Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 525 rounds for $70?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2350 Times on 1528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davva360
I saw a box of 525 Remington 22 Golden Bullet for $249. I have a box I paid about $17 for last September.

As I said in other threads. Until people stop buying at these ridiculous prices and stop hoarding every single round they can pick up the high prices will continue. I wont pay over the top prices even though it has meant drastically reducing the amount I shoot.
That is gouging. Period.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 03-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #62

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford101 View Post
Sorry, you're right, gouging was when people were selling cases of water for 30 dollars during Katrina. I guess I should've said "raised prices".
Prices are a mechanism for allocating resources. During Katrina, fresh water was unavailable over a broad geographic area. The high demand and short supply elevated prices, reflecting the increased cost of bringing the water to market. The increased price incentivized people to go out of their way to bring fresh water from afar to people who would have otherwise died of dehydration. That is a huge success if you ask me. Please. Tell me how else you would organize thousands of people from all over into such an effort. I'm all ears.

This does nothing for the people stranded on top of their homes, but free water even just 5 miles away isn't exactly helping them either.

If all you do is look at the base unit price, then I'd advise you never go into business.

ECON 101 guys.

In ECON 102, we'll discuss how barriers of entry to the market (AKA government regulations) force out competition and allow for pseudo monopoly which then allows for true gouging, as in the american oil industry.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 03-19-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:44 AM   #63

SOG Armory in Houston at BW8 and 59 on the SW side had 550 rd bricks for $139.95. I was astonished. I don't care about supply and demand, that is ridiculous.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:28 AM   #64

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I want to witch to archery.
Cost of arrows is expensive but I can to reuse them.

Going to get a conceal carry permit.

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 03-20-2013, 01:30 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves View Post
I want to witch to archery.
Cost of arrows is expensive but I can to reuse them.

Going to get a conceal carry permit.
Dont count on reusing arrows. Consider them disposable if you're hunting deer. Bone can and will destroy your broadhead, and shafts frequently break. Less of a concern when target shooting, but there is still a cost to shoot. More realistically, you should learn to make your own arrows from nothing.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 03-20-2013, 01:41 AM   #66

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I worked the gun show on the 17th I talked to a dealer the told saturday he was at a gun show in Indiana and a 525 pack of 22 lr went for$125.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:41 AM   #67
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
Prices are a mechanism for allocating resources. During Katrina, fresh water was unavailable over a broad geographic area. The high demand and short supply elevated prices, reflecting the increased cost of bringing the water to market. The increased price incentivized people to go out of their way to bring fresh water from afar to people who would have otherwise died of dehydration. That is a huge success if you ask me. Please. Tell me how else you would organize thousands of people from all over into such an effort. I'm all ears.

This does nothing for the people stranded on top of their homes, but free water even just 5 miles away isn't exactly helping them either.

If all you do is look at the base unit price, then I'd advise you never go into business.

ECON 101 guys.

In ECON 102, we'll discuss how barriers of entry to the market (AKA government regulations) force out competition and allow for pseudo monopoly which then allows for true gouging, as in the american oil industry.
You are right, it is Econ 101 stuff. However, in that same class you would learn that price gouging in many ways is more harmful to a business than a short term profit could ever be beneficial......and during a disaster price gouging would lead to legal troubles if the people decided to pursue legal action. These actions, while rare, have occurred in the past in areas where hurricanes have devastated coastal areas and vendors tried to take advantage as such. They get slapped with fines that far surpass the extra few bucks profit turned by taking advantage of consumers with little other choice. All of that is really irrelevant if the consumers are pissed off enough to spread the word which leads to a downward trend in future sales which could, in capitalistic theory, lead to losses that would shutter the business. In Lehman's terms, don't bite the hand that feeds.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 03-20-2013, 02:52 AM   #68

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpears471 View Post
I worked the gun show on the 17th I talked to a dealer the told saturday he was at a gun show in Indiana and a 525 pack of 22 lr went for$125.
Can u tell the story?

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 03-20-2013, 03:14 AM   #69

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I don't see this ending anytime soon. It's not about companies being not able to produce. It's about government ordering billions of rounds. Government contracts are filled first. This ammo crazy is being caused by the government, not the new gun owners going out and buying ammo. As long as the gov has their sticky hands in things its going to stay the same.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:47 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
You are right, it is Econ 101 stuff. However, in that same class you would learn that price gouging in many ways is more harmful to a business than a short term profit could ever be beneficial......and during a disaster price gouging would lead to legal troubles if the people decided to pursue legal action. These actions, while rare, have occurred in the past in areas where hurricanes have devastated coastal areas and vendors tried to take advantage as such. They get slapped with fines that far surpass the extra few bucks profit turned by taking advantage of consumers with little other choice. All of that is really irrelevant if the consumers are pissed off enough to spread the word which leads to a downward trend in future sales which could, in capitalistic theory, lead to losses that would shutter the business. In Lehman's terms, don't bite the hand that feeds.
That's probably why ammo prices are still low enough to where the shelves are bare. More evidence to show prices are not "gouging". I'd also maintain that a court has no business with such interference.

Terry V Ohio Commentary