Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22LR AR-15s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

One thing to consider is a 22lr upper for an existing 5.56 AR. they usually are easy to add rails and the like. the down side they are same, as and sometimes more, $$ than one of the current dedicated 22lr's.

As stated above, go to a LGS or gun show and handle a few different manufacturer's dedicated 22lr's.

I have a colt M4ops by Umarex, it came with rails that had the round covers. I pulled the front sight post and put on a picatinny gas block that still had the bayonet lugs. now i can add flip up front sights, same with back, use a scope, clip a laser or light to the side rails, have a T handle for the front, or a bipod for the bayonet lug or picatinny bottom. it is mostly metal like an 5.56 and a blast to shoot in the field

now all of that said, it has its own peculiarities and they may not be for you. I bought it because i saw it on the display, picked it up and liked the heft and feel of it. the barrel is a tube in a shroud, the inards are nothing like a true AR, the magazines (30rd) are too tall for a shooting bench without at least a 6" block or sandbags, the collapsible stock feels light to me. the original front sight was too short and was replaced by RMA, and the front post was canted by a degree or two. the rifle will not load the older REM GOLD or Blazer rounds but it loves federal bulk.

Ok I guess i made my point. but, like stated, handle them and see what others are describing.

as for parts.... any bolt on AR part should fit a 22lr-AR

Old 03-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyjoe_99
One thing to consider is a 22lr upper for an existing 5.56 AR. they usually are easy to add rails and the like. the down side they are same, as and sometimes more, $$ than one of the current dedicated 22lr's.

As stated above, go to a LGS or gun show and handle a few different manufacturer's dedicated 22lr's.

I have a colt M4ops by Umarex, it came with rails that had the round covers. I pulled the front sight post and put on a picatinny gas block that still had the bayonet lugs. now i can add flip up front sights, same with back, use a scope, clip a laser or light to the side rails, have a T handle for the front, or a bipod for the bayonet lug or picatinny bottom. it is mostly metal like an 5.56 and a blast to shoot in the field

now all of that said, it has its own peculiarities and they may not be for you. I bought it because i saw it on the display, picked it up and liked the heft and feel of it. the barrel is a tube in a shroud, the inards are nothing like a true AR, the magazines (30rd) are too tall for a shooting bench without at least a 6" block or sandbags, the collapsible stock feels light to me. the original front sight was too short and was replaced by RMA, and the front post was canted by a degree or two. the rifle will not load the older REM GOLD or Blazer rounds but it loves federal bulk.

Ok I guess i made my point. but, like stated, handle them and see what others are describing.

as for parts.... any bolt on AR part should fit a 22lr-AR
Awesome! Thanks alot. I think you just helped me make up my mind. I found this http://www.armslist.com/posts/959847/ohio-rifles-for-sale---colt-ar15-m4-22lr-nib-hi-capacity-magazine but may look into an umarex now. Does it has a dust cover like the colt does? I was in the military so I want it to look as close to a real m4 as possible. I would get a real AR but don't feel like paying for the 5.56/.223 rounds when I can get .22lr rounds so much cheaper. Can I see some pictures of yours?

Old 03-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I highly recommend S&W M&P 15-22.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #14
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1908 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbcruz12 View Post
Awesome! Thanks alot. I think you just helped me make up my mind. I found this http://www.armslist.com/posts/959847/ohio-rifles-for-sale---colt-ar15-m4-22lr-nib-hi-capacity-magazine but may look into an umarex now. Does it has a dust cover like the colt does? I was in the military so I want it to look as close to a real m4 as possible. I would get a real AR but don't feel like paying for the 5.56/.223 rounds when I can get .22lr rounds so much cheaper. Can I see some pictures of yours?
IIRC, the forward assist and bolt release on the Colt are non-functional. They just look pretty.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 03-14-2013, 04:05 AM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk
I highly recommend S&W M&P 15-22.
Where did you get all your parts at?

Old 03-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Where did you get all your parts at?
Barrel Shroud by Kineti-Tech.com
Tapco Intrafuse Vertical Short Grip
Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 w/ UTG Medium Profile Riser Mount
Speed Bolt Release by ndzperformance.com
Magpul MBUS Rear Gen2
Magpul MOE Grip
Magpul CTR w/ Enhanced Rubber Butt-Pad .70"
GRIPP MagTab from ndzperformance.com

Old 03-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #17

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Got an M&P 15-22 for $430. Nice gun, quad rail so you can add as many gadgets as you wants.
I swap accessories between it and my 5.56 to try different configurations

Name:  image-2420924235.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  31.7 KB

Old 03-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #18

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Curly_ Joe 99...Where did you get the pitcanny gas block that you replaced your front sight with and how much did it cost?

I have the Umarex Colt C 4 and the S&W M&P 15 22 and love both, however I favor the Colt 10k+ rounds with no malfunctions......The Colt is a bit more accurate than the 15 22 from the bench form 25 to 100 yards.

Last edited by dan01; 03-14-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
What's a good brand to look for? Can you mod them as easy as 5.56-.223 AR's? What are some sites for parts and such? Just looking for some good info on them before I get one. Thanks!
Check out the H&K 416D. Made by Umarex also. Mainly aluminum everything. Feels close to the same weight as a regular AR. Trouble is finding one oh and they cost quite a but more than the M&P. Picked one up and fell in love. If I could only afford one :-(

Old 03-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #20

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The HK 416d and Colt C 4 by Walther from Umarex are the same firearm except for minor cosmetic differences.......My Colt was actually a bit cheaper than the 15 22 a year ago.....15 22s are being price gouged now so I wouldn't touch one ( mags are all but nonexistent)

Don't be influenced by the hype on each of these firearms...They are all fine and quality...They are not accurate copies of the military types...Each was designed as dedicated 22 cal rifles from the get go......

Have fun with what ever brand you buy and don't regret not having bought one of the others.......They all have good and bad points...Just look at the good points of the one you have.

The only bad thing about all of them is now finding reasonably priced ammo..