Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22LR rim lock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 05:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default .22LR rim lock?

Alright, I know I've made a few posts today and already made a thread, but hey I like the site haha

I know it's not very likely to happen at all, but I was thinking about this. If the 7.62x54R and other rimmed cartridges can get rim lock if improperly loaded, what's the chances of a .22 or a .17HMR suffer from that same issue?

Reason I ask is I was thinking of different types of jams and how you'd go about cleaning them and since those are both rim fires with a small rim, I can't help but ask, has anyone ever had that happen to them?

Weird question I know.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2011, 05:15 AM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default rim Lock

I assume you are talking of a .22 LR locking in the chamber because the rim swelled up and the extractor could not pull the case out. The only time I had something like that happen was when a burr on the chamber(in the rim area) locked the case in the chamber. I have had cases fail to extract when the chamber was dirty or rusty and the extractor just pulled over the rim.
But remember that the 22 Rim fire is the only one of the cartidges you mentioned that has a hollow rim. All the other have a solid rim. For a solid rim cartridge to lock up would take a tremendous over load and the brass to flow back into the extractor groove. That might well be the last shot that rifle ever does.

Also while it is possible to over load a solid rimmed rifle cartridge it is impossible to do the same to a .22 rim fire.

Sarge

If a man strikes you on the cheek
Being a Christian the only thing you can do
Is to help him up off the ground.
Sarge

Old 12-26-2011, 05:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge_257
I assume you are talking of a .22 LR locking in the chamber because the rim swelled up and the extractor could not pull the case out. The only time I had something like that happen was when a burr on the chamber(in the rim area) locked the case in the chamber. I have had cases fail to extract when the chamber was dirty or rusty and the extractor just pulled over the rim.
But remember that the 22 Rim fire is the only one of the cartidges you mentioned that has a hollow rim. All the other have a solid rim. For a solid rim cartridge to lock up would take a tremendous over load and the brass to flow back into the extractor groove. That might well be the last shot that rifle ever does.

Also while it is possible to over load a solid rimmed rifle cartridge it is impossible to do the same to a .22 rim fire.

Sarge
I never thought of it that way Sarge.

But I was referring to how if you don't load the magazine for a rifle like the Mosin properly and have the first round in the magazines rim behind the of the second you get a jam and can't oust the bolt forwards.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8411 Times on 3645 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Rim of .22 is much smaller than the rim on a 7.62 x 54R (and .303s have the same endearing quality as the 7.62- rim getting caught on another rim) AND the 22 rim has rounded profile due to the folded case head.

.22 rimfire, one rim can slip over the other with little force.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 12-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Rim of .22 is much smaller than the rim on a 7.62 x 54R (and .303s have the same endearing quality as the 7.62- rim getting caught on another rim) AND the 22 rim has rounded profile due to the folded case head.

.22 rimfire, one rim can slip over the other with little force.
Damn C3, glad to see I'm not the only on who's still up at this hour. But I know the two rounds aren't the same, it was just the best that I could think as a comparison.

But I actually sat here and tried to load the magazine for my 702 so that one rim was behind the other and let's just say it is t easy.
So if you manage to do it by mistake, wow. That's all I can say.