this weekend for some hole punching.
Gojubrian is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:19 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 6,262
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I was able to tighten up my groups quite a bit! Did really well with CCI mini-mags and stingers. The bulk ammo did as expected, but it will get a squirrel at 50yrds no doubt.

Sorry, no target pictures.

If you have a 597, get the VQ hammer and it's an easy install,well worth it.

Gojubrian is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mosin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,550
Liked 4701 Times on 2344 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Default

Good info! I just sighted in my scope. All I've done is the polish job, and free floated the barrel along with polishing the crown. I'm getting decent groups within one inch at about 100 yards (more like 80), but out of every 10 rounds I get 3 fliers which are so off the mark, I know it's not me doing it. I'm shooting CCI minimags, so I don't know what's causing this. Any advice?
Mosin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 6,262
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Good info! I just sighted in my scope. All I've done is the polish job, and free floated the barrel along with polishing the crown. I'm getting decent groups within one inch at about 100 yards (more like 80), but out of every 10 rounds I get 3 fliers which are so off the mark, I know it's not me doing it. I'm shooting CCI minimags, so I don't know what's causing this. Any advice?
Hmmmm....floating the barrel. I didn't think of doing that. Is that doable with what I have? Would it help improve accuracy?
Gojubrian is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:43 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mosin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,550
Liked 4701 Times on 2344 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Hmmmm....floating the barrel. I didn't think of doing that. Is that doable with what I have? Would it help improve accuracy?
To be honest with you I personally do not know. I shot that gun then threw it in a closet for years and years. Recently (ammo prices) have got me re-interested in my .22, so I wanted to see what I could get out of her. I did some research and heard a lot of guys say that it worked wonders. I busted out the dremel and free floated the CRAP out of it, forget a dollar, you could easily fit 5 between my barrel and stock. Today I shot CCI stinger, Remington, Federal and subsonics through her and was putting bullets through the same hole at 100 feet. My trigger is still too heavy though.
Mosin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:52 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 6,262
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
To be honest with you I personally do not know. I shot that gun then threw it in a closet for years and years. Recently (ammo prices) have got me re-interested in my .22, so I wanted to see what I could get out of her. I did some research and heard a lot of guys say that it worked wonders. I busted out the dremel and free floated the CRAP out of it, forget a dollar, you could easily fit 5 between my barrel and stock. Today I shot CCI stinger, Remington, Federal and subsonics through her and was putting bullets through the same hole at 100 feet. My trigger is still too heavy though.
Ok thanks. The VQ hammer works wonders for the trigger.
Gojubrian is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tomgodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VineGrove,Kentucky
Posts: 1,241
Liked 380 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Is there a good how to float a barrel anywhere? I am curious in trying this. Is it possible with synthetic stocks or just wood? I know nothing about it.
tomgodd is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
TIPS ON ACCURIZING THE MINI-14, Part Two masterPsmith Mini-14 Forum 5 11-10-2013 02:54 PM
Accurizing the mini14 slowryde45 Mini-14 Forum 21 02-04-2012 10:09 PM
TIPS ON ACCURIZING THE MINI-14, Part Three masterPsmith Mini-14 Forum 4 11-27-2011 11:07 PM
TIPS ON ACCURIZING THE MINI-14, Part One masterPsmith Mini-14 Forum 1 02-03-2011 02:50 PM
Accurizing the standard AK rifle Route 66 Rambler AK & SKS Discussion 22 10-20-2009 11:38 PM



Newest Threads