.22lr for a 14 year old!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22lr for a 14 year old!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Gold Coast,Queensland
Posts: 6
Default .22lr for a 14 year old!

Hey guys, I have been shooting what seems like forever and I might say im a farely good shooter. I recently just got my first job so im looking at spending some of my hard earned money.

I would like to no is it worth me importing a rifle and socpe.
Savage MKIIF Rimfire Rifle 26700, was the rifle because i like the synthetic stock as its more durable than wood considering im a kid still. ($200)
and the scope:
NcSTAR Illuminated Rifle Scope - 3-9x40E Rubber Coated Scope, i like this because its farely good price at only $65 and rubber coated, again i can bang it around and it will last a while .

i wanted this to plink, hunt small stuff, and shoot from a bench to prove to dad and uncles i can shoot properly, thats 100 metre's.

Thanks any comment would be apreciated.

__________________
kel3028 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 11-01-2010, 01:52 AM   #2
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 17,180
Liked 9542 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Default

Savage does make a decent rifle. So does Ruger, Marlin, Winchester, and remington USED to. In general a bolt action is a good first rifle. You will be more prone to concentrate on marksmanship as opposed to bangbangbangbangbang.

The illuminated scope, wellllllll........... rare that you would actually NEED the illumination- injstead look for the brighest scope with the most clarity, and ability to HOLD a setting. Rubber coated or not, banging any scope is a good way to lose zero.

You might also look around at the USED rifles at local shops- there can be some very good bargains out there.

I DO applaud you working for, and earning your first rifle. Enjoy, and shoot safe. DO get some muffs and glasses. You can hit Harbor Freight for some very inexpensive ones.

__________________

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:03 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AusLach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Coffs Harbour,New South Wales
Posts: 1,567
Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel3028 View Post
Hey guys, I have been shooting what seems like forever and I might say im a farely good shooter. I recently just got my first job so im looking at spending some of my hard earned money.

I would like to no is it worth me importing a rifle and socpe.
Savage MKIIF Rimfire Rifle 26700, was the rifle because i like the synthetic stock as its more durable than wood considering im a kid still. ($200)
and the scope:
NcSTAR Illuminated Rifle Scope - 3-9x40E Rubber Coated Scope, i like this because its farely good price at only $65 and rubber coated, again i can bang it around and it will last a while .

i wanted this to plink, hunt small stuff, and shoot from a bench to prove to dad and uncles i can shoot properly, thats 100 metre's.

Thanks any comment would be apreciated.
Hey mate, sorry but you won't be able to import the rifle over here by yourself. You'll have to go to a licenced dealer and order it through them. The Savage rifles can be bought in a package deal I believe, which will be pretty good value, but I doubt you'll find a new rifle anywhere for $200.. Like c3 said though, see if you can find a used rifle in good condition, maybe your dad and uncles can help you out by taking you to some gun shops...

Where on the GC are you? Sporty's warehouse in Bundall has good prices..
__________________
AusLach is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:22 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Gold Coast,Queensland
Posts: 6
Default

thanks guys for the quick replys. my uncle imported both my dads and mine, they were muzzleloaders, and i have found website that offer realy cheap stuff
Rifle : Savage MKIIF Rimfire Rifle 26700, 22 Long Rifle, 20.75", Bolt Action, Black Syn Stock, Blue Finish,

__________________
kel3028 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:24 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Gold Coast,Queensland
Posts: 6
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
Hey mate, sorry but you won't be able to import the rifle over here by yourself. You'll have to go to a licenced dealer and order it through them. The Savage rifles can be bought in a package deal I believe, which will be pretty good value, but I doubt you'll find a new rifle anywhere for $200.. Like c3 said though, see if you can find a used rifle in good condition, maybe your dad and uncles can help you out by taking you to some gun shops...

Where on the GC are you? Sporty's warehouse in Bundall has good prices..
I have a muzzloader my uncle had imported from america and the savage i wanted to buy was
Savage MKIIF Rimfire Rifle 26700, 22 Long Rifle, 20.75", Bolt Action, Black Syn Stock, Blue Finish,
__________________
kel3028 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:26 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Gold Coast,Queensland
Posts: 6
Default

trying to work this thing out!!!

um ok

Savage MKIIF Rimfire Rifle 26700, 22 Long Rifle, 20.75", Bolt Action, Black Syn Stock, Blue Finish, is were the rifle is at and yes i live close to sporty's.

__________________
kel3028 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Gold Coast,Queensland
Posts: 6
Default

Savage MKIIF Rimfire Rifle 26700, 22 Long Rifle, 20.75", Bolt Action, Black Syn Stock, Blue Finish,

Thats the site for the rifle.
__________________
kel3028 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:51 AM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,988
Liked 2336 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 843

Default

Savage makes a great rifle. I had a .17HMR from them and thought it was excellent. Traded it in on something I shoot more however.

__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FreedomFighter69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA,Pennsylvania
Posts: 212
Default

The Savage your talking about sells for $200 on the dot ! That's the same rifle I almost bought in Delaware, it's a nice rifle. Bolt action, stainless steel with synthetic stocks.
The one the store had though had a choppy, stiff bolt, so I opted for the Ruger 10/22 for $239 ! Both rifle's were new by the way . Folks tend to forget that a basic 22 rifle is reletively cheap. The pricier ones would be the Henry Golden Boy and the Marlin model 39 {If you could find one} their in the mid 4's$ usually. A bolt is a great rifle to start with and it's also the most accurate. Another good choice is a Falling Block but these are single shot and pretty pricey compared to a good bolt but accurate as all hell ! The Savage that comes with the scope is about $40 more, go for it !

__________________


No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .
FreedomFighter69 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AusLach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Coffs Harbour,New South Wales
Posts: 1,567
Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomFighter69 View Post
The Savage your talking about sells for $200 on the dot ! That's the same rifle I almost bought in Delaware, it's a nice rifle. Bolt action, stainless steel with synthetic stocks.
The one the store had though had a choppy, stiff bolt, so I opted for the Ruger 10/22 for $239 ! Both rifle's were new by the way . Folks tend to forget that a basic 22 rifle is reletively cheap. The pricier ones would be the Henry Golden Boy and the Marlin model 39 {If you could find one} their in the mid 4's$ usually. A bolt is a great rifle to start with and it's also the most accurate. Another good choice is a Falling Block but these are single shot and pretty pricey compared to a good bolt but accurate as all hell ! The Savage that comes with the scope is about $40 more, go for it !
He's not going to find a new bolt action Savage in Australia for under $600 dollars, I can guarantee you... And a 14 year old is never going to get his hands on a semi-automatic anything.. America and Australia have very different gun laws and prices.
__________________
AusLach is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
69 year old woman shoots 18 year old intruder BunnyWabbit The Club House 16 09-01-2010 05:23 PM
Happy New Year dukech1 The Club House 29 01-01-2010 03:49 AM
Happy new Year kdog The Club House 7 01-01-2009 09:28 PM