Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 5 m/m

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default 5 m/m

We had a conversation about the 5m/m but I can't find it. For thoes of you that have an interest in the 5 m/m Remington discontinued in the early 80's.
The new ammo is 30gr as opposed to the 45 gr orginal. My shooting friend actually put down an antilope with the old one. I hit a prarrie dog at about 25 yards and I'm sure it killed him it did not hit him hard enough to keep him above ground. Later I had my granddaughter shoot one that was about 10 yards away. It was evident that he was hit hard but not hard enough to keep him on top of the ground. I think the 5mm is a good gopher gun now with the lighter ammo.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #2

Liked 663 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 668

Some expensive stuff!!
Aguila 5MM Remington Rimfire Magnum 30gr JHP 50/Box - Natchez Shooters Supplies
Ammo 5mm Remington Mag 30 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #3

I'm using the Century ammo. The problem is Remington has no intention of reproducing the 2 models they put out. When I talk to H & R or New England Firearms I put the bug in their ear but so far they haven't shown much interest so You will pay a handsome price for the ones on deck now if you plan to shoot it.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8310 Times on 3592 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

J- that price, while high, is less than half what the orignal has been selling for- WHEN you could find it.

The 5mm was a peppy little rascal- slower than the .17 HMR, but more energy due to heavier bullet. Would be surprised to see it make a big comeback- it was just in limbo for too long. But shooters will really appreciate the Aguilla ammo.

Now, if they would just roll out some .25 Stevens, and some .32 RF, and some .41 RF..........

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #5

Just like the .22WRF while it was down they brought out the .22 Magnum so thar run of .22WRF is still sitting around in some places.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #6

Liked 663 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 668

C3, it would be quite useful in rimfire only areas, like where I live. Is it close to the .22 Hornet?

I know where there is an un-molested Vettereli in .41 rimfire. Tell me that would not give F&G fits at the weigh station! Our law states centerfire rifle is a no-no around here.
Imagine that 313gr bullet at 1400fps. crazy.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 01-17-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #7

I got a 591 5mm about 2 years ago. The little Guy was in great shape and I only had $10.00 in what I traded for it. I know those deals don't come along but abt once in a lifetime, anyway I had no intention on selling it. But... a Guy severa hours south saw I had it from another fourm and ask if I wanted to sell it I said not really long story short 100 text messages later he had it and I had a Savage 10 270WSM + Marlin 917v 17 + Boyd's thumbhole stock for the 917V + Bushnell E. 3200. Do y'all think this was a good trade? Also I never shot "more than a box and a half" and he really wanted one so he will get lots of enjoyment from it. That means a lot to me.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #8

I know there are some of them in closets becasue the owner has no ammo unless they are willing to pay upwards of 50 dollars a box: But that would take all the fun out of shooting. In a small town east of here I know the local barber had one and put it away when he ran out of ammo and then died. None of his kids seem to remember where he put it.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8310 Times on 3592 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Sounds like a VERY good trade. Any trade that both parties are happy is a good trade.

J- REALLY want to drive the Perch Police nutz? I have a couple of rounds of EARLY 45-70. They are inside primed (Benet primer)- and although centerfire, LOOK like rimfires.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.