Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   .22lr for a 14 year old! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/22lr-14-year-old-33820/)

kel3028 11-01-2010 01:34 AM

.22lr for a 14 year old!

Hey guys, I have been shooting what seems like forever and I might say im a farely good shooter. I recently just got my first job so im looking at spending some of my hard earned money.

I would like to no is it worth me importing a rifle and socpe.
Savage MKIIF Rimfire Rifle 26700, was the rifle because i like the synthetic stock as its more durable than wood considering im a kid still. ($200)
and the scope:
NcSTAR Illuminated Rifle Scope - 3-9x40E Rubber Coated Scope, i like this because its farely good price at only $65 and rubber coated, again i can bang it around and it will last a while .

i wanted this to plink, hunt small stuff, and shoot from a bench to prove to dad and uncles i can shoot properly, thats 100 metre's.

Thanks any comment would be apreciated.

c3shooter 11-01-2010 01:52 AM

Savage does make a decent rifle. So does Ruger, Marlin, Winchester, and remington USED to. In general a bolt action is a good first rifle. You will be more prone to concentrate on marksmanship as opposed to bangbangbangbangbang.

The illuminated scope, wellllllll........... rare that you would actually NEED the illumination- injstead look for the brighest scope with the most clarity, and ability to HOLD a setting. Rubber coated or not, banging any scope is a good way to lose zero.

You might also look around at the USED rifles at local shops- there can be some very good bargains out there.

I DO applaud you working for, and earning your first rifle. Enjoy, and shoot safe. DO get some muffs and glasses. You can hit Harbor Freight for some very inexpensive ones.

AusLach 11-01-2010 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kel3028 (Post 378047)
Hey guys, I have been shooting what seems like forever and I might say im a farely good shooter. I recently just got my first job so im looking at spending some of my hard earned money.

I would like to no is it worth me importing a rifle and socpe.
Savage MKIIF Rimfire Rifle 26700, was the rifle because i like the synthetic stock as its more durable than wood considering im a kid still. ($200)
and the scope:
NcSTAR Illuminated Rifle Scope - 3-9x40E Rubber Coated Scope, i like this because its farely good price at only $65 and rubber coated, again i can bang it around and it will last a while .

i wanted this to plink, hunt small stuff, and shoot from a bench to prove to dad and uncles i can shoot properly, thats 100 metre's.

Thanks any comment would be apreciated.

Hey mate, sorry but you won't be able to import the rifle over here by yourself. You'll have to go to a licenced dealer and order it through them. The Savage rifles can be bought in a package deal I believe, which will be pretty good value, but I doubt you'll find a new rifle anywhere for $200.. Like c3 said though, see if you can find a used rifle in good condition, maybe your dad and uncles can help you out by taking you to some gun shops...

Where on the GC are you? Sporty's warehouse in Bundall has good prices..

kel3028 11-01-2010 02:22 AM

thanks guys for the quick replys. my uncle imported both my dads and mine, they were muzzleloaders, and i have found website that offer realy cheap stuff
Rifle : Savage MKIIF Rimfire Rifle 26700, 22 Long Rifle, 20.75", Bolt Action, Black Syn Stock, Blue Finish,

kel3028 11-01-2010 02:24 AM

!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AusLach (Post 378057)
Hey mate, sorry but you won't be able to import the rifle over here by yourself. You'll have to go to a licenced dealer and order it through them. The Savage rifles can be bought in a package deal I believe, which will be pretty good value, but I doubt you'll find a new rifle anywhere for $200.. Like c3 said though, see if you can find a used rifle in good condition, maybe your dad and uncles can help you out by taking you to some gun shops...

Where on the GC are you? Sporty's warehouse in Bundall has good prices..

I have a muzzloader my uncle had imported from america and the savage i wanted to buy was
Savage MKIIF Rimfire Rifle 26700, 22 Long Rifle, 20.75", Bolt Action, Black Syn Stock, Blue Finish,

kel3028 11-01-2010 02:26 AM

trying to work this thing out!!!

um ok

Savage MKIIF Rimfire Rifle 26700, 22 Long Rifle, 20.75", Bolt Action, Black Syn Stock, Blue Finish, is were the rifle is at and yes i live close to sporty's.

kel3028 11-01-2010 02:31 AM

Savage MKIIF Rimfire Rifle 26700, 22 Long Rifle, 20.75", Bolt Action, Black Syn Stock, Blue Finish,

Thats the site for the rifle.

ScottA 11-01-2010 05:51 AM

Savage makes a great rifle. I had a .17HMR from them and thought it was excellent. Traded it in on something I shoot more however.

FreedomFighter69 11-01-2010 10:40 AM

The Savage your talking about sells for $200 on the dot ! That's the same rifle I almost bought in Delaware, it's a nice rifle. Bolt action, stainless steel with synthetic stocks.
The one the store had though had a choppy, stiff bolt, so I opted for the Ruger 10/22 for $239 ! Both rifle's were new by the way . Folks tend to forget that a basic 22 rifle is reletively cheap. The pricier ones would be the Henry Golden Boy and the Marlin model 39 {If you could find one} their in the mid 4's$ usually. A bolt is a great rifle to start with and it's also the most accurate. Another good choice is a Falling Block but these are single shot and pretty pricey compared to a good bolt but accurate as all hell ! The Savage that comes with the scope is about $40 more, go for it !

AusLach 11-01-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreedomFighter69 (Post 378178)
The Savage your talking about sells for $200 on the dot ! That's the same rifle I almost bought in Delaware, it's a nice rifle. Bolt action, stainless steel with synthetic stocks.
The one the store had though had a choppy, stiff bolt, so I opted for the Ruger 10/22 for $239 ! Both rifle's were new by the way . Folks tend to forget that a basic 22 rifle is reletively cheap. The pricier ones would be the Henry Golden Boy and the Marlin model 39 {If you could find one} their in the mid 4's$ usually. A bolt is a great rifle to start with and it's also the most accurate. Another good choice is a Falling Block but these are single shot and pretty pricey compared to a good bolt but accurate as all hell ! The Savage that comes with the scope is about $40 more, go for it !

He's not going to find a new bolt action Savage in Australia for under $600 dollars, I can guarantee you... And a 14 year old is never going to get his hands on a semi-automatic anything.. America and Australia have very different gun laws and prices.