Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Is the .22mag going away?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Is the .22mag going away?

This topic may have been covered in another post so I apologize if its redundant....

Finding a .22mag gun these days seems to be getting tougher and tougher. The .17HMR seems to be more prevelant and I am seeing a migration back to the .22LR. Are you guys seeing the same thing?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
Deader Bears=Better Bears

Liked 5617 Times on 3303 Posts
Likes Given: 4695

I think i remember seeing an announcement of a new .22 WMR pistol by KelTec or somebody fairly recently. http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/pmr-30/

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Last edited by orangello; 09-09-2010 at 09:49 PM.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, the Kel-Tec PMR30 has been released in it's first issue. I figure after they get any initial bugs out, it'll be popular and will spark renewed interest in .22 mag. It'd be nice if the ammo came down some in price.

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 09-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike View Post
This topic may have been covered in another post so I apologize if its redundant....

Finding a .22mag gun these days seems to be getting tougher and tougher. The .17HMR seems to be more prevelant and I am seeing a migration back to the .22LR. Are you guys seeing the same thing?
Excel has come out with both a 17 hmr & a 22 Mag auto pistol in the last couple of years, even S&W continues to produce a DA revolver in 22 Mag, & Taurus, Charter Arms & Ruger make several models in that caliber, so it's out there...

Old 09-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
Yes, the Kel-Tec PMR30 has been released in it's first issue. I figure after they get any initial bugs out, it'll be popular and will spark renewed interest in .22 mag. It'd be nice if the ammo came down some in price.
Unlikely that the price is gonna come down, if re-newed interest in that ammo is shown... I'm afraid the price will go higher

Last edited by billdeserthills; 09-09-2010 at 10:19 PM.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:42 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well, I've really never given the 22mag much thought until recently. I tend to keep myself updated on most of the industry, the ammo, and what's available. I still see the ammo on the shelves, and the rifles in the racks, and still talk about the 22mag on the forums. Gravitation of the market, or preference really isn't much of a factor in my opinion. What i think is that the 22mag is something you pretty much started with, has a decent following, but somewhat narrow in application. Something as old as the 22mag will never go away. It may see more shade than sun these days. Thing is, cost of ammo. New calibers seemed to have sprung up almost overnight in the past few years. Lots of them in centerfire as well. Thing is...they're finding a niche somehow, and mainly because of the marketing and the 'got to have what's new' and what's hot mentality. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers nor elicit arguments. It's just the way I see the industry and market over being involved in it for over 20 years. I don't know of many cartridges that have become totally obsolete. Granted, some may be hard to find and at premium prices (why reloading pays off for centerfire). As far as the rimfires, the tried and true will always be alive and well. Who cares what a 17HMR can do if you already have a 22mag? Why get into the cost of a new rifle and new ammo? Ruger puts out some of the best rifles in my opinion for the 22 caliber. There should be plenty available in the 22mag. If it seems more difficult to find a 22mag rifle where you are, then maybe it's the local market. Wal Mart has them here. Gun shops have them here. You might very well find a jewel in a local pawn shop these days. Well, anyway...back to why I'd been seriously thinking of the 22mag recently.........my wife has this H.Schmidt model 21 SA revolver that I just finished fixing. I have learned that some models had an interchangeable barrel/cylinder since I ordered the parts through Numrich, and then went on to look it all up on the internet. I'd really like to have the capability of the 22mag with this revolver. Even thought the 22lr may be the most economical choice these days, some of us still have the need to diversify for certain reasons. Your 22mag is out there, I'll almost guarantee it.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:49 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I hear you about the price... Some people have suggested that a little higher-performance .22 magnum round could be developed... I'm predicting MORE interest in it in the future, not less... Perhaps 5.7X28mm also. A nice smaller/cheaper pistol similar to the FNH 5.7 could become popular among people who are recoil-sensitive. There's a new market of first-time CCW buyers out there... (The LCP is nearing 500,000 sold in about 2 1/2 years)... so there's incentive for development of light easy-carry user-friendly pistols. I might have gotten a little off-track here since now I realize this is a rimfire rifle string but it's relevent anyhow... Point is, I agree that .22 magnum ain't goin' away!

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Last edited by Alchemist; 09-09-2010 at 11:01 PM.