Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > 22Lr Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 02:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Ugh... Fat fingers. So anyways.... The cci is quiter, but don't have the umph to cycle my GSG-5. The Remington subsonics do, and work fine. I will try them with my 597 after I fix my broken extractor.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 11-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #12

Liked 1961 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 422

The Remington bulk pack stuff is among the worst, but they have subsonic and hyper velocity stuff that I have had good luck with. Then they have their target stuff that is loaded by Eley. So, I can't blanket all Remington .22 ammo as bad.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:23 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19834 Times on 11259 Posts
Likes Given: 49979

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
The Remington bulk pack stuff is among the worst, but they have subsonic and hyper velocity stuff that I have had good luck with. Then they have their target stuff that is loaded by Eley. So, I can't blanket all Remington .22 ammo as bad.
believe it or not my M60 really does quite well with the Remington bulk pack and the Federal bulk pack ammo. the absolute worst luck i have had is the Winchester bulk pack ammo. many FTF and very dirty ammo.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:51 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think I will pick up some mini mags, couldn't find any at dicks sporting goods today, I'm not suprised though... Thanks for the advice, keep it coming

Old 11-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #15

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default .22 LRAmmo

I shoot Remington sub-sonics and CCI - SV 's( also sub-sonic). I shoot them out of a Marlin 60 and clean it every 500 rounds whether it needs it or not. Winchester Sub-Sonics jam. Cliff

Old 11-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #16

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
believe it or not my M60 really does quite well with the Remington bulk pack and the Federal bulk pack ammo. the absolute worst luck i have had is the Winchester bulk pack ammo. many FTF and very dirty ammo.
Agree on the Winchester bulk pack- Worst i ever used ---
Always saddens me a bit when i use Winchester & sad in the same sentence

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

.22 Thunderbolt is the worst ammo ever.

The caliber of the man counts more than the caliber of his gun.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:53 AM   #18

CCI Mini Mags in the boxes of 100 have cycled the absolute best in my 597. Would not recommend the bulk Federal or Remington Golden Bullets.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:09 AM   #19

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranta597
CCI Mini Mags in the boxes of 100 have cycled the absolute best in my 597. Would not recommend the bulk Federal or Remington Golden Bullets.
Those work great in my 597. (The federal and remington) Every 50 rounds or so has a ftf, but it's .22 ammo, cheap. I'm cool with that.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 11-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #20

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What becomes very clear when you read the advice here is that every rifle likes different ammo and ammo varies from one place to another around the country. Blazer has worked very, very well for me the last 2 or 3 years. It has replaced what Federal did for me for at least 25 years - it's a clean, consistently accurate bulk rate ammo. But others here have had problems with it. Some actually like Remington bulk ammo and that absolutely floors me because every other round was either a dud or barely cleared the barrel and the rest shot like a 30.06. And it was so dirty the last time I shot it that I had to stop and clean a bolt action, single shot rifle every 100 rounds or the bolt jammed up so bad I couldn't make it work. Yes I couldn't make a bolt action rifle cycle. If that's not as dirty as it gets I don't know what is. I've been around that rifle and owned that rifle for at least 45 years and I've never seen it act like that. I've rarely seen it need to be cleaned at all. But I tried to finish off a brick of Golden Bullets in it and with 200 rounds to go I had to clean the rifle TWICE just to get the bolt to slide.

You'll find lots of similar reports about Remington ammo. You'll also find some reports where people say it works great. That can only mean that they don't sell the same stuff around the country. No one could get consistent results with the Remington I bought. It just would never be possible because the charge varied so much from round to round.

Heck I can't even get Wolf to work well now after it being fabulous for years. I have about 4 bricks of it where I kept buying different lots and they all stink. I have to shoot the real expensive Eley stuff or the even more expensive Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match to get really good results now. I don't shoot much of it either because it costs too dang much.

The bottom line is that you have to find what works for you on your own. And if you find something that works well buy up as much of it as you can. I'm talking thousands or tens of thousands of rounds if you can. You may not find anything that works well again for a very long time.

This all started with the first Obama election BTW. Quality control went to heck when the shortages came along. Companies sold whatever they could push out the door as fast as possible. That's when Federal went to heck. That's when Wolf started downhill. And I saw some Winchester that was awful back then too. Now Winchester has become some better in my area. Go figure.

All you guys that voted for Obozo - thanks for making ammo go to heck. As if anyone on this board actually voted for the guy.

I just ordered some Aguila Match Rifle to try out. I hope it's as good as some have said it is. The only consistent ammo I've found for the last few years is CCI and pretty much all of their stuff has remained constant. BTW I've never seen Stingers be particularly accurate. They are accurate enough and they hit hard for hunting but they don't group that well for me. And the CCI Quiet stuff will barely kill a tree rat. I know. I shot one not long ago and it took the thing two days to die. I've never shot a squirrel that didn't die right there. I shot the thing in the back from 20 feet away. I was getting rid of nuisance squirrels for my landlord (yeah I had to move and I'm actually renting now). I hated that it didn't die quick. But what are you going to do? I shot it in a spot where it should have died instantly. I couldn't get a head shot but I shot it right through it's back. And it took 2 days for it to die. I wasn't sure it even died until my neighbor's dog dragged it in and ate it. I figured it had to but I'll never shoot another squirrel with that ammo.