About the Speed Strip Kit for Ruger Pistols:
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > About the Speed Strip Kit for Ruger Pistols:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1425

Default About the Speed Strip Kit for Ruger Pistols:

I just cleaned my Ruger MkII for the first time this afternoon. It only took me three or four days to get the mainspring back in.

About the Speed Strip Kit for Ruger Pistols:
It looks good. What’s not clear to me is from the video is;
Does one still have to remove the mainspring to remove the barrel from the lower?
Is a mallet still needed for that?
Can the trigger weight stay the same as stock?

Majestic Arms says it can be done by anybody with ordinary hand tools. How are the threads cut in the barrel? Is a tapping the threads that easy to do?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Can't answer your question about the kit. But once you get the hang of reassembling the Mark pistol you won't need it.

When you are having that issue where, when you close the mainspring housing assembly (MHA), it pulls back out, that means that the hammer is not all the way forward. Take a Q-tip or some other tool and just push the hammer forward all the way. The MHA will then insert into the grip properly. Not having the hammer all the way forward is the most common reassembly error for new Mark owners. Yes, it took me an evening of fiddling to get it all figured out the first time. But now my Mark pistols are among the easiest of my pistols to clean and reassemble.

By the way the other common error in reassembling a Mark pistol occurs when, after re-inserting the MHA, the pistol will not rack. This means that the hammer strut is out of place. Very easy to correct. Simply swing the MHA out (but don't pull it out), point the barrel upwards, and give it a nice firm tap with a nylon or rubber mallet on the tip of the barrel. You will hear a click, which is the hammer strut falling into the correct position. Then close the MHA. The last little bit of closing the MHA should have you feeling some spring tension. That means that the hammer strut is in the correct position and all is well. The slide will now rack and the pistol is properly assembled.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6625 Times on 3691 Posts
Likes Given: 6299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg View Post
Can't answer your question about the kit. But once you get the hang of reassembling the Mark pistol you won't need it.

When you are having that issue where, when you close the mainspring housing assembly (MHA), it pulls back out, that means that the hammer is not all the way forward. Take a Q-tip or some other tool and just push the hammer forward all the way. The MHA will then insert into the grip properly. Not having the hammer all the way forward is the most common reassembly error for new Mark owners. Yes, it took me an evening of fiddling to get it all figured out the first time. But now my Mark pistols are among the easiest of my pistols to clean and reassemble.

By the way the other common error in reassembling a Mark pistol occurs when, after re-inserting the MHA, the pistol will not rack. This means that the hammer strut is out of place. Very easy to correct. Simply swing the MHA out (but don't pull it out), point the barrel upwards, and give it a nice firm tap with a nylon or rubber mallet on the tip of the barrel. You will hear a click, which is the hammer strut falling into the correct position. Then close the MHA. The last little bit of closing the MHA should have you feeling some spring tension. That means that the hammer strut is in the correct position and all is well. The slide will now rack and the pistol is properly assembled.
Just buy a Brownng and avoid all that krap!

Old 05-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've installed plenty of the kits - they work well, won't change the trigger pull, and are quite durable. If you hate reassembling your Ruger, get this kit and you'll be happy.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3100 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
But once you get the hang of reassembling the Mark pistol you won't need it.
+1

Get it right a few times and it's a non-problem.
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 05-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #6

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg View Post
. . . Take a Q-tip or some other tool and just push the hammer forward all the way. The MHA will then insert into the grip properly. Not having the hammer all the way forward is the most common reassembly error for new Mark owners. Yes, it took me an evening of fiddling to get it all figured out the first time. . .
Yes, I read that too. The problem was the hammer wouldn't go forward for nothing, period. It turned out the magazine had to be installed to get the hammer to go forward. Maybe that's standard firearm reassembly procedure. I don't know. It sure seemed counter-intuitive to me.

So I've got it figured out now. Still, I'd rather not have to carry a mallet in my bag. Also the pistol feels a lot better in my hand with a rubber sleeve on the grip. It's almost as much of a pain to take the sleeve off and put it back on as dealing with the main spring. So if there's a work-a-round the stock bolt pin I'm interested.

I've never cut threads before. Is it tricky to get the threads cut right?

Last edited by Vincine; 05-13-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Yes, I read that too. The problem was the hammer wouldn't go forward for nothing, period. It turned out the magazine had to be installed to get the hammer to go forward. Maybe that's standard firearm reassembly procedure. I don't know. It sure seemed counter-intuitive to me.

So I've got it figured out now. Still, I'd rather not have to carry a mallet in my bag. Also the pistol feels a lot better in my hand with a rubber sleeve on the grip. It's almost as much of a pain to take the sleeve off and put it back on as dealing with the main spring. So if there's a work-a-round the stock bolt pin I'm interested.

I've never cut threads before. Is it tricky to get the threads cut right?
It is actually intuitive in a way about the magazine -- the gun has a magazine safety if it is a Mark III and the hammer will not go down without a magazine inserted.
Glad you have it figured out now.