Accurizing my Rem 597
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Accurizing my Rem 597

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 04:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Accurizing my Rem 597

I'm going to accurize my hunting .22 before next season. It has a good trigger for an out of the box sub $200 rifle already, but I would like to shoot tighter groups and be on target at longer range without spending more than the rifle is worth.

I have done some reading and here's my plan thus far. It is a stock remington 597 with a synthetic camoflage stock to begin with.

1. Replace the hammer with the volquartzen hammer $45
2. Replace the extractor with VQ extractor. $20
3. Shoot only premium ammo (cci mini mags or better)
4. ????

Will this help? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-09-2010, 03:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I'm going to accurize my hunting .22 before next season. It has a good trigger for an out of the box sub $200 rifle already, but I would like to shoot tighter groups and be on target at longer range without spending more than the rifle is worth.

I have done some reading and here's my plan thus far. It is a stock remington 597 with a synthetic camoflage stock to begin with.

1. Replace the hammer with the volquartzen hammer $45
2. Replace the extractor with VQ extractor. $20
3. Shoot only premium ammo (cci mini mags or better)
4. ????

Will this help? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
You bet it will! I did that stuff to my 597 along with a little polishing on the bolt rails (remember to only tighten the rails finger tight)& trigger groupe. I have found mine to like that Winchester 333 ammo the best. It seems that .22's are a little touchey in their choice of ammo. I only picked up on the .22 shooting again a few years ago. When I was younger, my Remmy 522 Speedmaster would shoot anything I fed it with good results. I wonder what happend? Has .22 ammo changed that much in the last 30 or so years?

If you're riding' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it's still there.

Will Rogers

Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #3

Go to RimfireCentral.com. Scroll down to the Remington Forum, then the 597 subforum, and you'll find enough information about what to/how to, do to, the 597 than you can shake a stick at.

John 3:16 (NKJV)

Old 04-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
Go to RimfireCentral.com. Scroll down to the Remington Forum, then the 597 subforum, and you'll find enough information about what to/how to, do to, the 597 than you can shake a stick at.
CB has the right idea. The 597 guys there are crazy about the platform. Don't try to reinvent the wheel just do what they did and have a great shootin little gun.

How about some before and after groups.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:18 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
CB has the right idea. The 597 guys there are crazy about the platform. Don't try to reinvent the wheel just do what they did and have a great shootin little gun.

How about some before and after groups.
Great idea, thanks! I'll work on that too.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:34 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

FINALLY got the volquartsen hammer here. Midway has been out of stock for months.

As soon as I can get to the range I'll update this thread.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:56 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I'm drooling over this thread...

I loves my 597 and it is the wife's favorite. I would like to get 2 more so we each have one. Let me know how it goes, Brian.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-13-2010, 05:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
I'm drooling over this thread...

I loves my 597 and it is the wife's favorite. I would like to get 2 more so we each have one. Let me know how it goes, Brian.

Good idea. Then you will have a spare!

If you're riding' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it's still there.

Will Rogers

Old 07-13-2010, 06:48 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks. The 597 has been my favorite .22 plinker. Stock fits and feels good (synthetic woodland camo), the trigger isn't bad at all, and with a $40 scope I have a great squirrel getter and plinker for a little over $200.

I also bought a rifle ammo sleeve that fits the buttstock. With a little magic I converted it to be able to hold 3 extra ten rd mags.

I'll take some pictures and get them up soon.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Cool. Keep us in the loop. People who own them seem to love the 597.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams