Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   22Lr Ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/22lr-ammo-76955/)

95sniper 11-23-2012 11:58 PM

22Lr Ammo

What ammo would you suggest for a Remington 597? I know that this is subjective to the rifle, but I wanted to know what you guys have had luck with. I don't want to go spending a bunch of money on different types of ammunition, I have ran bulk federal ammunition through it and it has decent accuracy, but I know it could be better, Thanks

HOSSFLY 11-24-2012 02:21 PM

Try CCI Mini Mags :cool:

northhike 11-24-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 1025299)
Try CCI Mini Mags :cool:

Yep....CCI is about as good as it gets.

Blueguns 11-24-2012 03:50 PM

CCI mini mags will run good. Maybe try Fiocci if that doesn't work.

Axxe55 11-24-2012 04:33 PM

you may have to try several different types to find what it likes or is most accurate with. even two rifles of the same brand and type can have different ammo likes.

the CCI Mini Mags are good but my Marlin M60 likes the Remington bulk pack ammo the best.

Mosin 11-24-2012 05:15 PM

Remington subsonics! I've tried all the ammo at Walmart. Subsonics hold the tightest groups in my 597. I did buy a box of cci quiet rounds to see what's up with them.

Mosin 11-24-2012 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just bought last night. They're the best IMHO.

Jeff56 11-24-2012 06:18 PM

Wow I can't believe the number of people here who like Remington rimfire ammo. It has about the worst reputation of any ammo on the market. IMO it's horrible. It's dirty, it's inconsistent, it's not accurate - what else is there? I wouldn't shoot that stuff in any gun I own.

For cheaper bulk ammo try CCI Blazer. IMO the most accurate CCI ammo is CCI SV or maybe Green Tag. But that costs double what the Blazer costs. I use it for a lot of stuff but for a semi-auto I like the Blazer because it is supersonic ammo and will cycle in pretty much all semi-autos. Not all subsonic ammo (like SV or Green Tag) will do that.

Of course there is a whole world of target ammo but almost all of it is subsonic. It's very accurate but every gun likes different ammo. For a semi-auto like you have I'd try the Blazer. I might try SV to see if it will cycle if you want something more accurate. But the Blazer is pretty good these days.

I have had good results with Federal in the past but the last 2 years it has not been very good IMO. Blame Obama because quality control went down when people were hoarding ammo thinking he would do something to get it banned. We are likely to see ammo get in short supply again soon.

jjfuller1 11-25-2012 02:05 AM

Blazer and Remington are the bottom of the barrel. They do not work well in my 22s. CCI mini mags are great. As are fiocchi. Federal n Winchester are pretty decent.

Mosin 11-25-2012 03:12 AM

So update... The cci quiet .22 are a tad but quieter than the Remington subsonics, but IMHO (or, in my bad hearing) not by much.