.22 to take a fox? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > .22 to take a fox?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarrow18 View Post
Oh I'd only be 25 yards max, they like to come up to my garden which is close to my house, the problem is that there is three of them and I could get one but the other two would bolt before I could even think about putting my sights on them
If that's the case leave the dead one there as a message. Animals are smarter than we give them credit for. They will either see it and stay away or see it and you have your own feeding post for the others and you can get all three.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1337 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 612

.22 is sufficient for taking a fox, but a head shot may miss altogether. A body shot will cause enough trauma to kill humanely on a small animal like a fox. Also, the skull is the most armored part of any body and if the round doesn't hit at a right angle to the bone, it can be deflected, causing a wounded animal and a failed hunt. Center of mass is almost always the proper hold for humane hunts.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #13

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Check your state's regulations. For instance, in Georgia, there is a season that applies to foxes, and they may be taken by "any .22-cal. or smaller rimfire, air rifle, or any muzzleloading firearm."

They may also be taken with shotguns utilizing shotshells 3 1/2" or smaller with No.2 or smaller shot.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

big shrek Likes This 
Old 07-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #14

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

.22 will take down a fox with no problems.
Also you might want to check your states hunting laws, just to be on the safe side.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #15

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

.22 would probably work fine. However I do quite a bit of predator hunting; Coyotes, foxes, bobcats, etc... And my recommendation is the .22 lr's big brother. The .22-250. It's a great faster traveling .22. The hornady varmint rounds are incredible. They drop em quick and you don't need headshots. I have a savage .22-250 and it is great.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #16

Liked 1133 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 740

Not sure why you'd want to kill a fox simply for eating out of your garden. We have all those varmint-type animals around here, and I don't feel a need to kill them. I'd just fence in the garden. I'd also like to see the foxes come to my yard, they're cool.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #17
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Not sure why you'd want to kill a fox simply for eating out of your garden. We have all those varmint-type animals around here, and I don't feel a need to kill them. I'd just fence in the garden. I'd also like to see the foxes come to my yard, they're cool.
Probably because he's not growing it to feed the fox and a .22 round costs far, far less than building a fence.

Fox is not something I would hunt, but I'm not going to argue with someone who is having a problem with them.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
big shrek Likes This 
Old 07-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #18

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49
Check your state's regulations. For instance, in Georgia, there is a season that applies to foxes, and they may be taken by "any .22-cal. or smaller rimfire, air rifle, or any muzzleloading firearm."

They may also be taken with shotguns utilizing shotshells 3 1/2" or smaller with No.2 or smaller shot.
But in Ga you can kill an animal/ varmint out of season if they are causing agricultural damage.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #19

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
I have a lot of foxes at my property. I to like to watch them. But they have also killed two of my cats, three of my caged rabbits. I also had them go after one of my renters Minnie-dogs. Luckily they haven't touched the veggie's.

When they start loosing there fear of man & domestic pets you have to protect your belongings & food supply.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I wouldn't mind if there wasn't my cats and other animals around, the foxes do like the catnip plant I have out there tho..

"It's not how big your stick is, it's how hard you swing it."

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives.
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.
Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation take me home?"