.22lr abd 22 mag differences - Page 3


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22lr abd 22 mag differences

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #21
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 5,953
Liked 1864 Times on 1010 Posts
Likes Given: 569

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Also a 45 is bigger than a 410 or. 41 which is what a .410 is
God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did
.
You are right. The Judge and other guns that are designed to handle both are bored and rifled for the 45LC cartridge. The chambers are longer to accommodate the longer shells. The 410 shotguns are bored to .410. A 45LC will load but would probably blow up when it tried to enter the smaller bore and caused a huge pressure spike. I should have checked the true bore size on the shotgun.


__________________

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

JTJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Thats why i reload my 410 slugs with 41 mag bullets- they are the same

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did



__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:27 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ninjatoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Near Saginaw,Michigan
Posts: 1,485
Liked 164 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
.
You are right. The Judge and other guns that are designed to handle both are bored and rifled for the 45LC cartridge. The chambers are longer to accommodate the longer shells. The 410 shotguns are bored to .410. A 45LC will load but would probably blow up when it tried to enter the smaller bore and caused a huge pressure spike. I should have checked the true bore size on the shotgun.
I have dropped a .444 marlin round right in my .410 single shot shotgun and it chambered and closed up perfectly and tight.You couldn't pay me enough to fire it unless it was with a 50 ft string on the trigger
__________________

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

ninjatoth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth

I have dropped a .444 marlin round right in my .410 single shot shotgun and it chambered and closed up perfectly and tight.You couldn't pay me enough to fire it unless it was with a 50 ft string on the trigger
Ya i wouldnt advise it

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
trex1310's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mobile,Alabama
Posts: 288
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

How do you feel about wearing a patch over one eye for
the rest of your life or having yourself fitted with a glass
eye? How about picking lead, brass and steel fragments
from your hands or face? These are the kind of bad things
posters are talking about. If the firearm is not marked for
a particular cartridge, do not fire anything else in it.

__________________
NRA Life Member / Vietnam Vet
Certified in laziness
Certified in watching TV
Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg
trex1310 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
downsouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,009
Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Default

Wise advise

__________________

NEVER FORGET

downsouth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Deep East Texas Pineywoods!
Posts: 28,732
Liked 21504 Times on 12208 Posts
Likes Given: 53546

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex1310 View Post
How do you feel about wearing a patch over one eye for
the rest of your life or having yourself fitted with a glass
eye? How about picking lead, brass and steel fragments
from your hands or face? These are the kind of bad things
posters are talking about. If the firearm is not marked for
a particular cartridge, do not fire anything else in it.
well said trex, also add, blind in both forever. unless it's a well known fact, EG: such as 38 sp. in a 357 magnum or 44 sp. in a 44 magnum, only fire a cartridge in the weapon it's clearly marked for. another point to add, many of us with multiple firearms may have some that would chamber another caliber, but could be dangerous, such as, 25-06 in a 30-06 or a 7mm-08 in a 308. or a 30-30 in a 32 win. spec., ect. ect. so pay attention to your firearms and ammo.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
To the victor, go the spoils of war.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:16 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
big shrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 1,310
Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
What about a 45lc in my 410 double barrel stevens? Not going to do it, but what say you.
Probably will cause issues in an old Stevens, but works just fine in a Taurus Judge that was machined specifically to handle the extra pressure.
__________________

Calico Specialist
Marlin Specialist
I'm not just Trigger Happy, I'm Trigger Ecstatic!!

big shrek is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big shrek

Probably will cause issues in an old Stevens, but works just fine in a Taurus Judge that was machined specifically to handle the extra pressure.
Thats because the judge is bored out for 45 caliber

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:18 AM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis,Minnesota
Posts: 302
Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

We need some new recruits for the Darwin Awards for 2012. Playing "guess what I have in the chamber now" might help secure you a spot. Guns and bullets are not toys....even at the .22 level. If it's .22 mag shoot .22 mag.....nothing else.



__________________
northhike is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
what are the differences between all the different Daniel Def. V1, V2, V3, etc. ? Broke124 AR-15 Discussion 13 11-28-2011 01:23 AM
Sig 230 and 232 any differences? DodgerBlue Semi-Auto Handguns 3 09-23-2011 12:03 AM
6.8 SPC Ammo Differences? NavArch Ammunition & Reloading 4 04-05-2010 06:33 PM
S&W Differences? 1984cj Revolver Handguns 2 03-08-2010 01:50 AM
.223 and .243 differences MrTouchdown General Rifle Discussion 8 12-30-2007 11:41 AM