4-H 22lr class
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 4-H 22lr class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 03:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 4-H 22lr class

It seems the number of people interested in guns, especially the younger generation is growning. I've been teaching a 4-H shooting sports class for a few weeks now, whenever the weather permits that is. I teach 10-19 year olds how to shoot 22lr rifles. Currently I have 5 kids, I started with two in the middle of last month. Today one of the parents shows up and I reocgnize him as one of the local FFLs and his son is ripping the x ring out of the targets at 33 yards. Impressed with the improvement the man, Luke, asks me about competition and what kind of gun the kids might need and what the requirements are to compete. I simply said "Whatever they are most comfortable with". The dad asks his son and the other kids what they like best, with the expection of my best student (who favors a bolt gun), they all respond "The Ruger 10/22" as one of them holds it up for his dad to inspect. I'd been bringing this particular rifle because we only had 2 rifles for 5 students, one a bolt action Savage and the other my Ruger 10/22.
I told him the students already had the right idea for the best rifle and why such as it is fairly low maintenance being the stainless steel and synthetic stock version, not to mention easy to expand and tailor to individual goals.
He simply asked how many we needed. "Five's a good start." the 4-H shotgun instructor who was watching said. "They'll be ready for you by this next Sunday." was the simple and generous response from Luke.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2011, 03:15 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Very nice.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-14-2011, 04:12 AM   #3

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

that is FAN-TASTIC! gett'm started right! GOOD DEAL!

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 02-14-2011, 04:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
I teach 10-19 year olds how to shoot 22lr rifles.
Very cool! A little side question. . . Do you find that the length of pull on the 10/22 is comfortable for some of your smaller kids?

Old 02-14-2011, 04:35 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

MasterPsmith customized a 10/22 for his grandson. it's in the threads here somewhere.

Sorry for the hijack.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-14-2011, 04:38 AM   #6

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

An oustandingly generous jesture!! Much Respect!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:43 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlindixie View Post
Very cool! A little side question. . . Do you find that the length of pull on the 10/22 is comfortable for some of your smaller kids?
No, most of them have a good purchase on the gun. I only have one who has trouble with getting a good grip on the gun, but he is fairly small for his age, thankfully he is only interested in bench-rest style shooting which he is getting better at. Hopefully with a new 10/22 and a 6x scope he'll start really driving nails.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well an update on the 4-Hers is they got a rare chance to shoot something larger than a 22lr and in 3-round burst. A fellow gun-enthusiast had a full-auto H&K MP5 on the other end of the rifle range line and you can imagine the two that showed up to class could barely concentrate while a full-auto 9mm was going off. So I walked them over to watch for a moment while the fellow practiced and not too long after we returned to the rifles he came over and offered the kids a chance to shoot it.
Of course I filmed it as they may never get the chance to try a gun that expensive for a very long time.

Last edited by Ruzai; 03-12-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5671 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
Well an update on the 4-Hers is they got a rare chance to shoot something larger than a 22lr and in 3-round burst. A fellow gun-enthusiast had a full-auto H&K MP5 on the other end of the rifle range line and you can imagine the two that showed up to class could barely concentrate while a full-auto 9mm was going off. So I walked them over to watch for a moment while the fellow practiced and not too long after we returned to the rifles he came over and offered the kids a chance to shoot it.
Of course I filmed it as they may never get the chance to try a gun that expensive for a very long time.

YouTube - MP5 3-Round Burst
thats totally awesome. i like how he took the time to make sure they were comfy with the recoil before going auto.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just an update on the 4-H boys and their regional competition.
I had one make 4th, 8th, and 14th out of 15 picks that go to state.
The one that made 14th is a special education student with an IEP (504 plan) and has made significant improvement both safety and shooting wise.
Unfortunately I wont be able to go with them to state but my 4th place shooter's father is a fellow teacher so they'll have someone to look to if they need help.

We're thinking of getting the boys peep sights from Tech-Sights, but we arent sure. I could actually use some feedback on peep sights vs notch and post (pistol style) sights.