Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22lr Ammo!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 12:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Default .22lr Ammo!

Alright, im trying to find out what the best bang for my buck is in brick .22 form. Im talking Federal, Winchester and Reminington. What I mean by this is whats going to be the cleanest, most accurate, most reliable and has the best function (in your experiance) with the 10/22? I know I know, you gotta try it yourself, but I need to know where to start for 500+ boxes of .22lr ammo. This topic may have been touched on and if it has and you could link it, that would be awsome. So far all Iv put threw mine is the mighty CCI mini-mag. Thanks ahead of time everyone!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Alright, im trying to find out what the best bang for my buck is in brick .22 form. Im talking Federal, Winchester and Reminington. What I mean by this is whats going to be the cleanest, most accurate, most reliable and has the best function (in your experiance) with the 10/22? I know I know, you gotta try it yourself, but I need to know where to start for 500+ boxes of .22lr ammo. This topic may have been touched on and if it has and you could link it, that would be awsome. So far all Iv put threw mine is the mighty CCI mini-mag. Thanks ahead of time everyone!
I've been using the Winchester super X plated hollow points. They're the best I've been able to find that're remotely reasonibly priced, and those at $5 per 100. They also make them in round nose if the range nazis get onto you about hollowpoints.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:48 AM   #3

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
I've been using the Winchester super X plated hollow points. They're the best I've been able to find that're remotely reasonibly priced, and those at $5 per 100. They also make them in round nose if the range nazis get onto you about hollowpoints.
Really? Hell for $3 more you could buy 100 Mini Mags here! SO I guess the question to ask with that in mind is which is better? CCI or those Super X, and is it worth the few dollars Id save? Last time I saw the Super x was $6.99

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 09-09-2009, 01:11 AM   #4

If you can find CCI by all means buy them, I can't and the Winchesters are the next best thing I've found. In 300 no failures. They supposedly come in 500 rd bricks for $20 or so, but no one ever has them in stock. The 100 packs are everywhere though.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:10 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Out of the five .22 rifles I own, Federal Value Pak 550's ammo is the most accurate. Next is the Winchester 333's. My Taurus Mod.63 only shoots CCI Mini Mags accurately, and they are almost $6 for a 100 ct.. The problem is finding Fed. Value Pak or Winchester 333 ammo.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-09-2009, 03:37 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you can get the Winchester Super X or the CCI Mini-Mags they will shoot well and cycle the action well. They did with my 10/22 anyway.

Around here the Win Super X are $5.49 a box of 100 and the CCI's are $6.99 a box of 100. Can't find brick .22 anywhere lately around here. I pretty much buy a box every week as I shoot them so that's why the prices are on the top of my tongue....haha

OC

"magbum"

Old 09-09-2009, 03:45 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7562 Times on 3294 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Check Wally World for Federal Champion Target- they carry the high velocity- dick's carries the Standard Velocity. About $20 a brick, and very close to the match ammo that runs me $18 per 50 rounds.

Days that I am trying really hard to squeeze that group down, it's Lapua Master, Dynamit-Nobel R 50, or Fiocchi Biathalon.

Days that the grandurchins and I are just enjoying shooting? Federal 550 bulk packs.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've found the Federal Champions to be accurate for a bulk round. You can get them for around $15 for 550 here. CCI's are the best but as mentioned they are hard to find right now and a good bit more expensive. I was able to pick up some Winchester 333s the other day but I haven't had a chance to try them yet.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I like the Winchester 333's and have also have good luck with the Federal bulk packs from Walmart. Blazer works OK as well. I avoid any rimfire ammo from Remington as I find it has the highest "dud" rate of anything.

For rimfire pin shoots I use CCI Minimags. I shoot all this ammo in a Ruger Mk II, Mk III, Sig P220, and S&W 617...

Old 09-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I avoid any rimfire ammo from Remington as I find it has the highest "dud" rate of anything.

It's funny how this has been the case since I started shooting in the 1970's. Hasn't Remington learned ANYTHING in 40 years? The Remington yellow jackets are also one of the only .22 loads where you can twist the bullet off the case. I get at least 2 squib loads out of every 100. This never happens with ANY other ammo!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"